PDA

View Full Version : 8800gtx DX10incompatible?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Abren
05-10-07, 01:31 AM
Hey guys,
I am a little converned when i read on the net that 8800 might not be able to perform well with DX10 games and applications.
Also apparently the R600 is going to pwn the 8800 series and that Ati's drivers will apparently be more stable.
I have no solid site to state here but i have been reading this kind of stuff all day and am worried that buying a 8800 gtx might have been a bad idea.

Some links as follows:
http://www.cooltechzone.com/Special_Reports/Insider_Series/ATI_R600_Details_Revealed_200604102280/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_R600
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39145

So any light on 8800gtx's DX 10 compatibality and performance will be great and i am sure everyone can use the clean info.
Cheers

jAkUp
05-10-07, 01:50 AM
Since there is a single DX10 application out there right now, it would be hard to say :)

retsam
05-10-07, 01:52 AM
one, the r600 is not an 8800 killer.
two, if the card wasnt dx10 compatible m$ wouldnt allow the dx10 sticker. they stated this early on in the dx10 dev cycle, that there would be no exceptions, you either are or you are not compatible.

Also apparently the R600 is going to pwn the 8800 series and that Ati's drivers will apparently be more stable.
how in the world would a newly releases card have more stable drivers then a card thats been out for 8 months?...think about it, nv has has so much more feedback and time to work on things that ati is just now going to get exposed to.

Some links as follows:
http://www.cooltechzone.com/Special_..._200604102280/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_R600

every one of these links are complete bull****...,

the gtx is a fine card and will perform well in anything out there now and in the near future....with all that said, im really hoping that ATI can get its act toghther with r680 and start to give us some real compitition in the marketplace.

Trademark
05-10-07, 01:54 AM
Well it will most likely fry the average 8800GTX and perhaps the Ultra even as well. However if it's ever going to see the light of day, because the HD2900XTX is most likely only for OEMs, thus you have to wait for the r650.

Anyways I don't know about cooltechzone, but theinquirer is not exactly the most reliable source that exists and wikipedia is something an ATI fanboy could have made.

Don't listen to all the rumors, wait for the card to come out and get real benchmarks. Besides who says the 8800 will perform bad in DX10? There are no DX10 games out there so I can't see where they gfet those rumors from...

SH64
05-10-07, 01:58 AM
There is no way right now to make sure how the G80 or even the R600 will perform under DX10 until DX10 games & benchmarks come out.
all what being said are just speculations ,so you can wait if you are unsure about the performance.

Abren
05-10-07, 02:04 AM
Thnx for the input people.
I already have a 8800gtx (bought it 1week back)
I always prefer Nvidia over Ati because ATI products dont hit shelves for months and drivers take long.
This is why i am surprised to see that our dear 8800's might phase out even b4 decent dx10 games hit the market. Thats what concerns me , but well Nvidia cards do well and i hope our 8800's will last Amen. :)

PS: I am also aware that 6-8months is the avg time for a tech product to get out of date but i hope the R600 bombs and bombs all the way down to hell hehe

J-Mag
05-10-07, 01:49 PM
I have no solid site to state here but i have been reading this kind of stuff all day and am worried that buying a 8800 gtx might have been a bad idea.

Stop worrying about the future and play in the NOW!

The 8800gtx is a great buy at the current point int time. It has no competition. Anyway, GPUs are not like pets. You don't get attached to them emotionally. If the r600 turns out to stomp the G80 in DX10, sell your 8800 and buy an r600, it's that simple.

Madpistol
05-10-07, 02:19 PM
The 8800 GTX is NOT DX10 incompatible. I have read repeated times that the 8800 GTX meets Microsoft's reference DX10 design. For it not to run DX10 and be labled as DX10 compatible would be ludicrous.

This link: http://www.cooltechzone.com/Special_Reports/Insider_Series/ATI_R600_Details_Revealed_200604102280/ has an April 2006 date on it. If that is true, it is NOT current news.

In this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_R600 , I see nothing about the 8800 series of cards, and except for the newer definitions, this is complete speculation. Since when do you trust wikipedia for information anyway? They are a terrible source of information.

The last link: http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39145 , is utter bull****. The last paragraph says that the HD 2900 XT will beat the 8800 GTX. What a load of crap! Benchmarks are showing that the 2900 XT is about the same as a 8800 GTS, but the 8800 GTX/Ultra is in a league of its own right now.

NONE of those links say that the 8800 GTX is DX10 incompatible. Give us some links where you read that junk about the 8800 series please... :thumbdwn:

radekhulan
05-10-07, 02:22 PM
Hey guys,

Troll alert (bs)

See: http://it-review.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1314&Itemid=91&limit=1&limitstart=3

NVIDIA 8800GTX from 10/2006 is about 40% faster than ATI 2900XT from 5/2007..

fivefeet8
05-10-07, 02:25 PM
Hey guys,
I am a little converned when i read on the net that 8800 might not be able to perform well with DX10 games and applications.

Some links as follows:

So any light on 8800gtx's DX 10 compatibality and performance will be great and i am sure everyone can use the clean info.
Cheers

The only evidence pointed to, but not validated, is that the high use of Geometry Shaders on future dx10 games will perform vastly better on the R600. It's probable with the current information of the R600 that it's going to be a monster Geometry Shading powerhouse, but whether that power will be used to it's fullest in it's lifetime is questionable. Even then, there are other things to consider with gaming performance that could offset it's higher geometry shading.

From an API standpoint, the 8800gtx would actually perform better running Dx10 than running Dx9 anyways.

Tygerwoody
05-10-07, 02:26 PM
The OP is right. None of my games will play in Direct X 10. Therefore 8800GTX = not compatible with DX10. 8800GTX is junk. :thumbdwn:

:rolleyes:

Madpistol
05-10-07, 02:26 PM
I just did a search for "8800 DX10 incompatible" in google. I ran through 10 pages of links seeing what I could find, and all I found that would even hint at the 8800 series "sucking" was a couple of forums where ATI fanboys ranted about how the HD 2900 was going to destroy the 8800 with no proof of their claims.

I think the facts speak for themselves. ;)

Dragunov
05-10-07, 03:13 PM
Well Nvidia claimed their G80 is DX10, if not, I think they gonna receive alot of complaints and gonna need to pay a penalty, wrong advertising, also refunds to those who bought a G80, including me

sabersix1
05-10-07, 03:44 PM
Troll alert (bs)

See: http://it-review.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1314&Itemid=91&limit=1&limitstart=3

NVIDIA 8800GTX from 10/2006 is about 40% faster than ATI 2900XT from 5/2007..

I also read this in the Conclusion: the fact of the matter is that NVIDIA's 8800 series is obviously a very well thought-of product. We constantly have a feeling that the overall bandwidth, frequency, GPU frequency, number of Stream Processors and their frequency, Shaders, everything - has been designed so it uses the maximum available power.

It has more then enough juice to compete with AMD's Radeon HD2900XT and beat it in pretty much every single test. It's even more worrying is the fact that 8800GTS 640 comes out as a winner in most of the tests, with 2-100% difference in overall score (Supreme Commander at 1920x1200 and 8xAA/16xAF does a 100% better), apart from a couple of FEAR scores and 2560x1600 scores that work in favour of AMD's Radeon HD2900XT in three out of eight tests (at this time, let's put Company of Heroes aside because of the first reason).

If You ask me, this only shows that the Nvidia 8800 Series Cards are still the ones to have for your Gaming Rig! I am running two GTX's in SLI and they are watercooled to run at 650/2000 and I am cutting through every game with Maxed out Settings and my Frame Rates are running like Scaulded Dawgs!!

Dreamingawake
05-10-07, 03:52 PM
lol why would anyone even think for a second its not dx10 compatible?????

it will be just fine !

kevJ420
05-10-07, 04:06 PM
This **** about worrying about the 8800gtx's performance has really, really been bothering me.

It will be much more than fast enough to run all games released in the next few years at max settings (which really isn't all that max) at good frame rates.

So much compression is used, think about how poor draw distances are, msaa and csaa are practically free, direct x 10 code has almost as much performance optimisations compared to graphics improvements, trust me on this, i'm not an expert but it's what they all say.

There is no ****ing way any of what I've said in this post will be false.

Look at the 1st DX9 games performance on the 1st dx9 card (9700 Pro) (Halo, TR AOD).

Why would DX 10 be any different?

hirantha
05-10-07, 04:08 PM
when the DX10 Games are out we will have a whole new card :captnkill: forget about 8800 then

Madpistol
05-10-07, 07:55 PM
What are you worried about??? If you're really that worried about it, sell those cards and revert to your beloved 6800... seriously, the cards are absolute powerhouse performers. HOW CAN YOU DISPUTE THAT???

Also, the cards are not going to play cinematic quality graphics in real time (60 fps). they're just not powerful enough to do that yet. we'd have to get a card with nearly 10x the perfomance capabilities of an 8800 GTX to even begin to knock on that door. DX10 will work. we know that. Is the card heavily optimized for DX10??? probably not. By that definition, it's a heavily optimized DX9 card that's capable of playing DX10 titles. As of right now, that's all we can say about it. SO WHAT??? If you take a Geforce 6800 Ultra and pit it up against a 7900 GTX, you will see almost no difference in image quality, but there's a huge leap in performance. No one griped about that. What's the difference here?

So we don't have any DX10 titles that can test those abilities yet... WAAAHHHHHH!!! Cry about it please, because nvidia will hear it immediately and feel sorry for you... NOT! You can dispute this as much as you want, but the first generation of cards using a new direct x version usually aren't that great on the new direct x, but they are stellar on the older version. The 8xxx series is a "transition" series of cards. I'm sure when the 9xxx cards come out they will be designed to run heavy DX10 titles. Until then, be happy that your not still on that 6800. The 8800 GTX is a MASSIVE upgrade from a 6800.

john19055
05-10-07, 08:14 PM
How is the 8800GTX DX10 incompatable,I thought they had to make it by microsoft Vista spec's for DX10.

agentkay
05-10-07, 08:28 PM
How is the 8800GTX DX10 incompatable,I thought they had to make it by microsoft Vista spec's for DX10.

Itīs not DX10 incompatable, its that simple. Just another bunch of FUD from the ATI/AMD camp.

kevJ420
05-10-07, 08:42 PM
It's going to be DX10 compatible and have more speed for any and all DX10 games there will ever be.

What it doesn't have is good IQ by my standards for dx9 and before games.

That's why I'm here so much. The IQ sucks that bad, but the performance is great.

Everyone should keep in mind that the 9700 pro, the 1st dx 9 card, ran the very 1st DX9 games perfectly (in terms of speed) one year after it was released. Think Halo and TR AOD.

If ATI could accomplish that w/ dx 9, then nvidia sure as hell can accomplish as much w/ dx10 performance.

SLippe
05-10-07, 08:53 PM
I hate trolls.

centurie
05-10-07, 10:07 PM
the guy/troll has a point............how do you realy know if the cards are dx 10 compatable if they have never been tested??...........even nvidia don't realy know if they are going to work......when nvida made the cards they must have tested them with something that was DX10 right ??? if so why wasn't the software released to the public after the cards were launched.

and think of it this way , why is that all the upcomming DX10 game have all been out back.......not one game has a release date.why is this ????????/ill tell you why. because nvidia cards don't work in dx10 and they are struggling and working like hell to try and fix the problem........

i bet you when the fist so called DX10 game comes out it would look no diffrent than DX9........i bet if someone with a high end 7 series card set the game settings to exaclty the same as someone with an 8 series card you will find they look both the same..........

remember DX10 is supposed to have better visuals right ?? i bet you it will not be the case..............i bet its all a scam..

and im betting that DX10 was just a ghost so as to boost computer op sales like vista and also to boost graphic card manufactures coffers.......if the 8800's do have better visuals ill eat my hat

AngelGraves13
05-10-07, 10:32 PM
the guy/troll has a point............how do you realy know if the cards are dx 10 compatable if they have never been tested??...........even nvidia don't realy know if they are going to work......when nvida made the cards they must have tested them with something that was DX10 right ??? if so why wasn't the software released to the public after the cards were launched.

and think of it this way , why is that all the upcomming DX10 game have all been out back.......not one game has a release date.why is this ????????/ill tell you why. because nvidia cards don't work in dx10 and they are struggling and working like hell to try and fix the problem........

i bet you when the fist so called DX10 game comes out it would look no diffrent than DX9........i bet if someone with a high end 7 series card set the game settings to exaclty the same as someone with an 8 series card you will find they look both the same..........

remember DX10 is supposed to have better visuals right ?? i bet you it will not be the case..............i bet its all a scam..

and im betting that DX10 was just a ghost so as to boost computer op sales like vista and also to boost graphic card manufactures coffers.......if the 8800's do have better visuals ill eat my hat

Do you like blowing smoke out of ***? That's the biggest heap of **** I've heard thus far.

Bioshock supports DirectX10 and will be out in August. When set in DirectX10 mode, it will be able to do more complex water effects as well as improve performance.

Crysis is also up and running in DirectX10, as we've seen in HD videos.

And where is your proof that anything you said should be taken seriously.

Also...you seem to know nothing about what DirectX10 even is. It's not there to make things look prettier. It's there so that developers can have the tools they've been asking for to bring their visions to life while not taxing the hardware so much.

You think everything is a conspiracy and everyone is in on it. I bet you're the same kind of people who think that the moon landing video was fake and Hilter is alive and well having coffee with Elvis in space.

Well...how about you go read up and Windows Vista and DirectX10 and then read up on the Geforce 8 series too. At least know what you're talking about before you begin saying it's a conspiracy. And...have some sources!

centurie
05-10-07, 10:56 PM
99tolife
prove me wrong ..............you can't right?..there is not even a DX10 demo out yet.........and as for seeing a trailer of crises, that could have been manipulated with photo shop or editing software..........you or anyone else can not prove to me that DX10 realy exists.......and you cannot prove to me one way or another that DX10 will be nothing more than a driver update.

i say a driver update because i think that thats all it will be.......take this for example you can get one driver for say a 7 series card that has crap IQ then you get another revision that has fantastic IQ.with me so far ???

so as DX10 will never get off the fround they will work on an 800 series driver with great IQ to fool you into thinking that its DX10.........

prove me wrong