PDA

View Full Version : 8800 GTX - SLI only with native 16 PCIe ???

WeisserWalFisch
05-11-07, 04:58 PM
Please advice - days ago i decided to upgrade my two 7900 GTX GPU - working in SLI configuration. Planned was to purchase a pair 8800 of GTX GPU - obviously for SLI configuration too. I surfed to www.overclockers.co.uk to see a footnote on the favourized eVGA 8800 GTX ACS3 KO Edition product description as follows "Also the cards require PCI-E x16 slots, they will not function in a x8 slot so for SLi you need dual x16 mainboard."

Does this mean that SLI will not work on my DFI LANParty UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert motherboard which provides Slots with x8 bandwith [8-N-4-8] when SLI mode setting is enabled in BIOS ??? [16-1-1-2] is the delievered bandwith in single GPU mode.

Is the GPU not downwards compatible ???

Do i have to discard my board for SLI with 8800 GTX ???

Thank you and Best Regards WeisserWalFisch

Redeemed
05-11-07, 07:47 PM
I have the same motherboard, and when I first installed my 8800GTX I put it in the second PCI-E slot because one of my hdds blocked me from using the main 16x PCI-E slot.

The card worked in the slower slot, but it ran like a steaming pile of ****. I'd imagine that SLI will work too, however it will be a complete waste of dual 8800GTXs if you use that board if my experience is any indication of what performance to expect.

I think the 8800GTXs simply need the 16x slot to reach their performance potential.

Hmm...

In my older rig I was using the EPoX 8NPA SLi which is s754. In SLi and single slot mode it only ran at PCI-e x8. I'm using two 640MB GTSs, but still- it worked. So... my guess would be it depends on the mobo. Right now I'm only using one GTS, and it is in the lower slot to improve cooling and airflow in my case. It runs flawlessly.

One thing to mention though, is if you are using Vista SLi support is almost non-existant. There were situations where one GTS performed faster than having both GTSs in. Go figure. :rolleyes:

I'd get both GTXs if I were you- and if it doesn't work, there are alternative mobos you could try. My mobo still seems to be widely available, while others are still available as well:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200022+1070907495+107191007+1071918920&name=NVIDIA+nForce4+SLI+X16

That eVGA board there is a very tempting buy. But it has been out of stock for quite some time. Anyhow, just try dual GTXs. If it doesn't run right, just run one for now as that'd still be faster than your two 7900GTXs, and get a new mobo when you can. ;)

WeisserWalFisch
05-11-07, 08:22 PM
Hmm...

In my older rig I was using the EPoX 8NPA SLi which is s754. In SLi and single slot mode it only ran at PCI-e x8. I'm using two 640MB GTSs, but still- it worked. So... my guess would be it depends on the mobo. Right now I'm only using one GTS, and it is in the lower slot to improve cooling and airflow in my case. It runs flawlessly.

One thing to mention though, is if you are using Vista SLi support is almost non-existant. There were situations where one GTS performed faster than having both GTSs in. Go figure. :rolleyes:

I'd get both GTXs if I were you- and if it doesn't work, there are alternative mobos you could try. My mobo still seems to be widely available, while others are still available as well:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200022+1070907495+107191007+1071918920&name=NVIDIA+nForce4+SLI+X16

That eVGA board there is a very tempting buy. But it has been out of stock for quite some time. Anyhow, just try dual GTXs. If it doesn't run right, just run one for now as that'd still be faster than your two 7900GTXs, and get a new mobo when you can. ;)

It seems that change of the motherboard is the way to go when performance upgrade is needed. I bet that 8800 GPU is outdated when i have to establish SLI finally.

Thanks WeisserWalFisch

WeisserWalFisch
05-11-07, 08:29 PM
I have the same motherboard, and when I first installed my 8800GTX I put it in the second PCI-E slot because one of my hdds blocked me from using the main 16x PCI-E slot.

The card worked in the slower slot, but it ran like a steaming pile of ****. I'd imagine that SLI will work too, however it will be a complete waste of dual 8800GTXs if you use that board if my experience is any indication of what performance to expect.

I think the 8800GTXs simply need the 16x slot to reach their performance potential.

I will try this solution and document the performance with a 3DMark benchmark and post the results at this topic. Maybe i am lucky this time.

Thanks WeisserWalFisch

WeisserWalFisch
05-12-07, 07:19 PM
Update - the estimated delievery date for planned eVGA 8800 GTX ACS3 KO GPU is uncertain now here in Germany. Is this GPU version limited in Europe ??? (ack)

Greetings WeisserWalFisch

walterman
05-12-07, 08:38 PM
Update - the estimated delievery date for planned eVGA 8800 GTX ACS3 KO GPU is uncertain now here in Germany. Is this GPU version limited in Europe ??? (ack)

Greetings WeisserWalFisch

und uber kostspielig :(

WeisserWalFisch
05-12-07, 09:44 PM
und uber kostspielig :(

This is sadly true - here you have to shell out 875 USD incl taxes
+ Shipping in average :mad: