PDA

View Full Version : video card bios

cricket
03-24-03, 08:16 PM
in searching for updates for my dell demension 8200..i noticed there was a 'video bios" update for my video card(being the geforce 4 ti4600 with 43:00 driver's)...can some one tell me what a video card bios is for and what will i benefit,if at all, by updating the bios of my video card? currently i have version 4.25.00.27.23 and the update would bring me to 4.25.00.27.40

spec's: Dell Demension 8200 P4 2.26GHz with 533MHz system bus/512k L2 Cache
768MB PC800 RDRAM
80GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive
128MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600-with 43.00 driver's
Direct X 9
NEC -ND- 1100A DVD+R/+RW/CD-R/CD-RW Combo drive
WINDVD 4 (dvd playback on PC)
record now max 4.5
pinnacle studio 8 deluxe (video editing)
Harman Kardon HK-395 Speakers with Subwoofer
Sound Blaster Live 5.1
WinXP Home edition-withSP1
3dmark 2nd edition score=12,258
Lexmark X83 All in one
Cable modem connection

saturnotaku
03-24-03, 08:49 PM
If your system is working fine, don't bother updating the video BIOS. That's only something you mess with if your system is in deep poop and you've not tried any other option.

I had to update the video BIOS on my laptop because certain driver sets (I hack normal detonator drivers to work on my laptop) Windows would boot to a black screen. After updating the video BIOS, I've not had a problem since.

Floruro
03-25-03, 04:26 AM
I have flashed my g44600 with various different bioses, and there is actually a huge quality difference. I am currently using version .37 (latest reference bios), although i modify it abit so that it is specisified that i have an asus card.
My card came with the .28 bios, and after that i used the .34 for a while, but recently i have only been using the .37 version, since the IQ is much much better. I cant overclock the mem really that much (with the .28 and .34 i can keep it at 730 without artifacts, but with the .37 artifacts come at around 675 mhz) I keep the core at 300. One reason could be more aggressive memory timings in the .37 bios. I will continue using the .37 bios, because the performance is good, and the IQ is way better.
You can check out the different bioses HERE (http://bunny.xs4all.nl/software/nvidia.html) . Of course there is a little risk involved, but everything has worked well for me. Use Ray Adams Bios editor, and use the chart to identify your cards string.
Good luck. When i go back to the .28 bios, i am really surprised to see how bad the quality is compared to he new .37.
Edit: And you can overclock through the bios :cool: Use VGABIOS to test the bios before you actually flash it.

kruisre
04-27-03, 12:44 PM
in the days of gf2 there were different reference bios for different tv chips - is there now (for gf4) only 1 reference bios needed?

kruisre
04-30-03, 03:40 PM
the enthusiasts don't play with bios anymore?

digitalwanderer
04-30-03, 04:26 PM
Is there any new links to bios? I just realized I haven't played around AT ALL with me new GF4's bios yet, can't have that! ;)

Floruro
04-30-03, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Is there any new links to bios? I just realized I haven't played around AT ALL with me new GF4's bios yet, can't have that! ;)

It was in my post dude :)
GO HERE :) (http://bunny.xs4all.nl/software/nvidia.html)

.34 is the best for me though. I had the .37 for a while, and might try it again soon. Remember you have to modify the bioses with reference to the pci -id list at the bottom of the page. you can test with vgabios (it will just load the bios, not flash it) so that you can test if it works. Use Ray Adams bios editor. If you use vgabios, you can test your own bioses with no risk. If it works, try flashing with nvflash. The .37 bios doesnt let me overclock much, but the IQ is very good. The .34 is a very good combination of better IQ, and being able to overclock normally. The .28 bios my card came with has very bad IQ in comparison to the .34 and the .37. For fun, try the .37 bios, and see that the IQ is completely different. The only thing you need to change in the bios editor is the pci-id string so that it matches your card name.
Good luck
edit: And do this in DOS!