PDA

View Full Version : Geforce 7 versus 8 output quality? Does anyone notice any difference?

kevJ420
05-10-07, 05:15 PM
I have an 8800 gtx and all, but with my 6 series I used a VGA CRT, so I was wondering the following (never had a 7 series)(note: this has nothing to do with AA, af, **** like that, just raw signal quality):

1. did the 7 series integrated tmds look better than the nvio's tmds?

2. (this is a stupid question but I need it answered though):
does anyone know if there's any differences in dvi signal quality from board to board, bios to bios?

Rummy
05-10-07, 05:28 PM
:headexplode:

kevJ420
05-10-07, 05:40 PM
:headexplode:

Nice pic, but I really need my question answered.

einstein_314
05-10-07, 06:36 PM
The answer to both questions is no. I fail to see how one DVI signal would look better than another....it's a digital signal.

Madpistol
05-10-07, 06:42 PM
It's digital vs. analog. The digital signal is more stable and less likely to loose data compared to the analog.

Thus Digital is better, and probably looks crisper.

kevJ420
05-10-07, 07:02 PM
Thanks=)

It makes more sense to me now.

GamblerFEXonlin
05-25-07, 07:09 AM
It's not that easy. Digital signals can also be low quality.

extremetech did an extensive test with video cards and their DVI quality with an oscilloscope, but i couldn't find the article now. I found this.

It turned out that the integrated TMDS transmitter wasn't running even running the full 162MHz speed, but was actually transmitting at 142MHz. To support 1600x1200, the transmitter actually incorporated a reduced blanking interval. While many flat panels might run at this bandwidth, many others would show jittery images with substantial dot crawl, a phenomenon where it looks like individual pixels are moving around due to the poor, non-compliant DVI signal coming from the graphics card. Here's what the data eye looked like at 142MHz.
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1189292,00.asp

I stumbled upon this thread wondering if most geforce 8 has excellent analogue VGA CRT quality but found only DVI discussion.

Madpistol
05-25-07, 09:19 AM
I stumbled upon this thread wondering if most geforce 8 has excellent analogue VGA CRT quality but found only DVI discussion.

To answer your question, I have my 8800 GTX converted to analog so it can output to a 19" crt. I don't have a side by side comparison between VGA and DVI, but from what I can tell, there is next to no difference between the 2. The picture on my 19" CRT looks beautiful, far better than it did on my 6800 GT.

Once again, I can't do a side-by-side comparison of how it actually looks, but from what I can tell, there is almost no difference in picture quality.

SLippe
05-25-07, 07:38 PM
Someone please shoot me right now! FFS! :headexplode:

|MaguS|
05-25-07, 08:42 PM
Someone please shoot me right now! FFS! :headexplode:

No! Reading his posts is the best form of torture. ^_^

They should make the terrorists in guantanamo read his posts... you can well bet they will start talking...

SLippe
05-25-07, 10:04 PM
No! Reading his posts is the best form of torture. ^_^

They should make the terrorists in guantanamo read his posts... you can well bet they will start talking...
I can't take it! I'll tell you whatever you want to know! Just make him stop, for the love of Allah!!!! :wimp: