PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Console disappoints again

Pages : [1] 2

zoomy942
05-07-07, 02:06 PM
Okay, so the VC on the Wii is letting me down again. I look with bated breath at the Monday news EVERY WEEK and yet again.. nada

here are the releases

Final Fight (1player, SNES, 800 Wii points)
Ordyne (1 - 2 players, TurboGrafx16, 600 Wii points)
Mighty Bomb Jack (1 player, NES, 500 Wii Points)

where the hell is super mario 3?

kevJ420
05-07-07, 02:26 PM
Okay, so the VC on the Wii is letting me down again. I look with bated breath at the Monday news EVERY WEEK and yet again.. nada

here are the releases

Final Fight (1player, SNES, 800 Wii points)
Ordyne (1 - 2 players, TurboGrafx16, 600 Wii points)
Mighty Bomb Jack (1 player, NES, 500 Wii Points)

where the hell is super mario 3?

Who the hell would want to play FF for the Super NES?

If they had the Sega CD version that would be great, but of course Nintendo sees no difference between the 2. Although the super nes has better graphics, the sega cd version has a time attack mode with a majorly cool looking level.

They should do Final Fight 3 befor they put the super nes ver. of the 1st.

Like I've been saying, don't expect much good from your wii.

zoomy942
05-07-07, 02:37 PM

If they had the Sega CD version that would be great, but of course Nintendo sees no difference between the 2. Although the super nes has better graphics, the sega cd version has a time attack mode with a majorly cool looking level.

wait wait wait. ill be deep in the cold cold ground before i say the Wii hasnt been fun.

i have avioded purchasing consoles because i cant see spending any money on something that i can enjoy with my wife. i slept outside of Target on release day to get one and i havent looked back. not only has it reintriduced the ability to actually have fun while playing games (instead of pissin and moaning about l33t graphics), it has, without fail, been a hit with anyone that has ever tried it. i have yet to find a person who didnt have fun trying it out. i am selective about my game choices, and i enjoy all of them (not counting zelda). my wife herself says all the time, that the Wii was the best $250 i have spent shince she met me. she loves it, i love it, and i dont agree in the least to not expect much good.

on a different note, i am growing weary of people saying the Wii doesnt offer much. maybe it doesnt offer much TO YOU, but to me and oh i dont know, about 6 million other people, it offers something.

kevJ420
05-07-07, 02:44 PM
wait wait wait. ill be deep in the cold cold ground before i say the Wii hasnt been fun.

i have avioded purchasing consoles because i cant see spending any money on something that i can enjoy with my wife. i slept outside of Target on release day to get one and i havent looked back. not only has it reintriduced the ability to actually have fun while playing games (instead of pissin and moaning about l33t graphics), it has, without fail, been a hit with anyone that has ever tried it. i have yet to find a person who didnt have fun trying it out. i am selective about my game choices, and i enjoy all of them (not counting zelda). my wife herself says all the time, that the Wii was the best $250 i have spent shince she met me. she loves it, i love it, and i dont agree in the least to not expect much good.

on a different note, i am growing weary of people saying the Wii doesnt offer much. maybe it doesnt offer much TO YOU, but to me and oh i dont know, about 6 million other people, it offers something.

You're right. More people do find value in the wii.

zoomy942
05-07-07, 02:48 PM
You're right. More people do find value in the wii.

right on. can we be friends again? :hug:

thor1182
05-07-07, 02:57 PM
you don't want to be friends with him unless you want your IQ to drop 100 points by association.

kevJ420
05-07-07, 03:01 PM
right on. can we be friends again? :hug:

we were always friends=)

zoomy942
05-07-07, 05:21 PM
so, anyway:)

i am waiting around for Super Mario 3, Super Mario World, and Pilotwings.

Those are gonna be great, but nintendo needs to stop releasing low-end games for the VC. Who cares about Ordyne? i dont even know what it is.

the day the Wii releases Pirates on the VC is the day my life will be complete.

kevJ420
05-07-07, 06:04 PM
Super Mario 3? Just hook up your NES and play it that way :D

The virtual console was never really of much interest to me since I've got my old NES and everything still works fine. I'm sure that in the event my NES died I might be interested in it though.

I would personally buy one of those super nes + nintendo combos.

They're pretty damn cheap.

I have an NES only one that I got before the combo came out.

Then I have the original model of the NES.

I've always wanted a top-loading one, but I've lost track of where it can be bought modded with composite output. Weird that it came out in 93 w/ only rf output, 2 years after the original model of the Super NES.

Although the Faguar and 3DO were first released in 93 also, and I know the faguar came out with only an RF switch, and I thought the 1st 3DO's only came w/ RF switches, but I could very well be wrong about that.

If I'm not, then it was kind of dumb to ship a multimedia machine w/ an rf switch.

Ninja Prime
05-07-07, 10:49 PM

You can't put a CD anything on the wii's 512mb flash chip/harddrive. CD= 650 megs.

|MaguS|
05-07-07, 11:03 PM
You can't put a CD anything on the wii's 512mb flash chip/harddrive. CD= 650 megs.

Yes because Castlevania Symphony of the Night is 650megs on Xbox Live...

Ninja Prime
05-07-07, 11:13 PM
Yes because Castlevania Symphony of the Night is 650megs on Xbox Live...

Yes... and how big is it then oh almighty random fact checker? Let me just save you the time: Too big for a 512mb Hdd.

Sure, you could probably fit some of that stuff, but the idea of the VC isnt to put 2 or 3 games on your wii that come with a bunch of CD crap from the Sega CD days. X-box live had what, a 50mb limit (was raised, but nonetheless) with their 20gb Hdd, there has to be limits on such a small Hdd.

nemecb
05-08-07, 10:18 AM
Well, unfortunately they're probably going to space out the really good stuff since the vc is still selling ridiculously well. I heard somewhere that they've pulled in about 23 million from vc sales alone so far. Not bad for basically providing an emulator and roms.

I haven't really gotten in to the vc yet. Prices are a little high IMHO and so far I haven't run out of games to play for the GC and Wii.

Mr. Hunt
05-08-07, 11:41 AM
Not hard to believe with these prices... 8 bucks for a freaking SNES game? Are they smoking massive amounts of crack?

kevJ420
05-08-07, 06:12 PM

That's one thing I thought I was loud about was when I bitched that games are limited to that tiny size and that not much would possible on the VC.

I didn't say that FF CD was possible on the wii, but I do see where I didn't point that out in this thread.

I've always thought, "what good is it if they can only do cartridge games?"

zoomy942
05-08-07, 06:18 PM
the VC isnt Xbox live. they dont have game demos for the latest releases or anything like that. its designed to be a place for old school games.

kevJ420
05-08-07, 06:26 PM
Not hard to believe with these prices... 8 bucks for a freaking SNES game? Are they smoking massive amounts of crack?

I've been saying the whole time that it's Nintendo's nature to rip people off.

People argue with me everytime I say that, but people need look at the statisitics before they judge Sony, Sega, and Nintendo.

Nintendo wouldn't be Nintendo if they didn't rip people off.

I think people need to realise that although $250 is cheap for a console these days, Nintendo's still ripping everyone off who ever supported them.

If I wanted a PS3 bad enough, and a Wii a lot more than that, I'd buy the PS3simply out of respect to Sony and so I wouldn't be paying Nintendo ****.

I bet Nintendo takes all of the money for games they overcharge for that they didn't even make, like Final Fight as an example.

I'm going to start making donations to Capcom and Konami if they allow it, so I can give them back some of what Nintendo stole.

thor1182
05-08-07, 08:34 PM
I've been saying the whole time that it's Nintendo's nature to rip people off.

People argue with me everytime I say that, but people need look at the statisitics before they judge Sony, Sega, and Nintendo.

Nintendo wouldn't be Nintendo if they didn't rip people off.

I think people need to realise that although $250 is cheap for a console these days, Nintendo's still ripping everyone off who ever supported them.

If I wanted a PS3 bad enough, and a Wii a lot more than that, I'd buy the PS3simply out of respect to Sony and so I wouldn't be paying Nintendo ****.

I bet Nintendo takes all of the money for games they overcharge for that they didn't even make, like Final Fight as an example.

I'm going to start making donations to Capcom and Konami if they allow it, so I can give them back some of what Nintendo stole.

is there a tool icon? I guess :headexplode: will have to work.

nemecb
05-08-07, 10:15 PM
is there a tool icon? I guess :headexplode: will have to work.
Actually, there is: :tool: :D

Kev, if you can come up with a coherent argument as to why Sony is better than Nintendo that doesn't involve "OMG Nintendo is a business that makes a profit! They must be evil!" then we'll discuss it with you. Otherwise, kindly GTFO.

kevJ420
05-08-07, 11:01 PM
Actually, there is: :tool: :D

Kev, if you can come up with a coherent argument as to why Sony is better than Nintendo that doesn't involve "OMG Nintendo is a business that makes a profit! They must be evil!" then we'll discuss it with you. Otherwise, kindly GTFO.

I've said it many times before, but I'll be happy to give you the true fact-stats at your request. I'll only provide a few since I've already gone over this, but here they are:

The wii costs no more than $159 to make. Nintendo charges 250 for it.
It's not that I don't think they should make a profit, but if they do they should still give good graphics hardware or something to make it more powerful than it is. Meanwhile, Sony gives well over $300 worth of free good things. 3 consoles in one, the most powerful console, a perfectly working blu-ray player, made sure that the blu-ray lasers were 100% reliable, listening to DVD laser complaints from the PS2 (while Nintendo admits they don't make games for anyone other than themselves.) They didn't provide an HDMI cable. Big ****ing deal. Plus it gives you more of a reason to buy a better one than any console maker would ever supply, save Sega=)

Think about how powerless the Wii is. That includes many, many things, and it affects many, many things. Remember when NBA Jam came out on the Genesis and Super NES? Well, think about how the Genesis version looked compared to the Super NES one. It was due to the fact that Nintendo once had the console that could display more colors. Think about how the Genesis one sounded. That was due to the Genesis not having superior audio capabilities.

The Genesis was faster.

Nintendo now has no hardware advantages over the competition.

Also, the facts were that 3rd parties clearly preferred working for Sega than Nintendo.

Like I said they'd rather support a CD system (the Sega Saturn) that had no chance in the U.S., rather than a somewhat successful console that used carts, which Nintendo did only for themselves, against the wishes of almost everyone else. Evidence of this:

1. Capcom only published 3 N64 games in the piece of ****'s lifetime, only 2 of which they developed and only one was unique to the system and it was Mickey Mouse's Magical Tetris Challenge. The others were Mega Man Legends, and RE2, which was developed by Angel Studios who were used to the N64.

2. Capcom supported Sega and the Saturn to the fullest. Perhaps it was b/c Nintendo had (attempted) intimidated Capcom, placed restrictions on them, and charged them more for ROM chips and licensing fees. Capcom wasn't the only one either. The Saturn had way more 3rd party games than the N64.

The last thing i'm going to say is that a lot of people are complaining that the VC's games are too expensive. Add to that it can't do CD games.
I don't **** with the VC b/c i either own the originals or have access to them on either a collection or 2, gametap, and the PS3 when it has a game I'm interested in exclusively. There's other things that give you more for your dollar than the Wii.

I not only preach against Nintendo, I try to help people out. I realise that the Wii is right for some people, but I try to help people to have the most fun and not get ripped off.

It's not that i don't think companies should make a profit. most jobs I wouldn't do unless i profitted from it. It's simply how you profit. You shouldn't rip people off to make a profit.

My analogy is that nintendo is charging the price for a 2007 Ferarri, but giving the quality and value of a 25-year-old, beat-up, piece of **** cadillac.

thor1182
05-09-07, 12:02 AM
the PS3 is not the most powerful. If anything it is the weaker between the 360 and the PS3 because whatever power is there is very very hard to actually do anything with. You really have to stop with that whole "Sony is giving away crap" hard on because you are very misguided.

Second that with the fact that they are trying to force their format to help their bottom line, nothing with trying to be a "nicer company." And it is not a perfectly good BR player, it has ****ty scaling issues because Sony thought it all wise not to put one in there.

Personally, Sony is ripping people off with the 600 price tag because as a game console it is not really doing anything that is worth while. Heaven forbid you buy a game console to play GAMES!

People enjoy their Wii, and you just can't seem to get over that. Deal with it!

NaitoSan
05-09-07, 01:06 AM
Kev is Sony and Sega lover and begs to sleep with them but keep getting denied by them. Moment of truth!

Ok, personally Nintendo and Microsoft are companies that I actually do admire. They did more behind the scene like dontating a lot of stuff to children's hospital, etc. Bill Gate did a lot like donating computers to school that needs them, millions of dollars out of his bank to help building schools in 3rd world, etc. Nintendo is focusing on more traditional and profitable console. Slowly they're going for something new like Wii-mote. Soon we'll see Wii successor to offer HD gaming with wii-mote... again, for low price (gotta love R&D) :eek: I like Microsoft because they don't force us to buy that we don't REALLY need and their price tag is reasonable for HD gaming. Hell, X360 is only console that has a lot of titles available (no, I don't count backward compitable games).

I don't see Sony doing that unless I'm mistaken. All I see from Sony is marketing with high price tags and keep coming up with new, revision of nearly same thing in such short time. PS3 is too expensive (but I got one anyway just because I was depressed lol) and still lacking good titles. If you're a hardcore Sony fan, you'll try to catch up with the Jones.

Does this make sense at all? :retard: I'm half sleepy and a bit drunk. (nana2)

PS: I like Sony, but not everything from them are great. Same for Microsoft and Nintendo.

Tygerwoody
05-09-07, 08:51 AM
I
My analogy is that nintendo is charging the price for a 2007 Ferarri
$250 for a Ferrari? :wtf:

zoomy942
05-09-07, 09:03 AM
here's the thing. kev may say that the Wii is under powered... he may say that nintnedo shouldnt make this much profit if the graphics arent l33t, and he may say that S0rny and Jebus go snorkeling together.. but the simple fact of the matter is this...

graphics ARE NOT important if gameplay sucks. lets count how may titles have decent gameply on the PS3... umm... 1.

now, count them on the Wii.. well, look at my sig and thats a good start.

if the gameplay sucks or is uninspired, then who cares about the look?

and props to nintendo for being able to offer a fun console for less than a kings ransom. if the wii cost $119, you would complain about the same stuff. having a $250 price point means lots more poeople can buy it; this also means that nintendo m,akes a profit. this is helpful because they have 2 or 3 employees who like to get paid to feed their families.

everybody wins.

nemecb
05-09-07, 09:45 AM
I've said it many times before, but I'll be happy to give you the true fact-stats at your request. I'll only provide a few since I've already gone over this, but here they are:
Ooh, this is going to be fun...

The wii costs no more than $159 to make. Nintendo charges 250 for it.
Source? Last I heard the Wii was closer to $200 (189 or something). It's possible I'm wrong. And who cares? A lot of stuff gets marked up way more than the paltry 55% that a manufacturing price of $159 would make (not counting the retailers cut).
It's not that I don't think they should make a profit, but if they do they should still give good graphics hardware or something to make it more powerful than it is.
Why? At this very moment 6.5 million people have stated that gameplay > graphics and there are more waiting in line to say the same thing. So what obligation does Nintendo have to make their hardware more powerful? The games are fun, and that should be all that matters.

Meanwhile, Sony gives well over $300 worth of free good things. 3 consoles in one,
Indeed. As opposed to Nintendo's 2 + half a dozen VC's. Seems they're about even (and don't tell me about the VC being overpriced, Sony's not giving away PS1 games either).
the most powerful console,
debatable
a perfectly working blu-ray player, made sure that the blu-ray lasers were 100% reliable,
Yes, if you want a Blu-Ray player, the PS3 is a great deal. I don't. And I would certainly hope they didn't intentionally ship defective stuff. Mind you we don't really know how the drive is going to hold up since it's only been out for six months.
(while Nintendo admits they don't make games for anyone other than themselves.)
Well, that's almost what they said. Actually it was more of a "shoving innovation down your throat whether you want it or not", but whatever. Quotes are made to be incorrectly paraphrased out of context.:D

Think about how powerless the Wii is. That includes many, many things, and it affects many, many things. Remember when NBA Jam came out on the Genesis and Super NES? Well, think about how the Genesis version looked compared to the Super NES one. It was due to the fact that Nintendo once had the console that could display more colors. Think about how the Genesis one sounded. That was due to the Genesis not having superior audio capabilities.

The Genesis was faster.
WTF do the SNES and Genesis have to do with the Wii being powerless? Yes, the Wii has less graphics horsepower than the other consoles. I don't think anyone has claimed otherwise.

Nintendo now has no hardware advantages over the competition.
Wiimote ringing any bells?

Also, the facts were that 3rd parties clearly preferred working for Sega than Nintendo.
Again, WTF? Who cares if third parties preferred working for Sega? Look what that got them. It's ancient history.

Like I said they'd rather support a CD system (the Sega Saturn) that had no chance in the U.S., rather than a somewhat successful console that used carts, which Nintendo did only for themselves, against the wishes of almost everyone else. Evidence of this:

1. Capcom only published 3 N64 games in the piece of ****'s lifetime, only 2 of which they developed and only one was unique to the system and it was Mickey Mouse's Magical Tetris Challenge. The others were Mega Man Legends, and RE2, which was developed by Angel Studios who were used to the N64.

2. Capcom supported Sega and the Saturn to the fullest. Perhaps it was b/c Nintendo had (attempted) intimidated Capcom, placed restrictions on them, and charged them more for ROM chips and licensing fees. Capcom wasn't the only one either. The Saturn had way more 3rd party games than the N64.
Again, no bearing on the Wii. Nintendo has made mistakes in the past. Trying to simply put faster hardware in their consoles without any other innovation being one of them as well.

The last thing i'm going to say is that a lot of people are complaining that the VC's games are too expensive.
This I can agree with.
Add to that it can't do CD games.
I don't **** with the VC b/c i either own the originals or have access to them on either a collection or 2, gametap, and the PS3 when it has a game I'm interested in exclusively.
Wonderful. So the VC is not a problem for you. At least the games are available to people who don't own the original consoles and don't want to/can't download roms.
There's other things that give you more for your dollar than the Wii.
In your opinion.

I not only preach against Nintendo, I try to help people out. I realise that the Wii is right for some people, but I try to help people to have the most fun and not get ripped off.
Funny, sounds like you should be pushing the Wii then. It's cheap and it's a lot of fun. Doesn't sound like a ripoff to me.

It's not that i don't think companies should make a profit. most jobs I wouldn't do unless i profitted from it. It's simply how you profit. You shouldn't rip people off to make a profit.
You still have not proven to me that Nintendo is ripping anyone off. You get exactly what you pay for. If they were shipping dead consoles and refusing to replace them, that would be a ripoff. Charging a price that makes them a profit (and $10 less for games, I might add) is not ripping people off.

My analogy is that nintendo is charging the price for a 2007 Ferarri, but giving the quality and value of a 25-year-old, beat-up, piece of **** cadillac.
You're only off by a couple orders of magnitude with that analogy. But nice try.

Alright, I've had my fun. Back to work.:(