PDA

View Full Version : Miyamoto: 'I Could Make Halo'

Pages : [1] 2

|MaguS|
05-07-07, 02:12 PM
"I could make Halo. It's not that I couldn't design that game. It's just that I choose not to. One thing about my game design is that I never try to look for what people want and then try to make that game design. I always try to create new experiences that are fun to play."

This is just so funny, he states that he likes to create "new" experiances but if I recall correctly... he hasn't in the last few years... Seriously, his comment is a load of ****. Zelda and Mario have not changed or offer any new experiances in years... how many Pokemon games has Nintendo released over the years? If anything Nintendo is one of the worse at driving an IP into the ground.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3159254

kevJ420
05-07-07, 02:22 PM
This is just so funny, he states that he likes to create "new" experiances but if I recall correctly... he hasn't in the last few years... Seriously, his comment is a load of ****. Zelda and Mario have not changed or offer any new experiances in years... how many Pokemon games has Nintendo released over the years? If anything Nintendo is one of the worse at driving an IP into the ground.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3159254

I agree that the comment is a load of **** and that Nintendo is the worst at driving IPs into the ground (if that means intellectual properties.)

Nintendo has ruined (changed) Metroid for me so much that they almost have driven the franchise into the ground.

Part of it's due to ****ty hardware, but also b/c the zero mission was the last one that was true to super metroid.

But then again, Miyamoto didn't do Metroid, the late Gumpei(Gunpei) Yokoi created the series and did the 3rd one.

It sucks that he died, but I'll always be grateful to him for Super Metroid.

zoomy942
05-07-07, 02:25 PM
yikes. there's no nintendo love here.:)

Namrok
05-07-07, 02:26 PM
*blink*

Let me see if I get this.

MaguS complains that Nintendo never changes their IP, just the same thing over and over again.

Then kev goes "YEAH! They changed Metroid so much I didn't even like it!"

... :wtf:

Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess.

|MaguS|
05-07-07, 02:28 PM
You understood his post? o_0

Namrok, Didn't say Nintendo hasn't changed their products but rather Miyamoto claiming he creates new experiances when well he doesn't and hasn't in a LONG time. Then I went on a rant about Nintendo killing their IPs...

kevJ420
05-07-07, 02:29 PM
*blink*

Let me see if I get this.

MaguS complains that Nintendo never changes their IP, just the same thing over and over again.

Then kev goes "YEAH! They changed Metroid so much I didn't even like it!"

... :wtf:

Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess.

What I was pointing out was that Nintendo has changed metroid so much that they may as well have driven that intellectual property into the ground.

|MaguS|
05-07-07, 02:30 PM
What I was pointing out was that Nintendo has changed metroid so much that they may as well have driven that intellectual property into the ground.

Please never agree with me again...

superklye
05-07-07, 02:57 PM
I love how he flat-out said he doesn't care what his customer base wants and instead designs the games that he wants.

kevJ420
05-07-07, 03:04 PM
I love how he flat-out said he doesn't care what his customer base wants and instead designs the games that he wants.

He's always said that.

He says it all the time.

That's simply Nintendo's nature.

thor1182
05-07-07, 03:17 PM
He's always said that.

He says it all the time.

That's simply Nintendo's nature.

and whats wrong with wanting to make a game that you want more than the stupid populace likes. More dumb people in the world than smart ones.

stncttr908
05-07-07, 03:31 PM
and whats wrong with wanting to make a game that you want more than the stupid populace likes. More dumb people in the world than smart ones.
I would have thought the hundreds of millions in losses (before the Wii and DS, anyway) would make the answer to your question obvious.

Unless you were being sarcastic.

thor1182
05-07-07, 03:34 PM
Not really. I think there is a point where you need to balance both rather than focus on one extreme or another.

Lyme
05-07-07, 03:38 PM
I doubt he could have designed a Halo. It contains a large amount of western themes, while the early Zelda's and Mario do not. It is simply a difference in mindset, rather than capability.

|MaguS|
05-07-07, 03:57 PM
I doubt he could have designed a Halo. It contains a large amount of western themes, while the early Zelda's and Mario do not. It is simply a difference in mindset, rather than capability.

Funny thing is that Zelda is selling better in America then it is in Japan...

Lyme
05-07-07, 04:00 PM
Funny thing is that Zelda is selling better in America then it is in Japan...

Yes, yes it is. Which is why I said "the early Zelda's". On that point I prefer windwaker to twilight princess, both good games but I felt the styilized cartoony cell shaded zelda did a better job telling the story than the semi-realistic looking one.

Namrok
05-07-07, 04:23 PM

One would hope so. How would you like to feel pressured into making something you really didn't care for? And at the end of the day, Nintendo still prints money, so good for him.

thor1182
05-07-07, 04:23 PM
One would hope so. How would you like to feel pressured into making something you really didn't care for? And at the end of the day, Nintendo still prints money, so good for him.

kinda what I was going for

superklye
05-07-07, 04:24 PM
Dude, that's what I do at my job everyday. It's what having a job is all about: catering to those who buy your products so they keep buying your products and hopefully attract new people.

Namrok
05-07-07, 04:50 PM
Dude, that's what I do at my job everyday. It's what having a job is all about: catering to those who buy your products so they keep buying your products and hopefully attract new people.

Just because your job doesn't make you happy doesn't mean everyone shouldn't enjoy their job :p

Edit: I would also add that they ARE attracting new people and selling like hotcakes, so DOUBLE WIN FOR MIYAMOTO.

zoomy942
05-07-07, 05:03 PM
i LOVE my job. love it

gmontem
05-07-07, 05:23 PM
But then again, Miyamoto didn't do Metroid, the late Gumpei(Gunpei) Yokoi created the series and did the 3rd one.

It sucks that he died, but I'll always be grateful to him for Super Metroid.
I never the Metroid creator died so I wiki'ed him and wow, what a horrible way to die. :cry:

kevJ420
05-07-07, 05:56 PM

I agree 100%.
That's the way I'd work.->

On the other hand, Miyamoto doesn't want much payment, unlike a lot of people at Nintendo, so I guess if he asks not to get paid much, then I guess he should be able to do what he wants to do.

-> Unfortunately, most people don't see it that way, so Sony who tries to please their customers (no one needs to get all argumentative with me about this either, look at the stats) is losing... for now.

KasuCode
05-07-07, 06:37 PM

The problem with this is you end up with World of Starcrap. While it would arguably make blizzard more money then an RTS its not what the other half of the world wants a starcraft game to be like. That is if blizzard does actualy make the starcraft mmo like its rummored to be.

Lyme
05-07-07, 06:43 PM
-> Unfortunately, most people don't see it that way, so Sony who tries to please their customers (no one needs to get all argumentative with me about this either, look at the stats) is losing... for now.

But they didn't even ship a hdmi cable in the ps3 box. BTW, where do I sign up to get kickbacks from sony for pimping their stuff?

superklye
05-07-07, 07:14 PM
Sony isn't trying to please their customers, they're trying to strongarm them into the HD format they are backing and have a huge stake in/avenue for making ridiculous profits.

Don't for one second think that any company, Sony and MS especially, think of us as anymore than walking bags of money, completely with dollar sign in big green font on the front.