PDA

View Full Version : Do the Core 2 Quad and Barcelona (4 core) theoretically have 256 bit performance?

kevJ420
05-07-07, 07:44 PM
I've always thought of how humble Sega was with all of their hardware, and now I was wondering why Intel and AMD never say that they're 256 bit if they have (4) 64-bit (or partially 64-bit) cores?

I know this is a stupid thread, but I really wanted to know why.

I don't think humbleness is the reason for AMD and Intel like it was for Sega.

Think about, in the days where bit-count was everything and few people knew better, Sega could've said the Genesis was 32 bit in 89, then a few years later they could've said the combined power of a Sega CD and Genesis was 64 bit, then 2 years after that they could've said the combined power of the 32x, CD, and Genesis was 128 bit.

The Motorola 68000 was considered 32 bit mostly, but Sega never said it was any higher than 16 bit.

I know that clock speeds and bit count both determine theoretical power, but back then the average person just talked about the number of bits.

Finally, I was never dumb enough in 98 to think that the expansion pak made the n64 68 bit.

In 1998 when i went to the eb to get one, i saw this one kid in there (sadly I think he was older than i was) who saw it and was all excited and said it, "it makes the n64 68 bit." Even I didn't have a hard time thinking he was a major dumbass.

In Y2K, Scotmi said mr. nintendo said that it made it 68 bit, but I think he was just playing around, but I still kept on telling him the expansion pak wasn't an add-on to the cpu other than allowing the whole system to have access to 8MB instead of 4.

I know there's no one named mr. nintendo, but scotmi was having a creative state of mind due to his bi polar disorder.

ew2x4
05-07-07, 07:50 PM
zomg....

Xion X2
05-07-07, 07:54 PM
I know this is a stupid thread..

Yeah, and what else is new?

Madpistol
05-07-07, 11:54 PM
Yeah, and what else is new?

+1

Ninja Prime
05-07-07, 11:59 PM
I've always thought of how humble Sega was with all of their hardware, and now I was wondering why Intel and AMD never say that they're 256 bit if they have (4) 64-bit (or partially 64-bit) cores?

I know this is a stupid thread, but I really wanted to know why.

I don't think humbleness is the reason for AMD and Intel like it was for Sega.

Think about, in the days where bit-count was everything and few people knew better, Sega could've said the Genesis was 32 bit in 89, then a few years later they could've said the combined power of a Sega CD and Genesis was 64 bit, then 2 years after that they could've said the combined power of the 32x, CD, and Genesis was 128 bit.

The Motorola 68000 was considered 32 bit mostly, but Sega never said it was any higher than 16 bit.

I know that clock speeds and bit count both determine theoretical power, but back then the average person just talked about the number of bits.

Finally, I was never dumb enough in 98 to think that the expansion pak made the n64 68 bit.

In 1998 when i went to the eb to get one, i saw this one kid in there (sadly I think he was older than i was) who saw it and was all excited and said it, "it makes the n64 68 bit." Even I didn't have a hard time thinking he was a major dumbass.

In Y2K, Scotmi said mr. nintendo said that it made it 68 bit, but I think he was just playing around, but I still kept on telling him the expansion pak wasn't an add-on to the cpu other than allowing the whole system to have access to 8MB instead of 4.

I know there's no one named mr. nintendo, but scotmi was having a creative state of mind due to his bi polar disorder.

Bits don't matter anymore. Bytes are the new rage these days, get with the times.

128 Byte Blast Processor, hell ya!

ViN86
05-09-07, 11:11 AM
Barcelona = 128 bit
Core2 = 64 bit