PDA

View Full Version : Free, non-BS places to download patches and demoes.

kevJ420
05-06-07, 03:08 PM
I'm getting pretty pissed, b/c every single place I've looked for lately to download updates and demos requires you to commit, and it's really pissing me off.

So does anyone know a place to get all patches and all demos released from the 90s to present free and without mad signing up and w/o heavy-ass registering?

If it were the people who made the game I'd be more than happy to pay them (the developers.) But it's not, so I think gamespot and ign should limit charging for content they did, not something others' did.

|MaguS|
05-06-07, 03:18 PM
gamershell but I wouldn't support them... pirate friendly website...

Filefront and 3DGamers don't require any form of login either.

Quickstar
05-06-07, 03:29 PM
I use fileplanet, it automatically signs me in when i visit their site. Actually, every place i got to (filefront, fileplanet, 3dgamers, etc) signs me in automatically. I don't pay a dime to either of them.

kmf
05-06-07, 03:41 PM
I have used fileshack for about 4 years now without problems. may want to give them a try. They seem to have far less clutter on their page as well.

MustangSVT
05-06-07, 06:10 PM
Filefront. No registration required, very fast.

SebC
05-06-07, 06:16 PM
I've always used Gamespot. Can't remember if you actually need an account to download, but if you do, then other than that there is no b/s. Just go to the non-confusing downloads page and click it.

I've now been subscribed for a few months too, since it gives you a lot of benefits, especially maximum speed downloads (highest download speeds I've ever seen on my computer).

MustangSVT
05-06-07, 06:54 PM
Gamespot you have to be registered.

Banko
05-06-07, 07:05 PM
Fileshack is honestly the cleanest, you don't need an account but you get capped then. But I got an account which lets me max out my connection on their Chicago, IL server.

KasuCode
05-06-07, 08:06 PM
After I got fios I started looking for sites that would let me get a great download speed. One of the bet sites for downloading game patches and demos I found to be is http://videogames.yahoo.com/platform?platform=4 every other site I have tried to get patches from sits around 1mb if that. No signing up. No agree page. no mirror links. Works nice and fast.

grey_1
05-06-07, 08:11 PM
Filefront. No registration required, very fast.
My favorite also. Their only downside I've seen, they may tend to lag a deay or so after a demo or patch gets released.

Overall very happy with them.

CaptNKILL
05-06-07, 09:37 PM
My fileplanet\IGN Founder's Club subscription is almost up and I'm probably going to renew it.

I'd much rather spend some money now to save myself a whole lot of time over the next year. The downloads are extremely fast (either from 3d Gamers or Fileplanet), I'm guaranteed to get any high-profile files when they are available and I can get into most betas easily. I can also watch or download any HD videos or trailers and access anything on the IGN network with no trouble.

Its just so much better than having to fight for limited bandwidth on unreliable servers after spending 12 hours searching for a link that isn't broken. Screw that. :p

nekrosoft13
05-06-07, 11:26 PM
My fileplanet\IGN Founder's Club subscription is almost up and I'm probably going to renew it.

i got it for free ;)

Rakeesh
05-07-07, 12:48 AM
Filefront. No registration, no waiting, no speed cap, and very fast.

Stay away from fileplanet though, it uses excessive gayness and idjit speak. It's exactly like the MTV of gaming sites.

retsam
05-07-07, 01:12 AM

Stay away from fileplanet though, it uses excessive gayness and idjit speak. It's exactly like the MTV of gaming sites.
i couldnt agree more, i use fileplanet just because its one of the few sites that can feed my 30meg fios addiction...

crainger
05-07-07, 01:18 AM
Another vote for Filefront :D

Although now my gf and I have gone halves in a Gamespot Subscription. Our ISP bumped us up to 8mb and we thought may as well get faster downloads and higher def content. So I get my fast patches and my gf gets her high def Wii reviews :D

MustangSVT
05-07-07, 01:47 AM
Filefront is pretty fast too (referring to people talking about subscriptions). I usually get around the 600+ kb/s mark from them, my maximum download being around 1100. I can see paying for Fileplanet maybe if you want all those exclusive demos or betas or whatever, but I'm not into that kind of thing.

Lfctony
05-07-07, 02:09 AM
Filefront.

Badboy_12345
05-07-07, 02:33 AM
gamershell but I wouldn't support them... pirate friendly website...

how is gamershell pirate friendly??? :confused:

g-a-m-e
05-07-07, 02:37 PM
3dgamers , gamershell, well, that's all i use i think ...

Every single site that starts with 'file...' makes me literally destroy things that are around me at that moment, that is, if i'm not having a seizure http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/2527/homervn8.gif

oh god, i hate them so, i just cannot navigate through them without wanting to kill those that designed it .

p.s; gamershell always gives me about 500 kb/s, which is about the fastest i can download from any website

stncttr908
05-07-07, 03:32 PM
I like Fileshack, Filefront, etc.

I used to use 3DGamers all the time, but then IGN took them over and it went to total ****e.

snilloconator
05-07-07, 04:48 PM

LMFAO!!! I feel the same way they suck ballz!!!

FILEFRONT