PDA

View Full Version : AMDs Next Line of CPUs Revealed.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Xion X2
05-09-07, 11:29 AM
http://www.dailytech.com/Final+AMD+Stars+Models+Unveiled+/article7157.htm

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/3740/4622largestarslistwq0.png

The top-end AMD Phenom FX processor clocks in the 2.4-2.6 GHz speed range. Slotting below the top-end Phenom FX is a 2.2-2.4 GHz model. These two models occupy AMD’s upcoming Socket 1207+ and current Socket 1207 Quad FX platforms. AMD also has a Phenom FX for single-processor customers as well, clocked at 2.4-2.6 GHz.

AMD further differentiates its Phenom FX processors with different Hyper Transport 3.0 clock speeds. The flagship 2.4-2.6 GHz model features a 3.6 GHz HT 3.0 clock speed while the two 2.2-2.4 GHz models have a lower 3.2 GHz HT 3.0 clock. All three models share the same 4x512KB L2 cache and 2MB L3 cache configuration. AMD has yet to determine the TDP of its Phenom FX processors.

Catering towards high-end user are two Socket AM2+ AMD Phenom X4 processors. AMD remains undecided on its model numbers; however, clock speeds on the Agena-based Phenom X4 processors are set. The two AMD Phenom X4 processors clock in at 2.4 GHz and 2.2 GHz. These models share the same 4x512KB L2 cache and 2MB L3 cache configuration as the Phenom FX processors.

..AMD’s dual-core Kuma processors will carry the Phenom X2 name and drop into Socket AM2+ and AM2 motherboards. There are three AMD Phenom X2 processors in the pipeline with 2.8 GHz, 2.6 GHz and 2.4 GHz clock speeds. HT 3.0 speeds vary on the AMD Phenom X2 processors. At the top with the AMD Phenom X2 2.8 GHz model.

This looks different from what I've seen a few around here claim. It looks like the native quads will only be available on the AM2+ platform and not the AM2. Only the dualies will be available on the AM2 according to DailyTech.

The names make sense. X4s are quads, and X2s are dualies.

superklye
05-09-07, 11:34 AM
I'm getting excited for these! I hope they come out soon and rock Intel's world. :D

nekrosoft13
05-09-07, 11:37 AM
rather small cache, lets see how they perform

will make intel quad more affordable ;)

Bman212121
05-09-07, 11:43 AM
rather small cache, lets see how they perform

will make intel quad more affordable ;)

I remember reading an article where AMD wouldn't benefit as much as Intel does with their huge cache because of architecture differences. So the amount of cache shouldn't be causing as big of an issue as it may seem, and the good thing about less cache is it will produce less heat that way.

It is funny though because this is about the first time that we have ever seen AMD bring out a new line that wasn't faster mhz wise than their last line. Hopefully their will be some huge efficiency improvements (Which there are) to really help make them faster.

Xion X2
05-09-07, 11:59 AM
Yeah, AMD has never needed as much cache as Intel because of their on-die memory controller.

I hope that their quads come out for a reasonable price and not the ridiculous prices their last line came out at. With Intel in the lead, they probably can't afford to keep prices too high.

A native quad with those crazy hyper-transport speeds looks good to me.

mullet
05-09-07, 12:01 PM
Xion X2, awsome man, thanks for the news bro.

Madpistol
05-09-07, 02:13 PM
Looks great on paper!

....Now lets see some performance numbers. ;)

NaitoSan
05-09-07, 02:20 PM
I really like their code names. Sounds cool.

I'm biting my lips on waiting to upgrade... Quad core for $266. Woo!

superklye
05-09-07, 02:27 PM
Agena, Kuma and Rana are awesome names.

Spica seems to have been chosen in poor taste...

Tuork
05-09-07, 02:49 PM
I´ve been out of the loop on AMD for a bit.

What´s this AM2+ being mentioned? What´s the difference with conventional AM2? Compatibility?

I would like to see these give Intel a run for their money. I've always liked AMD. :)

DarkJedi664
05-09-07, 03:52 PM
I for one am REALLY excited about these, but I'm REALLY hoping they're faster than C2D :\

superklye
05-09-07, 03:58 PM
I´ve been out of the loop on AMD for a bit.

What´s this AM2+ being mentioned? What´s the difference with conventional AM2? Compatibility?

I would like to see these give Intel a run for their money. I've always liked AMD. :)
I believe AM2+ allows for HT 3.0 and some other more advanced features that AM2 boards do not have. AM2+ CPUs will work in AM2 boards, but those extra features will be disabled until an AM2+ board is used.

Redeemed
05-09-07, 04:02 PM
Okay, let me clarify- AM2+ processor are backwards compatible with AM2 motherboards. What will happen is, when you run an AM2+ processor on an AM2 motherboard, you will not be utilising new features such as HT 3.0, some power saving features, and a few other performance improving features as well.

In short, if you own an AM2 mobo now, you can still upgrade to an AM2+ processor, and you'll more than likely get faster performance from the proc than what you currently have- but you still wont be fully utillising all the procs available features and performance cause the AM2 socket will be crippling it. Then when you have more $$$ you can get an AM2+ mobo to fully use your proc. I created a thread fully clarifying all of this quite some time ago. Here's the thread:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89281

On paper Barcelona and the Agena family really look like they'll be Core2 killers. But the proof is in the pudding as they say. R600 looks like a G80 killer judging by specs alone- but we all know what the current benchmarks are indicating.

Regardless, I have high hopes for Barcelona and Agena. Infact, I'm planning my next rig to be built around the top of the line Phenom x4 chip if the price is reasonable.

Great find Xion, thanks for posting this buddy. :D

CaptNKILL
05-09-07, 04:14 PM
Sweet. :)

I didn't know they were scheduled to be released so early! Quarter 3 is just a couple months away.

Come on AMD, kick some ass! Make the quad core prices come down! :D

Redeemed
05-09-07, 04:16 PM
Sweet. :)

I didn't know they were scheduled to be released so early! Quarter 3 is just a couple months away.

Come on AMD, kick some ass! Make the quad core prices come down! :D

I second this notion. All in favor of this movement, please rise. :p

Xion X2
05-09-07, 04:26 PM
Okay, I see now that they're backwards compatible. I wouldn't go that route personally because of the increased hyper-transport speed of the AM2+. For anyone who's waited this long to upgrade, they may as well wait another few months for AM2+ boards to hit the market.

HT speeds will go up from 1000mHz to 1600/1800 on the Quad Agenas/X4s. That's quite an improvement and one you'd think would show itself in real world performance.

Redeemed
05-09-07, 04:30 PM
Okay, I see now that they're backwards compatible. I wouldn't go that route personally because of the increased hyper-transport speed of the AM2+. For anyone who's waited this long to upgrade, they may as well wait another few months for AM2+ boards to hit the market.

HT speeds will go up from 1000mHz to 1600/1800 on the Quad Agenas/X4s. That's quite an improvement and one you'd think would show itself in real world performance.
True. I'd never recommend that somebody buy an AM2 system now. But for somebody like DiscipleDOC that already has invested quite a bit of money into thier current AM2 setup, it'd be ideal to just buy the AM2+ proc, then later the mobo.

Me, I'm waiting till next year to even consider getting a new rig. I'm still being blow away at how fast this Opty185 is. I don't think I could comprehend how fast ya'll Core2's are. :lol: I know, I'm quite behind the times- but happily so. This Opty is the fastest rig I've ever used- and it continues to amaze me at just how fast it is.

So, I think I can hold off on building a new rig for about another year. ;)

Redeemed
05-09-07, 04:39 PM
I'm heavily interested in how well they OC. I almost slapped down the cash for an AM2 setup with a Brisbane X2 4800 simply cause of the oc potential. But I'm gonna' hold off as I don't know if my next setup will be running CrossFire or SLi. Furthermore, I don't know which proc I'll be going with either. As such, waiting is the best option. But so far AMD's 65nm parts are killer oc'ers- just like the Core2's are killer OC'ers. Hopefully these new batches will be even better oc'ers. :D Again, that is hopefully. :p

Saintster
05-09-07, 05:28 PM
Okay, let me clarify- AM2+ processor are backwards compatible with AM2 motherboards. What will happen is, when you run an AM2+ processor on an AM2 motherboard, you will not be utilising new features such as HT 3.0, some power saving features, and a few other performance improving features as well.

In short, if you own an AM2 mobo now, you can still upgrade to an AM2+ processor, and you'll more than likely get faster performance from the proc than what you currently have- but you still wont be fully utillising all the procs available features and performance cause the AM2 socket will be crippling it. Then when you have more $$$ you can get an AM2+ mobo to fully use your proc. I created a thread fully clarifying all of this quite some time ago. Here's the thread:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89281

On paper Barcelona and the Agena family really look like they'll be Core2 killers. But the proof is in the pudding as they say. R600 looks like a G80 killer judging by specs alone- but we all know what the current benchmarks are indicating.

Regardless, I have high hopes for Barcelona and Agena. Infact, I'm planning my next rig to be built around the top of the line Phenom x4 chip if the price is reasonable.

Great find Xion, thanks for posting this buddy. :D

I was so close to upgrading to a c2d system. I had everything researched and picked out and in the New egg cart. I made the decision to wait and give AMD a shot to redeem:D themselves. I didn't want to get too impatient with this type of new hardware about to come out.

Saintster
05-09-07, 05:29 PM
True. I'd never recommend that somebody buy an AM2 system now. But for somebody like DiscipleDOC that already has invested quite a bit of money into thier current AM2 setup, it'd be ideal to just buy the AM2+ proc, then later the mobo.

Me, I'm waiting till next year to even consider getting a new rig. I'm still being blow away at how fast this Opty185 is. I don't think I could comprehend how fast ya'll Core2's are. :lol: I know, I'm quite behind the times- but happily so. This Opty is the fastest rig I've ever used- and it continues to amaze me at just how fast it is.

So, I think I can hold off on building a new rig for about another year. ;)

Same time line and reasons I held am holding off.

Redeemed
05-09-07, 05:52 PM
I was so close to upgrading to a c2d system. I had everything researched and picked out and in the New egg cart. I made the decision to wait and give AMD a shot to redeem:D themselves. I didn't want to get too impatient with this type of new hardware about to come out.

LOL Nice. :lol:

Yeah, I've got high hopes for the Phenom lineup. It seems like it could be a real winner- but so did the R600. We'll know before too much longer, that's for sure.

DMx
05-09-07, 06:38 PM
WOW 45W!!! These look really nice, I think I might hold off getting a C2D ;)

Socket 1207 here I come :D

Xion X2
05-09-07, 07:05 PM
I'm still being blow away at how fast this Opty185 is. I don't think I could comprehend how fast ya'll Core2's are. :lol:

Those procs are still plenty fast. My roommate has one in his rig clocked @ 2.7gHz.

But I won't lie.. the Core2 mauls everything. Boots Windows / loads everything about 35% faster. :)

Madpistol
05-09-07, 07:27 PM
Those procs are still plenty fast. My roommate has one in his rig clocked @ 2.7gHz.

But I won't lie.. the Core2 mauls everything. Boots Windows / loads everything about 35% faster. :)

QFT. I would love to see AMD massacre Intel though because that means lower prices on current Core 2 Quads, which for me would be a very healthy upgrade. :D

a12ctic
05-09-07, 07:32 PM
Oh man I cant wait for these :)