PDA

View Full Version : Forza Motorsport 2 DEMO is out

Pages : [1] 2

KasuCode
05-10-07, 07:19 AM
Sorry for the new thread but it needed a new one. Its downloading now. What do you guys think about the game from the demo so far? 691MB download

KasuCode
05-10-07, 08:32 AM
24 Cars in the demo is pretty nice. Only 1 track. No tools to use to customize any of the cars other then changing the color. Only lets you pick a car and race. Still very cool demo.

So far I have tried the Mustang, Mazda RX-8, Viper, GT500, and a few of the RA Class cars. all sound and feel diffrent. Looks great. You can feel the effects of the damage while driving. Its going to take me a bit of time to get used to a race sim again. But feels great to drive the cars. Because of the short track its hard to tell much about the physics they have been talking about (tire heat and such). But I liked it alot and ill be getting this game as soon as I can.

KasuCode
05-10-07, 08:32 AM
Double post Please delete

lIqUID
05-10-07, 08:35 AM
I dont really like it, but maybe I just havent had enough time with it or something.

Apollo 13
05-10-07, 11:10 AM
havn't downloaded it yet, but heard the graphics suck.

kev13dd
05-10-07, 11:21 AM
havn't downloaded it yet, but heard the graphics suck.
You're helpful

Will download after class and after roommate wakes up (apperantly it's too loud to have on when he's sleeping)

K

kaltek
05-10-07, 11:36 AM
No joy here yet, the download has come to a crawl at ~85%. I've read the game doesn't look as good as advertised too but I'll stay clear from making any statements until that last 15% has arrived. Download..faster..please..

TiKiMaN1
05-10-07, 11:43 AM
O fetch I gotta download this when I get home. Maybe I will buy the MS steering wheel just for this game.:D

LiquidX
05-10-07, 11:52 AM
I like it so far. The visuals are not blowing me over and if anything there average for a 2007 racer. It runs at 60fps with no problems but to be honest it doesn't seem any faster than PGR3 which is 30fps. I also would have liked a in the car view as I don't like the hood view and rather not race where I can see the full car. I will have to take it for a longer spin later to see if its a must buy.

ENU291
05-10-07, 12:01 PM
I like it so far. The visuals are not blowing me over and if anything there average for a 2007 racer. It runs at 60fps with no problems but to be honest it doesn't seem any faster than PGR3 which is 30fps. I also would have liked a in the car view as I don't like the hood view and rather not race where I can see the full car. I will have to take it for a longer spin later to see if its a must buy.
I haven't downloaded the demo but it's somewhat disappointing to hear that the visuals are not that impressive. As per the game running at 60fps, I think the benefits of having such a high fps rate will come to light once you start racing really fast cars.

kev13dd
05-10-07, 03:58 PM
The visuals aren't that bad, but yes, they aren't impressive

The skys are amazing, the cars are amazing, the trees and brush outside the track that you zip by is amazing- but unfortunatly what ruins it for me is how they have those great looking things mixed in with stuff that's... meh. The grass on the track isn't pretty enough to fit. The track itself isn't very highly detailed (I'd say even NFS has nicer roads). I'd say "I hope they put more effort into them for the full game" but since it's already finished... eh. I'll rent it, but I wouldn't say it's up to the hype

K

MustangSVT
05-10-07, 04:59 PM
The demo rocks. I can't wait for the game to come out. I'm gonna be playing this one all summer.

Tr1cK
05-10-07, 05:14 PM
O fetch I gotta download this when I get home. Maybe I will buy the MS steering wheel just for this game.:D

I love the wheel and even made a stand for mine that holds the pedals in place and all. It came with PGR3 which is a blast in itself. I hope the wheel works as well with Forza Dos as it does with PGR3.

Blackcat
05-10-07, 06:42 PM
The demo definitely does not live up to the hype. I thought this was supposed to be next gen graphics but all the jaggies made my eyes bleed. Also, there is really not much sense of speed which I thought the 60 fps would bring. Have been waiting forever for a good racing game to come out, now I guess I will wait for Dirt.

slick
05-10-07, 07:25 PM
The demo definitely does not live up to the hype. I thought this was supposed to be next gen graphics but all the jaggies made my eyes bleed. Also, there is really not much sense of speed which I thought the 60 fps would bring.

Sounds like all you were waiting for is a good eye-candy game to come out. This is a phenomenal racing sim.

The controls feel fantastic; they did an amazing job with the wheel. It sounds great, plays great, and for the most part, looks great.

Try to remember, this is not a graphics tech demo first, racing sim second.

It feels so good to have an adequate racing sim on the 360, PGR's controls were beginning to frustrate me. I find the game a whole lot more fun with all assists off. It's such a more personal driving experience when you know you have complete control over the car. I love it.

Can't wait for retail.

Have been waiting forever for a good racing game to come out, now I guess I will wait for Dirt.

:udawg:

Cream
05-10-07, 07:34 PM
First impressions...

Graphically-

It looks nice but not stunning. In terms of effects I think PGR3 has it well beat. The track and surrounding look a little plain and underwhelming, a little life less. Car models are nice, although some Honda Type R for example look a little toy like. On the positive side the drawing distance is fantastic, the FSAA is improve although still not stunning, but you can see this was done at 720p unlike PGR3 which was upscaled AND it runs at 60fps :D

Sound-
Good engine sounds with nice surround sound effects as your passing or getting passed :) by other cars. There is no music in game which is fine for me but may annoy others. Although there may be an option in the full game to use your own mp3s.

Game play-
This is where the game shines for me. The physics in this game are great :). tried out a few different cars and they all feel completely different. Even different rear wheel drive cars feel completely different in there balance and traction. The 911 turbo is fantastic with MASSIVE power slides being held with loads of power and opposite lock 8). Subaru feels glued to the road with it's 4WD and Honda Type R and plenty of under steer correctable by getting off the throttle and allowing the back end to slide round.

Really looking forward to getting this game, I just hope they tweak the graphics a little before the game goes GOLD, but I won't be gutted if they don't and I can't wait to see some of the pic's guy's are going to put on these new hi def cars :D

Blackcat
05-10-07, 08:11 PM
Sounds like all you were waiting for is a good eye-candy game to come out. This is a phenomenal racing sim.

The controls feel fantastic; they did an amazing job with the wheel. It sounds great, plays great, and for the most part, looks great.

Try to remember, this is not a graphics tech demo first, racing sim second.

It feels so good to have an adequate racing sim on the 360, PGR's controls were beginning to frustrate me. I find the game a whole lot more fun with all assists off. It's such a more personal driving experience when you know you have complete control over the car. I love it.

Can't wait for retail.

:udawg:

Glad you find my post amusing and are easily impressed with subpar games. I know it is supposed to be a racing sim and graphics are not supposed to be importand blah blah blah. But guess what slick , this game was hyped by the makers as being the be all of racing sims and that includes graphically. What is the deal with all the jaggies, the 360 is supposed to have AA is it not? Call me a graphics *****, I do not care, but the 360 is supposed to be a next gen console and these guys send out a game that looks like 1/2 a generation ago. As a customer who shells out $60.00 a pop for a game it better look pretty damn nice or they are not getting my $. Also, as I said in my last post if it is such a true Sim where is the sense of speed? Sorry, not there. I am also not the only person who feels this way, go to the Forza site or to xbox.com and you will see all the other people like me who think this demo is less than what it should be.

Not sure what you find so amusing about my Dirt statement, it is a racing game, not a sim, and even though it will not have a live feature I am sure it will be more fun and look much better than your Forza 2 game.

agentkay
05-10-07, 08:36 PM
Does it look any better than the pictures here:

http://www.gamekult.com/images/J000077659/p1/

If it doesn´t look much better than that I´m waiting a while until I can grab the game for $30 or less.

Blackcat
05-10-07, 08:57 PM
Does it look any better than the pictures here:

http://www.gamekult.com/images/J000077659/p1/

If it doesn´t look much better than that I´m waiting a while until I can grab the game for $30 or less.

No, that is what it looks like. Definitely worth $30 but not $60 IMO.

slick
05-10-07, 09:17 PM
Glad you find my post amusing and are easily impressed with subpar games. I know it is supposed to be a racing sim and graphics are not supposed to be importand blah blah blah. But guess what slick , this game was hyped by the makers as being the be all of racing sims and that includes graphically. What is the deal with all the jaggies, the 360 is supposed to have AA is it not? Call me a graphics *****, I do not care, but the 360 is supposed to be a next gen console and these guys send out a game that looks like 1/2 a generation ago. As a customer who shells out $60.00 a pop for a game it better look pretty damn nice or they are not getting my $. Also, as I said in my last post if it is such a true Sim where is the sense of speed? Sorry, not there. I am also not the only person who feels this way, go to the Forza site or to xbox.com and you will see all the other people like me who think this demo is less than what it should be.

Please point out where this was hyped as the "end all be all" of racing sims? Oh right, it never has been, just as a racing sim. Go figure.

So, how about all the other racing sims out there? Ever tried GPL? How about LFS? Yeah, those are best PC racing sims out there and they look like complete ASS compared to "next-gen" games. But guess what, they are still really good racing sims. My god how do they pull it off!

Sense of speed? It's an incredibly small track on which you don't go very fast. Yeah, there's not much of a sense of speed to be had when you're consistently doing 50-70 around turns and rarely top 100. Even more than that, you're always at least 100 yards away from anything sitting still, which might have something to do with the fact that you don't always see things flying by, thus really killing that "sense of speed" that I hear is a requirement for a racing sim to work these days. Seems to be fine to me. Sounds like you're a bit spoiled by Burnout on what "speed" looks like.

Yeah, the graphics aren't phenomenal, I know. It's not like they're bad either. They look fine the way they are now, and here's even better news: The demo build is *gasp* old. It should look a little more clean in retail. I don't have a problem with them.

My bad though, I forgot that this a was a graphics tech demo first and a racing sim second. It good to know that Turn 10 had their priorities in order when making this game. Physics, framerate, car customization and controls are all VASTLY more important than pretty graphics for a racing sim.

And you know what, I'm going to take your advice. You're a graphics *****, plain and simple. You have absolutely no appreciation for the kind of game that Forza is and I understand that, but spare us the irrational opinion.

Not sure what you find so amusing about my Dirt statement, it is a racing game, not a sim, and even though it will not have a live feature I am sure it will be more fun and look much better than your Forza 2 game.

Absolutely nothing. I hope you have a great time with DiRT. It sounds awesome.

OWA
05-10-07, 10:00 PM
Hmm, not quite what I was expecting. The graphics are okay but not as good as the screenshots I had seen. I was also a little disappointed that there isn't an in-car view especially since some have been saying it's a sim. The damage was a nice. Overall, like I mentioned already, not quite what I expected so I'll probably wait to see how people feel about the full-game before deciding.

Blackcat
05-10-07, 10:02 PM
Lol, Man Slick did I hurt your feelings because I think this demo is not all that?
I can tell that you think your self the reigning know it all of what a racing racing sim should be. I know this is a different type of sim but I think the best racing sim made was Nascar 2003 by Papyrus. A true sim that had realistic car handling with next gen graphics, and you felt like you were actually going fast. I think it is a shame that 7 years later on a system with more power, that the team that made Forza can barely, if they do at all make a better game. If the Papyrus team was still together and they made this game it would make this new Forza game look silly and outdated.

As for this being an old build and the actual game looking better when it comes out please show me a link that has proof of this. I don't think you will because this is not an old build and it is what the game will look and play like, so please do not delude yourself into thinking otherwise. I actually hope that I am wrong about this because I wanted this to be a kick ass game that shines in ALL areas but I do not think that will be the case. If I am wrong I will owe you an apology that I will gladly give.

slick
05-10-07, 11:12 PM
Lol, Man Slick did I hurt your feelings because I think this demo is not all that?
I can tell that you think your self the reigning know it all of what a racing racing sim should be. I know this is a different type of sim but I think the best racing sim made was Nascar 2003 by Papyrus. A true sim that had realistic car handling with next gen graphics, and you felt like you were actually going fast. I think it is a shame that 7 years later on a system with more power, that the team that made Forza can barely, if they do at all make a better game. If the Papyrus team was still together and they made this game it would make this new Forza game look silly and outdated.

I don't have feelings to be hurt, but you can play the "oh noes did I offend you?!?" card if you like. Classic argument for those that generally have none.

As you aptly pointed out, NASCAR 2003 is an inherently different simulator, and provides no real comparison to Forza. But again, you are being irrational and basing your argument on the validity of Forza as a simulator entirely off graphics. ASIDE from graphics (which, in reality, has no bearing on its merit as a simulator, but I'll play along), name one place where Forza falls short as a simulator.

The game has an absolutely insane physics model plays quite realistically. You're giving the Forza team less credit than they deserve. I'm sure if Turn 10 sat down for 2 years to make a game based around 1 car and 1 car only they could have made an astounding simulator as well. But they didn't, they made a game with an astoundingly realistic physics model for 300+ cars, each with 29 customizable performance-related part categories, with each category having a multitude of parts that behave differently (i.e.; millions of possible cars). Call me when Papyrus pulls this off.

What's a shame is that your only valid problem with this game is that it's not pretty enough for you, so you've decided to channel that anger into projecting problems onto the game as a whole.

As for this being an old build and the actual game looking better when it comes out please show me a link that has proof of this. I don't think you will because this is not an old build and it is what the game will look and play like, so please do not delude yourself into thinking otherwise. I actually hope that I am wrong about this because I wanted this to be a kick ass game that shines in ALL areas but I do not think that will be the case. If I am wrong I will owe you an apology that I will gladly give.

I don't feel like digging through the 7000+ replies of the GAF Forza 2 thread, but it was mentioned multiple times. The demo build was submitted to Microsoft over 2 weeks ago and the game likely has improved since then. Not to mention Che Chou - Forza's community manager, who posts regularly in the thread and on GAF; his user name is chespace - has said it's an older build. I'll take his word for it.

I expect the visuals to be cleaner on the final build, if only marginally, but the gameplay doesn't need any tweaking, it plays phenomenally across the board (they did an outrageous job with the wheel, too).

KasuCode
05-10-07, 11:31 PM
This is the same demo they had in E3 last year. So as far as being old there ya go. Im wondering if the summer patched turned off AA as rummored to. Ah well I think the game looks pretty good for a racing sim. The most important thing to me was to not feel like im driving the same car every time I get a new car. And so far it seems every car is diffrent. Going to have to wait for the full game.

aaahhh52
05-11-07, 12:07 AM
ok before i hook up my 360 again to download this...how are the sounds as far as the v8 cars go...do mustangs sound like they should? loud and rumbling, or do they sound like passing bumble bee's like most racing games?