PDA

View Full Version : 64 to 32 bit Vista - a lot happier!

j0j081
05-11-07, 09:19 AM
Well on and off for a few weeks I messed around with the 64 bit version of Vista. It seemed to be running okay performance wise, my only problem was random bsods and program crashes. I tried pretty much everything I could find searching various forums and using google and although it seemed I had fixed it a couple of times the bsods eventually came back. I did find that Vista and old nforce3 mobos don't mix too well so feeling a little discouraged I decided to try the 32 bit version. Now you might wonder why I'd be running the 64 bit version to begin with on my aging system but I run XP x64 edition and it works flawlessly and has been for nearly two years. Gaming and everything else was on par with XP so I felt impelled to use the 64 bit version of Vista as well. Anyway, immediate after installing the 32 bit version of Vista I noticed my pc in general running much smoother and now after installing my drivers and the base apps I've been testing with I can tell it is running immensely faster as well. Equally importantly I've had it up for quite some time and no BSODs or program crashes yet. One strange thing I did notice while setting it up was in comparison to the 64 bit version before I installed my sound card driver my bios was actually beeping at me like it does in regular XP. It wasn't doing that in the 64 bit version. Well I don't know what was wrong and can't say for sure it is fixed yet but seems very promising. Vista is great now IMO, probably will still have to use XP for gaming but this is definitely a lot more fun than before lol. :captnkill:

Dr.Nick
05-11-07, 10:23 AM
Good call to use the 32bit version. At least for now it is far better but I'm hoping things will change later in the year. Glad to hear it worked out for you

Lfctony
05-11-07, 10:31 AM
I had to switch to Vista 64 to utilise my ram fully, didn't have any problems. Glad to see it's working out for you. In all honesty, I would have preferred staying with Vista 32, but alas... it was not meant to be. :)

nekrosoft13
05-11-07, 10:39 AM
i'm very happy with 64bit too

everything i need works

Redeemed
05-11-07, 04:41 PM
Same here.

Double-same-here. :captnkill:

j0j081
05-12-07, 05:50 AM
yeah must just be this outdated hardware. ill prob go with 64 bit when I get a whole new rig at the end of this year hopefully.