PDA

View Full Version : EVGA 680i p28 bios

Logical
05-09-07, 06:04 AM
http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33856

Installed and had a slight problem with BOOTMGR but it seems to have cleared itself up after booting from boot menu a few times.

Seen a slight rise in CPU temp (3-5 degrees c) and a drop in temp with the GPU which is weired.

Madpistol
05-09-07, 10:12 AM
Unless stability is improved, that's a no go on the bios update. :thumbdwn:

gulizard
05-09-07, 11:13 AM
Need a god damn floppy. BS.

Logical
05-09-07, 11:39 AM
Unless stability is improved, that's a no go on the bios update. :thumbdwn:

Didnt you read the forums m8...the bios update sorts out stability problems with HPET as well as better memory performance...IMO this update is the best one yet rom EVGA.

You can also install the update via windows and soon EVGA will be using ISO for cd rom installation too. :)

gulizard
05-09-07, 12:34 PM
This bios also includes the micro-code from Intel. Thats according to Jacob AKA JaKUp

john19055
05-18-07, 08:29 PM
I been useing the P21 bios since I got my Evga 680i SLI and it had been working stable at 3.6gigs at 1.3v ,But the thing I did'nt like was 1640mhz was the highest I could get the 680i to get up to and it did not manner how much voltage I added.But since I could run it at 1:1 ratio it was'nt a big deal.But I took the plunge and upgraded to P.28 since I have heard more good then bad.
I installed the P.28 Bios and shut it down and took out the battery and reset the CMOS .I fired it back up and loaded up the defaults .It was missing a few settins,but It ran fine at default.so I set everthing like I had so I could get back to my 3.6gig.I set it on 1600 on the CPU FSB and set my memory to 800.It loaded and went in to windows ,and the first thing I notice was that my temperture had increased about 5c to 6c higher at idle.Then I got the Blue Sreen ,I raised my voltage to 1.32v and set my memory timeings like they used to be ,and it worked for a little while before I got another rebboot .So I turned sown my multipler to 8 and set it to 1600 and 800 on the memory and it loaded up at 3.2gigs ,and then it rebooted and blue screened.I was about to get ready and flash it back to P.21 ,where i had the least trouble and I got to remembering people talking about holes.So I left it at the 8 multiplier and turned it up to 1700 on the CPU FSB and set the memory at 850 and it loaded and worked,so i reset it and turned it up to 1800 on the CPU FSB and 900mhz on the memory so it would be running at a 1:1 ratio again at 3.6gigs
again and to my surprise it worked ,I was able to go up from 1640 to 1800 on the CPU FSB with a BIOS update ,but my temperture also went up from 30c at idle to 35c to 36c at idle.I don't understand why my temperture went up ,but I did have to increase the CPU core from 1.3v to 1.32v and my CPU FSB from 1.3v to 1.4v .

kevJ420
05-18-07, 09:17 PM
Didnt you read the forums m8...the bios update sorts out stability problems with HPET as well as better memory performance...IMO this update is the best one yet rom EVGA.

You can also install the update via windows and soon EVGA will be using ISO for cd rom installation too. :)

I read that the methods were boot w/ floppy or boot w/ cd-r.

How can you do it all through windows?

I'm a few bios updates behind and it's working perfectly, but I still want to go up to the most recent bios, so that's why I want to know how to flash it completely thru windows this time.

john19055
05-18-07, 09:32 PM
You have a Floppy according to your signature ,that is the easiest way ,just download it and copy it to the Floppy and all you have to do it make sure your computer is set to floppy or removeabledrive and all you have to do is wait until it says it is ready and push Y and when it done just take out the floppy and reset the cmos and turn it back on and load the defaults ,Then set it to what you want ,but for some reason the CPU temperture goes up about 5c to 6c.But after the flash to P.28 I was able to increase the CPU FSB from 1640 to 1800 ,I have not seen if I can go any farther.

Madpistol
05-19-07, 02:03 AM
hmmmmm... I don't have a floppy drive, but i'll check on what you guys are talking about.

And if it's stable, I will be updating the next chance I get... which will be in about 2 weeks... college sucks. :(

john19055
05-19-07, 08:01 AM
I don't see how this bios update has aloud me to go so high on the CPU FSB,I have tried P.23 and P.25 and still could not go past 1650 and with this P.28 Bios update I am able to reach 2000 so far .But it is still not a total hundred percent stable I still get a Blue screen ever once in a while ,It is more stable then the other I have tried except p.21.

breathemetal
05-19-07, 02:42 PM
Ive never updated my bios...

So all i have to do is burn the iso to a cd (snce i have no floppy drive) and boot up with it?

OrangeBlast
05-19-07, 03:27 PM
Ive never updated my bios...

So all i have to do is burn the iso to a cd (snce i have no floppy drive) and boot up with it?

Yup! Its a bootable ISO format and the program will run itself after POST. Just have to boot off the CD. All you have to do is press "Y" to continue :p
and your set!

Be sure to enter your BIOS and set Safe Defaults and then set your proper memory timings and voltage before flashing.

Roch
05-20-07, 04:02 PM
Just burn the .bin file to a CD, reboot, load defaults, reboot and press alt+f2 until awdflash starts...piece of cake.

Logical
05-20-07, 11:49 PM
I read that the methods were boot w/ floppy or boot w/ cd-r.

How can you do it all through windows?

I'm a few bios updates behind and it's working perfectly, but I still want to go up to the most recent bios, so that's why I want to know how to flash it completely thru windows this time.

The first post on the thread that this link takes you to has the details and downloads for updating the p28 bios through windows.

http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33856

john19055
05-24-07, 02:54 PM
You can do it with a CDR ,but come on ,you can buy a new Floppy for $6 and just use it for flashing your Bios ,like for your motherboard or your Video cards,and then when you are threw Flashing just unplug it and take it out and that way you will have one on stanby in case you need it ,but you can flash it with bootable ISO format CD just as easy ,But I have always trusted flashing bios's with a Floppy.

john19055
05-24-07, 02:59 PM
To all the other people that have Flashed to P.28 Bios on there Evga 680i SLI.
Can you now reach 2000 on the CPU FSB,The highest I could ever go before on my CPU FSB was around 1650 ,and I don't know what they did to this Bios but it has been great for me ,,I first went to 1700 then 1800 then 1850 then 1900 and fineally to 2000 and set my memory at 1000mhz and it booted up ,I have not tried 2100 yet.But this has by far been the best Bios update I have recieved so far.