PDA

View Full Version : AMD Demos Next-Generation Platform

KasuCode
05-11-07, 05:09 AM
This just keep getting more and more exciting. You know you will see crossfire and SLI support on the next gen boards with 4 cards. I cant wait to see numbers on these next-gen platforms.

AMD demonstrates 'Barcelona,' 'RD790' and 'R600' in California

AMD today held a press event demonstrating its next-generation platforms and technologies in Sunnyvale, California. The next-generation platforms and technologies include upcoming AMD K10 Phenom processors, RD790 chipsets and ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT graphics cards.

AMD demonstrated its upcoming Phenom FX processors in a Quad FX configuration. The Quad FX configuration consisted of an RD790-based motherboard with two quad-core Phenom FX processors, for a total of 8 cores, and an ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT.

Clock frequencies of the Phenom FX processors were not disclosed. "AMD failed to go into more detail regarding the technical specifications of the processors. The company only went as far as to say that the operating frequency of the processors used in the dual-socket system was more than that of the single-socket one," claimed Paolo Corsini, senior editor for Italian publication HWUpgrade.IT. Recent guidance from AMD claims the Phenom FX processors range from 2.2 GHz to 2.6 GHz.

The ad hoc demonstration paired Agena FX along with ATI's newest flagship, the Radeon HD 2900 XT, codenamed R600. May 14 will mark the actual R600 launch date, though vendors were allowed to show non-Crossfire configurations of the cards.

The motherboard used in the Quad FX demonstration was AMD’s very own RD790-based Wahoo reference board. Wahoo features AMD’s upcoming RD790 paired to the existing SB600 south bridge with three PCIe 2.0 x16 slots. AMD does not intend to sell Wahoo under its own name; however. AMD expects to offer complete reference design to manufacturers, similar to the Designed by NVIDIA motherboards.

AMD also plans to offer a Socket AM2+ RD790-based Hammerhead reference board. Hammerhead offers Hyper Transport 3.0, four PCIe 2.0 x16, one PCIe x1 and two PCI slots.

Expect AMD to unveil its ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT next week while RD790 and Phenom processors will have to wait as late as Q4 2007. AMD's latest guidance suggests RD790 and K10 will launch simultaneously.

Intel expects to unveil its Skulltrail Quad FX-competitor platform in the future as well.

http://www.dailytech.com/AMD+Demos+NextGeneration+Platform/article7243.htm Click for pics

Something diffrent from the Hardocp version of the story

Redeemed
05-11-07, 05:52 AM
This just keep getting more and more exciting. You know you will see crossfire and SLI support on the next gen boards with 4 cards. I cant wait to see numbers on these next-gen platforms.

http://www.dailytech.com/AMD+Demos+NextGeneration+Platform/article7243.htm Click for pics

Something diffrent from the Hardocp version of the story

Sounds like good news. I can't wait for the 14th either. :D

Madpistol
05-11-07, 09:18 AM
Q4??? That's when they're releasing "Phenom"???

Ouch... Looks like Intel was the way to go after all. :(

Madpistol
05-11-07, 04:21 PM
And guess what Intel will do at the same time...

Of course. It wouldn't be a good market if there wasn't competition from the latest and greatest technology of another camp. :D

Redeemed
05-11-07, 04:27 PM
AMD seems really confident that Barcelona and Agen will easily dominate Core2. As such, they're probably just as confident that it'll be competitive against Penryn as well. We'll see...

ViN86
05-11-07, 06:40 PM
AMD seems really confident that Barcelona and Agen will easily dominate Core2. As such, they're probably just as confident that it'll be competitive against Penryn as well. We'll see...
<- excited :D

a12ctic
05-11-07, 06:48 PM
Yay for another 2-4 years of Green on the offensive :).

Redeemed
05-11-07, 06:49 PM
Yay for another 2-4 years of Green on the offensive :).

LOL

You planning on upgrading to AM2+ Arctic?

a12ctic
05-11-07, 06:51 PM
LOL

Yeah, Im looking forward to my quad core, I want to make the jump from a single core to a quad core hehe.

Redeemed
05-11-07, 06:57 PM
Yeah, Im looking forward to my quad core, I want to make the jump from a single core to a quad core hehe.

That'll be a huge jump. lol

a12ctic
05-11-07, 07:02 PM
That'll be a huge jump. lol
Yeah, I'm pretty excited, I don't know if I'll have money accumulated by them, but we shall see. I'll probably wait it out for the first price cuts.

DMx
05-11-07, 09:04 PM
LOL

I'm going Socket 1207 with Phenom FX 2.6GHz :captnkill:

DMx
05-11-07, 09:11 PM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=25595&stc=1&d=1178934538

Y HULO THAR!

jAkUp
05-11-07, 11:02 PM
The Hammerhead board has TWO molex connectors??!!

DMx
05-12-07, 12:16 AM
The Hammerhead board has TWO molex connectors??!!

Reference board