PDA

View Full Version : 16/32 bit color question

kevJ420
05-08-07, 07:16 PM
Could nvidia put a feature in their drivers that would force 16 bit color games to run in 32 bit color?

Or would transistors for it be required?

[I know that 3dfx had a driver option on the voodoo5 to force 32 bit color for glide games, and I've heard ATI's drivers force 32 bit when aa is enabled.
Also, the voodoo 5 and its drivers never ever had issues with 32 bit color, after just coming from the voodoo 3.

3dfx's drivers were damn-near perfect, and I don't need anyone to get all argumentative with me with that.

I just wish the 8800gtx had better image quality, I personally don't consider it to have good IQ by my standards.

I think they should add back all of the transistors they had since the tnt2 and just make a 2 card solution. That would cut down on heat too.]

RejZoR
05-09-07, 12:17 PM
I just wish the 8800gtx had better image quality, I personally don't consider it to have good IQ by my standards.

Huh? Maybe you should check the eye sight. I don't want to go back to Voodoo 3 era. Max 256x256 textures, no angle independent anisotropic filtering, no pixel shaders!? Oh noes!!!1111. And i don't know how can you even say that for 8800GTX which is authority for image quality at the moment.

ATI_Dude
05-09-07, 12:36 PM
Huh? Maybe you should check the eye sight. I don't want to go back to Voodoo 3 era. Max 256x256 textures, no angle independent anisotropic filtering, no pixel shaders!? Oh noes!!!1111. And i don't know how can you even say that for 8800GTX which is authority for image quality at the moment.

Maybe he still plays old games? The 8xxx series do not render older games as well as previous Nvidia cards. A common problem seems to be color dithering. Thief 2 looks absolutely hideous on the 8xxx series. It looks like the game is rendered in 8 bit color.

kevJ420
05-09-07, 02:10 PM
Maybe he still plays old games? The 8xxx series do not render older games as well as previous Nvidia cards. A common problem seems to be color dithering. Thief 2 looks absolutely hideous on the 8xxx series. It looks like the game is rendered in 8 bit color.

Thanks so much.

It's seriously sickening all of the IQ-degrading features nvidia and ati force upon people and all the transistors they cut and ****.

That's why i spend more time here than playing games on my pieces of **** 8800gtx's.

They don't ever force anything that increases image quality but decreases performance.

It would be fine if they gave the ****ing options to choose, but forcing **** isn't fine.

We're the ones that have to suffer with ****ty iq forced upon us.

#2, if people knew what was possible, then they wouldn't be saying how great the 8 series IQ is.

The only good thing they allow you to do is force angle invariant full 8bit trilinear af.

That's the only ****ing thing.

anyways, back to my question. Can drivers (that will quite possibly never come out) force 32 bit color or would it require good transistors that are always cut by ati and nvidia or were never there?

john19055
05-09-07, 04:27 PM
dam I have a VooDoo 5 that I will trade you for your 8800GTX if you think the 8800GTX has that bad of I.Q.

kevJ420
05-09-07, 05:05 PM
dam I have a VooDoo 5 that I will trade you for your 8800GTX if you think the 8800GTX has that bad of I.Q.

I probably would, however, I don't have a pc anymore that has an agp slot.

Thanks for the offer though.

I just want my 8800s to be able to do everything a voodoo 5 can do.