PDA

View Full Version : Intel Core 2 X6800 Won't OC passed 3.21Ghz

Pages : [1] 2

Digital_Trans
05-11-07, 03:28 AM
My Intel Core 2 X6800 won't OC passed 3.21Ghz I've tryed overclocking it to 3.4Ghz but I end up getting the Windows Vista blue screen of death only nothing dies, I just have to convert back to a lower clock speed such as 3.21Ghz. Any suggestions on getting my cpu to run stable OC at 3.5GHz?

Hardware specs listed below......

rewt
05-11-07, 05:04 AM
Hi Digital,

Try giving the cpu a small bump in voltage in the BIOS. Then see if it can run stable at a higher clock speed. If it can, then the extra voltage helped.

Be sure to keep an eye on temps. Higher voltage to the cpu can make it hotter.

Digital_Trans
05-11-07, 04:59 PM
Well, I took your guys advice and I want to thank you for it but my system ran to hot with the VCore Voltage just touched up a notch from auto to 1.90000v My CPU was reaching nearly 81c I went back to auto and just set the OC to 3.21GHz which is perfect. After all, the memory and video card and now cpu are tweaked out just a tab so no need to overkill with such a massive setup I've got now. Thanks for your guys insight on this concern...have a great weekend! :D

bmg
05-11-07, 05:32 PM
Well, I took your guys advice and I want to thank you for it but my system ran to hot with the VCore Voltage just touched up a notch from auto to 1.90000v My CPU was reaching nearly 81c I went back to auto and just set the OC to 3.21GHz which is perfect. After all, the memory and video card and now cpu are tweaked out just a tab so no need to overkill with such a massive setup I've got now. Thanks for your guys insight on this concern...have a great weekend! :D
Is that 1.90v real or a typo? That's hardly what I'd call increasing the voltage a "notch". Got to be a typo....

$n][pErMan
05-11-07, 05:37 PM
1.9V... LOL.... im surprised it did not shoot off the motherboard like a rocket. That had better be a typo or you will be lucky if your CPU continues to even work at all....

Digital_Trans
05-11-07, 06:22 PM
[pErMan']1.9V... LOL.... im surprised it did not shoot off the motherboard like a rocket. That had better be a typo or you will be lucky if your CPU continues to even work at all....

Yes, here's how it all worked out....

I went into th bios and in VCore Voltage here's what I did.... I by mistake selected right under Auto 1.9000v What I should have done was start from 0.83125v I seemed to just select 1.90v which is the highest.
It got very hot reaching 81c and going. I decided to reboot and set it back to auto. I did get confused on the numeric representation on how the VCore levels looked in the bios. In most cases normal numeric representation looks like this > 1.90v On the Asus Striker Extreme it looks like this > 1.9000v and the lowest knowing looks like this > 0.83125v What do you guys think? lmoa!!!! Should I redo the thermal paste and check out the cpu? I'm watercooled but never the less I sure don't want the thermal paste to cook off the cpu. Should I reapply the thermal paste again or check the cpu? Everything is running normal but I like being extra safe and neat! I feel bad about the mistake but no one is perfect. current temp cpu temp is 31c

shabby
05-11-07, 06:57 PM
Please read some "how to overclock" guides before your blow your cpu.
You wanna start from around 1.35v and work your way up, my e6400 is running fine at 3.2ghz using only 1.3875v.

$n][pErMan
05-11-07, 07:06 PM
If your CPU still works you are VERY lucky in that respect. However it sure does not bode well for longterm stability on any overclock... you had to have damaged something with that high of a Vcore. The defualt voltage is like 1.35V. Im running mine at 1.4V.... the highest I have ever seen on these forums is 1.6V and that was running hot from what I saw.

Dazz
05-11-07, 07:39 PM
I agree 1.45v ia enough get it down from 1.9v ASAP!!! thats far too much for these processors.

Digital_Trans
05-11-07, 07:49 PM
[pErMan']If your CPU still works you are VERY lucky in that respect. However it sure does not bode well for longterm stability on any overclock... you had to have damaged something with that high of a Vcore. The defualt voltage is like 1.35V. Im running mine at 1.4V.... the highest I have ever seen on these forums is 1.6V and that was running hot from what I saw.

It's still running perfectly normal now. I have a full 3-year warranty on the CPU. If you think something got damaged what are the signs to look for? It's running smooth since setting it to auto. Note: The motherboard got up to 52c which isn't to bad when I did hit the Vcore to 1.90v which is back down to auto.

Digital_Trans
05-11-07, 07:50 PM
I agree 1.45v ia enough get it down from 1.9v ASAP!!! thats far too much for these processors.

Do you think I'll have to RMA the cpu? Or Motherboard after doing that stupid stunt? So far so good right now.

bmg
05-11-07, 07:58 PM
Do you think I'll have to RMA the cpu? Or Motherboard after doing that stupid stunt? So far so good right now.
Got to give you credit for honesty :) I'm surprised your processor survived, but since it still seems to still be working, you're hopefully ok. With water cooling I'd think you'd be fine running at 1.50v or less...a bit more for short periods. I've been running 1.425v for the past year with air cooling with no degradation in performance.

Digital_Trans
05-11-07, 08:17 PM
Okay, I'm fully running stable now... I set the vcore voltage at 1.45v and the cpu is OC to 3.47GHz - SOLID AS A ROCK! :D Do you guys still think I might have done some damage to the cpu still prior to setting the VCore voltage to 1.9v? I'm thinking If I did I wouldn't be talking to you right now like this.
I know the board is perfect and wasn't at all effected in anyway and if anything it would be the CPU which I don't see a problem with as we speak. I'm new to the entire vcore voltage settings but now I know the entire layout. It took awhile to explore all the features that the Asus Stiker Extreme has to offer in the bios but it is wel worth it.

Digital_Trans
05-11-07, 08:30 PM
Please read some "how to overclock" guides before your blow your cpu.
You wanna start from around 1.35v and work your way up, my e6400 is running fine at 3.2ghz using only 1.3875v.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I'm fully running stable now... I set the vcore voltage at 1.45v and the cpu is OC to 3.47GHz - SOLID AS A ROCK! Do you guys still think I might have done some damage to the cpu still prior to setting the VCore voltage to 1.9v? I'm thinking If I did I wouldn't be talking to you right now like this.
I know the board is perfect and wasn't at all effected in anyway and if anything it would be the CPU which I don't see a problem with as we speak. I'm new to the entire vcore voltage settings but now I know the entire layout. It took awhile to explore all the features that the Asus Stiker Extreme has to offer in the bios but it is wel worth it.

buffbiff21
05-11-07, 08:34 PM
wow

Any suggestions on getting my cpu to run stable OC at 3.5GHz?

set front side bus at 450 (1800), multi 8..
underclock memory at 900.
up the northbridge voltage.
up cpu voltage. (LESS than 1.6)

have a nice day. :D

DMx
05-11-07, 08:59 PM
It's still running perfectly normal now. I have a full 3-year warranty on the CPU. If you think something got damaged what are the signs to look for? It's running smooth since setting it to auto. Note: The motherboard got up to 52c which isn't to bad when I did hit the Vcore to 1.90v which is back down to auto.

That warranty is as useless as a chocolate mantlepiece now, as soon as you change the voltage and they find out. Especially at 1.90V, they will surely find out.

Digital_Trans
05-11-07, 09:14 PM
That warranty is as useless as a chocolate mantlepiece now, as soon as you change the voltage and they find out. Especially at 1.90V, they will surely find out.

My friend toasted his Intel cpu and Intel replaced it free! We never told then that the CPU was VCored at the highest Voltage possible...LMAO!
It's stable and no damage. Hell, if my cpu we're damaged I would be getting blue screens, or a crash right after I set the VCore Voltage that high. It's all good guys! I'm lucky as hell today!
I set the vcore at 1.45v he cpu is clocked at 3.47GHz I don't want it to get any hotter. Hell for the record it was only set at 1.90V for a couple of mins. It was never long term just to note.

DMx
05-11-07, 09:23 PM
My friend toasted his Intel cpu and Intel replaced it free! We never told then that the CPU was VCored at the highest Voltage possible...LMAO!
It's stable and no damage. Hell, if my cpu we're damaged I would be getting blue screens, or a crash right after I set the VCore Voltage that high. It's all good guys! I'm lucky as hell today!
I set the vcore at 1.45v he cpu is clocked at 3.47GHz I don't want it to get any hotter. Hell for the record it was only set at 1.90V for a couple of mins. It was never long term just to note.

If it were Liquid Nitrogen cooled, a 1.90V would be possible :P. They may or may not find out, and damage may not currently be apparant, but don't strike it out just yet, go easy on it for a short while.

Digital_Trans
05-11-07, 09:34 PM
If it were Liquid Nitrogen cooled, a 1.90V would be possible :P. They may or may not find out, and damage may not currently be apparant, but don't strike it out just yet, go easy on it for a short while.

This is true, but I think my motherboard might have safe guarded any major problems or damage to the CPU. It did run at 81c but it's still alive and kicking strong. I'm going to clock it down for a couple of days to just be on the safe side of things. If anything, would you know what signs to look for if the CPU is at all damaged? I've not taken the waterblock off to look. But what would I be looking for if any?

$n][pErMan
05-11-07, 11:11 PM
52C is damn hot for a motherboard... my CPU under full load is not even that hot....

Digital_Trans
05-12-07, 12:47 AM
Well, the Asus Striker Extreme really is a grand motherboard to own.
I beat the hell out of the VCore Voltage and it's still going strong!
I'm just glad nothing is damaged. I've note had any system lock ups or reboots or anything! I'm in the clear now.

DMx
05-12-07, 12:57 AM
This is true, but I think my motherboard might have safe guarded any major problems or damage to the CPU. It did run at 81c but it's still alive and kicking strong. I'm going to clock it down for a couple of days to just be on the safe side of things. If anything, would you know what signs to look for if the CPU is at all damaged? I've not taken the waterblock off to look. But what would I be looking for if any?

Symptoms would be instabilities, program crashes, BSODs, random program closing, bad memory management (data being lost), PC not booting, etc.

I doubt the motherboard "saved" you, if it booted at that voltage then it never did anything to prevent any damage. My A8N32-SLi Deluxe doesn't boot or reports overclocking failed if it detects any potential damage or instabilities.

Although all of what I said may be worrying, I wouldn't worry too much, you didn't run it long enough to cause any MAJOR immediate risks to the CPU.

Digital_Trans
05-12-07, 02:17 AM
Symptoms would be instabilities, program crashes, BSODs, random program closing, bad memory management (data being lost), PC not booting, etc.

I doubt the motherboard "saved" you, if it booted at that voltage then it never did anything to prevent any damage. My A8N32-SLi Deluxe doesn't boot or reports overclocking failed if it detects any potential damage or instabilities.

Although all of what I said may be worrying, I wouldn't worry too much, you didn't run it long enough to cause any MAJOR immediate risks to the CPU.

Exactly, At first the computer didn't want to boot up when I adjusted the Vcore Voltage to 1.90V but it did and it ran very unstable. After about 3 boot ups it finally ran with the VCore set at 1.90V I wasn't running it for not even five mins before seeing those temps jump up to 81c I got concerned and rebooted and

lowered the clock speed and vcore voltage. So it was a close call. Now I'm setting at 3.47GHz withthe vcore voltage at 1.40V as suggested. I might bump the vcore up a notch to 1.45V

$n][pErMan
05-12-07, 12:02 PM
Thats why I love my motherboard.... it will not post if I set something thats unstable. And a simple flick of the power supply switch off then back on then hitting the power button cycles my motherboard and it will boot up saying "Overclock Failed" and allow me to go back in and change some settings. This was great when I was messing with my memory timings and on other motherboards would have had to use a jumper to reset the cmos every damn time. This will acctually preserve your settings while setting them stable in the backround so you can change them :D

DMx
05-12-07, 03:18 PM
[pErMan']Thats why I love my motherboard.... it will not post if I set something thats unstable. And a simple flick of the power supply switch off then back on then hitting the power button cycles my motherboard and it will boot up saying "Overclock Failed" and allow me to go back in and change some settings. This was great when I was messing with my memory timings and on other motherboards would have had to use a jumper to reset the cmos every damn time. This will acctually preserve your settings while setting them stable in the backround so you can change them :D

ASUS MOTHERBOARDS KICK ASS! :captnkill: :captnkill: :captnkill: