PDA

View Full Version : Ubi : SC - Conviction: Not available on PS3 in current state!

Peoples-Agent
05-06-07, 02:29 PM
Ubisoft: Splinter Cell Conviction Not achievable On PS3 At Current State

In a Finnish gaming magazine interview which is sure to stir up quite a bit of controversy, Ubisoft claims that the Xbox 360 exclusive title, Splinter Cell Conviction, as it stands, would not be possible to develop on the PS3. They even go as far to say that even if Conviction was a PS3 exclusive, they doubt whether they'd be able to get the game up to the level as what they're achieving with the 360. Read on for the translated lowdown.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- No more sneaking around in the shadows. Apparently you're going to be more like James Bond and infiltrate buildings in plain daylight. You won't have to use force or sneak around as long as you don't act suspiciously.

- According to the article, every single object that is rendered on screen has physical properties and most of them can be used by Sam. For example, Sam can pick up furniture and use it as a weapon, or throw printers at enemies or papers in the face of enemies to gain the upperhand in fights.

- Melee fights are much more than "press this button to hit" this time around. There's different context sensitive attack buttons and as mentioned before lots of environmental interaction.

- Some pretty negative comments about the PS3 made by the devs. They state the fact that they are exclusive to the 360 allows them to do much more than if they were multiplatform, but they also state they doubt they would be able to achieve what they're doing with the game on the 360 on the ps3 even if it was ps3 exclusive.

Those are the most important things in there. Ubi also claims the AI is really good and the magazine says the AI for example makes cover out of chairs and tables.

Let the Hentai Wetdream lovers brigade jump to the PS3s defence commence.

Mr_LoL
05-06-07, 02:31 PM
Wow. Must have blown your load over your 360 over this news eh.

Peoples-Agent
05-06-07, 02:34 PM
Not as such, but I still got 500 burning a hole in my pocket not going to waste.

Wonder if there is any truth in what that Sony director said about releasing an updated PS4 in 18 months time, with the PS5 and 6 to follow all connectable to a single network online in some new surreal Sony world.

PeterJensen
05-06-07, 02:43 PM
There is an error in the news translation....Seem the reason for it not hitting the PS3 is that the "ligtning system" would need to be written all over..

Banko
05-06-07, 02:44 PM
Wow, nice comments they don't even say why it can't be achievable on the PS3.

PeterJensen
05-06-07, 02:45 PM
http://www.n4g.com/News-38137.aspx

What they said is the code for the lighting system would have to be different if the game was multi-plat.

Peoples-Agent
05-06-07, 02:49 PM
Brings up a whole new level of discussion, so the "lighting system"..... harder and less cost effective to code for on the PS3?

Why are games generally being prioritised for the 360 rather than just "ease of coding". Has to be more to it than that.

I'm seriously disappointed, I was going to buy a PS3 ...but having played games on both systems, the 360 always has an edge somewhere.

For such an expensive console, this surely shouldn't be the case.

|MaguS|
05-06-07, 03:10 PM
Um... the game was announced exclusive to the X360 (no PC version either) since it was first announced last year.

Sure the lighting engine would have to be rewritten... its right now being written for the unified architecture only... its not written to be used on any other GPU. It's like saying a game specifically written for the CELL wouldn't run on the X360 CPU unless it was rewritten... which is true since they are completly different.

toxikneedle
05-06-07, 03:15 PM
eh who cares i can already see the game sucking.

kevJ420
05-06-07, 03:25 PM
The lighting engine will probably look better when it's done for the ps3.

Anyways, if this is done by the same team as the last one, then I don't expect much effort put in for the PC version if there even is one.

I hope everyone knows that what's possible with a 10:10:10:2 RT format is possible with a fp16 one.

If I know it, then I think everyone should know it.

NOTE: I'm basing this post on the future possiblilty that the exclusivity deal is broken.

Knot3D
05-06-07, 04:43 PM

QFT, even myself as a SC fan am inclined to say PS3 gamers aren't gonna miss much ; in fact, they'll get a true stealth game in MGS4.

Hex
05-06-07, 06:32 PM
I love how the last two Splinter Cell games were total forgettable crap and all of the sudden since this one is set to be 360 exclusive (for now) people talk like it is the most amazing game ever.

RAY16
05-06-07, 06:42 PM
I love how the last two Splinter Cell games were total forgettable crap and all of the sudden since this one is set to be 360 exclusive (for now) people talk like it is the most amazing game ever.

The last two? The would include Chaos Theory.... BLASPHEMY!

toxikneedle
05-06-07, 07:51 PM
Well Chaos Theory was good, i wouldn't call it forgettable crap. But this is the sequel to Double Agent, so therefore yeah itll suck.

All I know is if they just continued making Splinter Cell type games, like 1, 2, and 3 were... I wouldn't be complaining. I don't see why they got this sudden urge to make a whole new game for no reason.

Amuro
05-06-07, 10:19 PM
QFT, even myself as a SC fan am inclined to say PS3 gamers aren't gonna miss much ; in fact, they'll get a true stealth game in MGS4.
QFT x 2! I uninstalled SC - DA the same day I bought the game. MGS for the win!

Badboy_12345
05-07-07, 02:36 AM
The lighting engine will probably look better when it's done for the ps3.

or not... :bleh:

Arioch
05-07-07, 03:09 AM
Oh no system X can play a game that system Y can't.

SebC
05-07-07, 05:58 AM
I know what's coming now...
teh c3LLLL!!!!
Please don't say it :bleh:

H3avyM3tal
05-07-07, 07:43 AM
Lol.

I hope this preety much sums it up.

nekrosoft13
05-07-07, 07:50 AM

so true, what the **** is ubi doing to themself

Lyme
05-07-07, 12:32 PM
Is there any linkage to the text of the story, or was it in a magazine. I really dislike quotes of translations of quotes and never seeing the original.

Lyme
05-07-07, 12:37 PM
I hope everyone knows that what's possible with a 10:10:10:2 RT format is possible with a fp16 one.

If I know it, then I think everyone should know it.

And? That is significant to this discussion how?