PDA

View Full Version : desktop gamma setting and 3d gaming

doublejdog
05-06-07, 08:26 PM
I set the desktop gamma to 14% which looks great. When I play games the setting appears to set itself back and 3d looks a bit washed out. The desktop color does load correctly a bootup. I'm using 158.18 and Vista Ult 32. The video gamma is only for video playback from what I see. I just want to darken my games like before in XP through the driver settings. Any help would be great.

grey_1
05-06-07, 08:33 PM
You must be using an lcd?

Personally I go through hell with mine. I've even considered going back to a crt.

I get FEAR looking perfect, STALKER looks washed out. I adjust that and Doom 3 looks like crap.

It's alot of trial and error for me, never ending. But I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread to see if anyone offers a good solution.

doublejdog
05-06-07, 08:39 PM
I am. But with the older drivers with the old cp and XP everything stayed in sync with a lcd. Tiger 07, STALKER, Nascar racing 2003 look washed out bigtime.

grey_1
05-06-07, 08:46 PM
I hear you. The only thing thats given me any relief is setting the gamma to an "acceptable" level, and then working with in game contrasts and brightness. Thats where my happiest mediums are.

Slammin
05-07-07, 11:23 AM
On my Dell, I cranked the LCD color settings up to almost the level you can get with DV under XP.

I set:

RED=47
Green=45
Blue=45

as a user preset. I then under Vista set:

Brightness=27
Contrast=20
Gamma=36

Everything looks great but of course when I boot into XP it's too vibrant, so I just use two color profiles, one called default and another called games.

I do hope they add the taskbar icon to Vista and color profiles though.

grey_1
05-07-07, 11:47 AM
On my Dell, I cranked the LCD color settings up to almost the level you can get with DV under XP.

I set:

RED=47
Green=45
Blue=45

as a user preset. I then under Vista set:

Brightness=27
Contrast=20
Gamma=36

Everything looks great but of course when I boot into XP it's too vibrant, so I just use two color profiles, one called default and another called games.

I do hope they add the taskbar icon to Vista and color profiles though.
I just set these in my monitor and Vista also, thanks. What do you set your monitors brightness at? With these settings I had to turn mine up to 80% to get a vibrant "not washed out " look.

doublejdog
05-08-07, 07:31 AM
Well, I set the gamma for each game seperately. Everything looks fine now. Interesting though, FSX appears to take the desktop color setting at launch. It would be nice to see a cp update where you can adjust both 3d and desktop color settings like ATI's.

Slammin
05-08-07, 09:36 AM
I just set these in my monitor and Vista also, thanks. What do you set your monitors brightness at? With these settings I had to turn mine up to 80% to get a vibrant "not washed out " look.

I'm using the DVI connection, so the only thing I can adjust is the RGB.