PDA

View Full Version : 12 years ago today, the most underrated system there ever was launched in the U.S.

Pages : [1] 2

kevJ420
05-11-07, 12:52 PM
I decided to pay tribute to Sega Saturn today, since it has been 12 ****ing years since it launched in the U.S. on 5/11/1995.

I thought it was the most underrated system in the U.S. there ever was.

I can't believe I was but a wee lad in the 2nd grade when it launched, and today I'm in college. It seems like it was in another lifetime.

I know it wasn't very popular in the US, but there should be more than a few hardcore gamers here today who'd like to pay their tribute to Sega's 3rd console.

I simply thought the Saturn simply had funner games than it's competitors.

Peoples-Agent
05-11-07, 12:55 PM
I agree, for the time that was a great piece of kit.

Does anyone know why it doomed in the end? It was awesome.

ViN86
05-11-07, 01:01 PM
why did it fail?

price imo.

|MaguS|
05-11-07, 01:08 PM
Saturn failed due to ****ty 3D capabilities aswell as lack of developer support. When a game was made in 3D for both the Saturn and PSX the Saturn one was the worse of the two... it was an amazing 2D Machine but the industry moved to 3D so it couldn't use it as a selling point.

KasuCode
05-11-07, 01:26 PM
I loved my Saturn. Knights into dreams, Virtual cop, House of the dead, Virtual Fighter 2. I thought the spaceship flying thru as you listen to music was the coolest thing ever.

Happy birthday Sega Saturn

ENU291
05-11-07, 01:27 PM
Another "I LOVE SEGA" thread from kev.... :headexplode: :rolleyes:

Marvel_us
05-11-07, 01:33 PM
Another "I LOVE SEGA" thread from kev.... :headexplode: :rolleyes:

Hehe....:D

NaitoSan
05-11-07, 02:41 PM
I agree about other I LOVE SEGA from kev. :p

But Saturn is great console but poorly designed. I mean, it does have some decent 3D hardware but not be able to do transparent was bad idea. Funny, SOTN ran pretty sloppy while it runs beautifully on PSX.

Also Saturn is hard to program for since it has two CPU and 6 other processors. First CPU has excellent 2D hardware while 3D is very weak so 2nd CPU is supposely to aid 3D performance but was added late in development.

Also it lacked light sourcing and hardware video decompression support. But developers were able to find other way, i.e. rather impressive ports of Duke Nukem 3D and Quake.

Saturn lost a lot of third party support to PSX later on. PSX used triangles unlike quadrilaterals that Saturn used, which could be better looking if used correctly (i.e. Wipeout looked abit better due to less texture distortion which was common on PSX titles). But yeah, 2D hardware is excellent because of more video RAM Saturn had which got Saturn near-perfect arcade ports of Capcom fighting games.

Okay I could keep going but my coffee is getting cold. :D

Saturn started to fade away in end of 1997 due to lack of third party titles and support from SEGA. That's where Dreamcast comes in. Saturn was discountinued in late 1998.

kevJ420
05-11-07, 03:44 PM
I agree about other I LOVE SEGA from kev. :p

But Saturn is great console but poorly designed. I mean, it does have some decent 3D hardware but not be able to do transparent was bad idea. Funny, SOTN ran pretty sloppy while it runs beautifully on PSX.

Also Saturn is hard to program for since it has two CPU and 6 other processors. First CPU has excellent 2D hardware while 3D is very weak so 2nd CPU is supposely to aid 3D performance but was added late in development.

Also it lacked light sourcing and hardware video decompression support. But developers were able to find other way, i.e. rather impressive ports of Duke Nukem 3D and Quake.

Saturn lost a lot of third party support to PSX later on. PSX used triangles unlike quadrilaterals that Saturn used, which could be better looking if used correctly (i.e. Wipeout looked abit better due to less texture distortion which was common on PSX titles). But yeah, 2D hardware is excellent because of more video RAM Saturn had which got Saturn near-perfect arcade ports of Capcom fighting games.

Okay I could keep going but my coffee is getting cold. :D

Saturn started to fade away in end of 1997 due to lack of third party titles and support from SEGA. That's where Dreamcast comes in. Saturn was discountinued in late 1998.

while the Saturn version of Duke 3D was better than the n64 and ps versions, it still sucked compared to the PC-DOS original.

Plus the N64 version even wound up having better music, b/c of the pc original's midi synth. The redbook remix in the saturn one totally ****ed up the menu screens/duke nukem's theme.

I bought that **** a few years ago and I was anticipating a great experience ,but I was seriously let down.

Sega should bring their deep water brand back, though.

RAY16
05-11-07, 04:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiSgX5lDKqU

Still impresses me.

NaitoSan
05-11-07, 04:14 PM
I liked Saturn port because of few things like dynamic lightings and tilting. Lobotomy 3D engine was impressive (also used for Quake port).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IZCYkTValEM

I almost got a job at Lobotomy but they went under. Damn. :(

russ_3d
05-11-07, 04:19 PM
one important often overlooked aspect is that no-one can do jingles like sega can they???

i mean when have you heard 'plaaaiyyystaaaiitioooonnn' or 'exxx-boxxx' when you boot?

that was part of the console experience :(

ENU291
05-11-07, 04:20 PM
I think it's time that we gave KevJ a Lobotomy! :D ;)

kevJ420
05-11-07, 04:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiSgX5lDKqU

Still impresses me.

Are you a fan of Chakan the Forever Man?

kevJ420
05-11-07, 04:55 PM
I liked Saturn port because of few things like dynamic lightings and tilting. Lobotomy 3D engine was impressive (also used for Quake port).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IZCYkTValEM

Do you like powerslave? I've always wanted to try it, but never made the effort to buy it.

I know that was by Lobotomy, did it use the same engine as Duke3d saturn version?

Thinking of Duke 3d engines, 3D realms should name duke 4's engine the build 2 engine.

On the other hand, I've always wondered if it was named what it is b/c it's in development forever.

I believe the 1st projected release date was back in september 98.

As far as I know, if it does come out, it will hold the all time record for "game in development longest."

I agree that the duke3d (and Quake) for Saturn had some pretty damn impressive lighting effects, but the rest of the game was so reduced from the PC.

|MaguS|
05-11-07, 05:32 PM
one important often overlooked aspect is that no-one can do jingles like sega can they???

i mean when have you heard 'plaaaiyyystaaaiitioooonnn' or 'exxx-boxxx' when you boot?

that was part of the console experience :(

The Saturn did have those awsome commercials, hell commercials altogether back then were so much better. They actually took potshots at competitors.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XPTX41MhHnk

Thats when they really tried to advertise... the Dreamcast was such a failure because it lacked this.

..... heres sony laying the smack!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-PCJ1lWMaSA

NaitoSan
05-11-07, 05:35 PM
Powerslave on Saturn used same engine, Lobotomy 3D engine (or Slavedriver Engine but same engine). It looks a lot better than PC version which used early Build engine.

Build engine has been under a lot of changes in such short time so they couldn't actually call it Build 2, 3 or whatever.

Last game that used Build engine is WW2 GI I think but it's based on Duke Nukem 3D's Build engine. So BLOOD could be last game that actually used latest version of Build engine and damn good one.

This thread just made me want to go back and look at oldies again. :o

NaitoSan
05-11-07, 05:40 PM
ROFL, this isn't for Saturn but damn, I remember this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWyudlhwOxs

It looks so cool but it never works right.

russ_3d
05-11-07, 06:20 PM
awesome, magus

and silencerelite - can yuou imagine trying to do neo-geo combos on that monstrocity? hehehe crikes o.o

RAY16
05-11-07, 07:40 PM
Are you a fan of Chakan the Forever Man?

Yes.

Tygerwoody
05-11-07, 08:19 PM
bah, most underated "system" is the 32x add on for sega genesis(if you want to call it a system).

That thing was great. :D

nrdstrm
05-11-07, 09:48 PM
Personally, I thought the Dreamcast was the most under rated system...I loved that damn thing... :)

jAkUp
05-11-07, 09:57 PM
http://screwattack.com/Flash%20HTML/ANN/WiiSalute.html

:D

Bokishi
05-11-07, 11:10 PM
I had a saturn and its greatest game Panzer Dragoon Saga. I grew to hate the PSX for killing it :(

|MaguS|
05-11-07, 11:14 PM
What a fag... rolling rock... ****ing piss water.