PDA

View Full Version : Where's the thread where the software execs said consoles won't last much longer?

Pages : [1] 2

sillyeagle
05-11-07, 10:38 PM
I've been looking for that thread for 20mins. I don't suppose anybody knows how to locate it do they?

JigenD
05-11-07, 10:59 PM
It was John Romero that said that, if it helps you look it up.

jAkUp
05-11-07, 11:03 PM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89390

SwedX
05-12-07, 06:08 AM
I've been looking for that thread for 20mins. I don't suppose anybody knows how to locate it do they?

As you see it was me who started that nice little thread and the console boys just luuve it ;)

And here, it should make your day mate, they just stated the facts how the future gonna be :D

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=161496

Quote "The days of consoles are numbered", claim PC bosses
Thursday 5-Apr-2007 10:50 AM "There is one more generation of gaming consoles and that is it," claim industry leaders at Hewlett-Packard launch"

Madpistol
05-12-07, 09:33 AM
Well, when the underdog Nintendo sweeps the console war with a system that is less than 1/2 as powerful as their 2 competitors, you'd better know that the reign of consoles is about to end. ;)

SwedX
05-12-07, 12:11 PM
Absolutely thats what Mr Romero said, Nintendo is right on, cheap easy and not as the other pc wannabies. Nintendo makes consoles how it should be and leave the rest for the big daddy Pc :D

Saintster
05-12-07, 12:45 PM
well my xbox 360 just died it lasted about a year. I was checking out some possible ways to fix it and someone had said hook it up to the internet and download the latest dashboard update. I'm thinking to myself I just want something to play games with not a mini me computer. For now I'm in no rush nor do I have any desire to replace it. Both Microsoft and Sony really overextended themselves this time.

russ_3d
05-12-07, 06:21 PM
xbox's breaking all the time reeks of ripoff :mad:

Sazar
05-12-07, 06:33 PM
It would be AWESOME if they could develop a box (kinda the size of a smaller shuttle mini-atx chassis) that you could connect directly to your pc and help boost processing power and/or aid in rendering of graphics :cool:

A console that could just plug directly into a home pc network like that would be great. Something that could be standalone AND plugged into a regular system too. Wicked I say, totally wicked ;)

Maybe I'll start work on something like this once I procure the appropriate VC funds (a few billion to start should do it :cool: )

nekrosoft13
05-12-07, 06:35 PM
Well, when the underdog Nintendo sweeps the console war with a system that is less than 1/2 as powerful as their 2 competitors, you'd better know that the reign of consoles is about to end. ;)

i still can't find a wii, they just sell so fast,

JigenD
05-12-07, 08:13 PM

The reign of all gaming machines more than $300 more like...

Madpistol
05-12-07, 11:16 PM
The reign of all gaming machines more than $300 more like...

You are correct sir. It seems like the Wii is here to stay.

Sony ---> owned:

Microsoft --->:afraid: :afraid: :afraid: :afraid:

Nintendo --->:captnkill:

pkirby11
05-12-07, 11:39 PM
So I just want to jump in because I've been thinking of going back to console gaming and wanted to toss in my pennies worth of advice. Consoles will never go any were. When the kid down the street only needs $400 - $600 to buy a system that can play games almost as good as my $2,000 system I just don't see it happening.

Yeah you can argure the whole HD and Audio cost BS but what it ultimately comes down to is you can get away with a good console setup for $4,000 but if you want a good gaming rig your looking at $6,000 to $8,000. Lets not mention the constant upgrade dance for PC's also. I haven't had my Quad Core and 8800GTX for very long and already I'm wondering when it will be obsolete. At least once you buy a HDTV you're golden for several years, that new $400 consoles going to look great on it.

Console will always be around and will always be the dominate seller. It's just common sense. Until Intel, AMD, NVIDIA and ATI make the cost of good gaming PC with all the bells and whistle up cost under $700 consoles will be here to stay. Short of the whole resolution thing, for $400 I can buy an XBOX 360 and the FPS will be the same as every person who owns one. Plain and simple.

nrdstrm
05-13-07, 12:58 AM
So I just want to jump in because I've been thinking of going back to console gaming and wanted to toss in my pennies worth of advice. Consoles will never go any were. When the kid down the street only needs $400 - $600 to buy a system that can play games almost as good as my $2,000 system I just don't see it happening.

Yeah you can argure the whole HD and Audio cost BS but what it ultimately comes down to is you can get away with a good console setup for $4,000 but if you want a good gaming rig your looking at $6,000 to $8,000. Lets not mention the constant upgrade dance for PC's also. I haven't had my Quad Core and 8800GTX for very long and already I'm wondering when it will be obsolete. At least once you buy a HDTV you're golden for several years, that new $400 consoles going to look great on it.

Console will always be around and will always be the dominate seller. It's just common sense. Until Intel, AMD, NVIDIA and ATI make the cost of good gaming PC with all the bells and whistle up cost under $700 consoles will be here to stay. Short of the whole resolution thing, for $400 I can buy an XBOX 360 and the FPS will be the same as every person who owns one. Plain and simple.

$6000-8000?!?!? Where are you buying your computer/components? I'll try to avoid them in the future... :rolleyes:

pkirby11
05-13-07, 01:30 AM
$6000-8000?!?!? Where are you buying your computer/components? I'll try to avoid them in the future... :rolleyes:

Do you really want me to do this, $6,000 easy for the best computer gaming system out there, we are talking the best parts. $6,000 for the best or $600 for a PS3 or $450 for a Xbox 360 and maybe $1,500 for a good HDTV and another $600 for a good audio setup.

The $6,000 Newegg.com awesome gaming rig:

Blue-Ray Player (I want to watch HD movies like a PS3) - $499.99
CoolerMaster Stacker - $259.99
2 WD Raptor 150's - $409.98
2 EVGA 8800GTX Ultras - $1659.98
Creative X-Fi - $139.99
PCP&C 1KiloWatt - $519.99
Core 2 Quad Xtreme - $968.00
Windows Vista - $189.99
Striker Extreme and Memory - $518.99
30 WS HP Monitor - $1629.99

Total - $6796.89

Now this was all priced on Newegg.com and granted you don't need this extreme of a system, how ever every Xbox and PS3 has the same hardware and will play the games the same way as every system out there. I basically need to buy the above or damn close to get good performance out of most up and coming PC titles. Not to mention in 6 months to a year I'll need to buy a new video card and processor if I want to stay on top of the game. Also I didn't include a good WC setup for over clocking.

Look I'm not arguing that either is bad, PC gaming rules. I've been console gaming and PC gaming for 20 some odd years now. I build my own PC's and I'm just tired of trying to stay on top. The only way PC gaming will ever kill console gaming is for a $600 PC to play Crysis or what ever new great game at the time at full graphical settings and a high wide screen resolution at 60+ FPS. Until then, I don't see console going any were but if they do I'll not quit gaming I'll just jump on the PC gaming bandwagon again. Of course I won't let it die right now either, just not going to go insane on the hardware for a while. My bank account can't support it any more.

For $700 plus $470 for an Elite Xbox 360 I'll be enjoying alot of great games for the next several years to come. All the while my PC will be obsolete in 6 months. :D Sorry I just get tired of the whole "PC gaming is dead" crap and the whole "consoles suck debate". They have there advantages and weaknesses and are both great for gaming. PC's only crutch is the current hardware race, we shouldn't need to spen $1600 on video cards just to fully play Crysis with everything turned on.

P.S.
I spent almost $2,000 grand this winter just reupgrading my PC. How long until that is obsolete? Then what another $2,000 again, it's ludacris to expect someone to pay this much each time just to enjoy a game. I need the best because I want a nice WS picture and WS monitors run at high resolutions which means I need the best graphics card. Plain and simple.

Rakeesh
05-13-07, 01:58 AM

I think this statement is accurate. Namely, look at the direction consoles are headed. They've already added hard drives and DVD drives. They are starting to be used for purposes other than just games (MCE, supposed DVR functions of PS3, the PS3's web browser, DVD playback, etc.) They already depend on a service that you purchase for your PC for multiplayer. Now they are starting to even add keyboards and mice.

jAkUp
05-13-07, 02:02 AM
Do you really want me to do this, $6,000 easy for the best computer gaming system out there, we are talking the best parts. $6,000 for the best or $600 for a PS3 or $450 for a Xbox 360 and maybe $1,500 for a good HDTV and another $600 for a good audio setup.

The $6,000 Newegg.com awesome gaming rig:

Blue-Ray Player (I want to watch HD movies like a PS3) - $499.99
CoolerMaster Stacker - $259.99
2 WD Raptor 150's - $409.98
2 EVGA 8800GTX Ultras - $1659.98
Creative X-Fi - $139.99
PCP&C 1KiloWatt - $519.99
Core 2 Quad Xtreme - $968.00
Windows Vista - $189.99
Striker Extreme and Memory - $518.99
30 WS HP Monitor - $1629.99

Total - $6796.89

Now this was all priced on Newegg.com and granted you don't need this extreme of a system, how ever every Xbox and PS3 has the same hardware and will play the games the same way as every system out there. I basically need to buy the above or damn close to get good performance out of most up and coming PC titles. Not to mention in 6 months to a year I'll need to buy a new video card and processor if I want to stay on top of the game. Also I didn't include a good WC setup for over clocking.

Look I'm not arguing that either is bad, PC gaming rules. I've been console gaming and PC gaming for 20 some odd years now. I build my own PC's and I'm just tired of trying to stay on top. The only way PC gaming will ever kill console gaming is for a $600 PC to play Crysis or what ever new great game at the time at full graphical settings and a high wide screen resolution at 60+ FPS. Until then, I don't see console going any were but if they do I'll not quit gaming I'll just jump on the PC gaming bandwagon again. Of course I won't let it die right now either, just not going to go insane on the hardware for a while. My bank account can't support it any more.

For $700 plus $470 for an Elite Xbox 360 I'll be enjoying alot of great games for the next several years to come. All the while my PC will be obsolete in 6 months. :D Sorry I just get tired of the whole "PC gaming is dead" crap and the whole "consoles suck debate". They have there advantages and weaknesses and are both great for gaming. PC's only crutch is the current hardware race, we shouldn't need to spen $1600 on video cards just to fully play Crysis with everything turned on.

P.S.
I spent almost $2,000 grand this winter just reupgrading my PC. How long until that is obsolete? Then what another $2,000 again, it's ludacris to expect someone to pay this much each time just to enjoy a game. I need the best because I want a nice WS picture and WS monitors run at high resolutions which means I need the best graphics card. Plain and simple.

PC's can last just as long as consoles, only difference is we want to crank the visuals up.

Crysis will run fine on a 6800GT, that card is a few years old. Obviously you will need to turn the visuals down, but it will run.

PC's do not become "obsolete" within 6 months, the only reason that you think PC's become obsolete within 6 months is because you will not be able to run the highest detail possible.

pkirby11
05-13-07, 02:02 AM
I think this statement is accurate. Namely, look at the direction consoles are headed. They've already added hard drives and DVD drives. They are starting to be used for purposes other than just games (MCE, supposed DVR functions of PS3, the PS3's web browser, DVD playback, etc.) Now they are starting to even add keyboards and mice.

That doesn't mean consoles won't exsist, just that they will do more than just game. They will still be cheaper than a good gaming PC. Look this whole thread's stupid. Console = Gone never gonna happen, PC = Dead for games never is gonna happen. Why do people have these arguements. Console might become more like media center PC's but they'll never be full fledged PCs and they will still be consoles. Same for PC's, console will never replace them but they also are going to be twice as expensive to play games on. :D

Madpistol
05-13-07, 02:03 AM
ok... 5 months ago I spent about $2200 on a new rig (see the sig)...

And that is by far better than anything the Xbox360/PS3 has to offer. It is undoubtedly faster at gaming and it's a computer on top of that

Hell, you could throw $6000 into a new computer... but why??? Why do that when the technology will be $3000 a few months later??? That's just ludicrous. The sweet spot is between $1500-2000 on DIY computers. Almost everything beyond that is heavily inflated.

Now what's the good point about PC's??? $2000-$2500 buys you a PC that is more powerful than a current console, and while that console has to last for 4-5 years, your PC can be upgraded endlessly. Besides, PC's are so much more productive than consoles. You don't just pick up a controller and shoot your brains out until you croak. PC's help you with writing papers, surfing the internet, printing documents, paying bills, taking classes online, looking at pictures, listening to music, watching movies, editing movies, creating your own movies, etc. etc. etc....

There is no other device available that can double as your stereo deck, gaming system, photo album, and home theater console all in one box. PC's ARE the ultimate platform, and you get what you pay for (if you know where to look)

pkirby11
05-13-07, 02:05 AM
PC's can last just as long as consoles, only difference is we want to crank the visuals up.

Crysis will run fine on a 6800GT, that card is a few years old. Obviously you will need to turn the visuals down, but it will run.

I can't say because I haven't seen it but I highly doubt except for 800 x 600 that Crysis will play or look nearly as good as a PS3 version will. Yet for $600 I can get a PS3 but for $6,000 I can get a PC. That's all I'm saying, if you want a PC look as good or better than a next gen console you have to pay more, nothing wrong with that but it's true.

In fact anyone out there care to comment on how well new games play on your 6800GT? CoH, Vangaurd any of these? I bet that they probably run but what settings are you playing them at? I bet it looks like crap. :D

jAkUp
05-13-07, 02:10 AM
I can't say because I haven't seen it but I highly doubt except for 800 x 600 that Crysis will play or look nearly as good as a PS3 version will. Yet for $600 I can get a PS3 but for $6,000 I can get a PC. That's all I'm saying, if you want a PC look as good or better than a next gen console you have to pay more, nothing wrong with that but it's true.

In fact anyone out there care to comment on how well new games play on your 6800GT? CoH, Vangaurd any of these? I bet that they probably run but what settings are you playing them at? I bet it looks like crap. :D

800x600 isn't that much lower than 1280x720... which is what most consoles games run at.

With PC Gaming we are tempted with newer, faster, better tech. On consoles, we are stuck with what we have. No temptations, nothing faster to spend money on, nothing better... so, yes it is cheaper.

Also, yes a console is cheaper than a similarly equipped PC, but a PC is a better experience IMO, so, likewise it is more expensive.

The console has its strengths, but none are on the technical level IMO.

pkirby11
05-13-07, 02:12 AM
ok... 5 months ago I spent about $2200 on a new rig (see the sig)...

And that is by far better than anything the Xbox360/PS3 has to offer. It is undoubtibly faster at gaming and it's a computer on top of that

Hell, you could throw $6000 into a new computer... but why??? Why do that when the technology will be $3000 a few months later??? That's just ludicrous. The sweet spot is between $1500-2000 on DIY computers. Almost everything beyond that is heavily inflated.

Ahh, but see in your sig you have a 19 In. CRT. I just bought a 30 In WS and believe me it would put your $2,000 rig in the $3,500 range. Not to mention that 30 In WS native resolution would run pretty poor on your setup with everything cranked. Any ways, I'll let you PC fanboys go, I have nothing wrong with PC's I just think it's pathetic that I buy $500 video card and it will soon be obsolete. But again, my point for posting any of this is not to bash PC's, I love them they are my career and my hobby. I just think to say Consoles are dead or will be soon is stupid. But I have enough worries in life than trying to convince people of something so trivial.

As long as there is a game to be played and I don't have to fork over a lung and kidney than great. But I'm done with spending the big bucks, so if Crysis, AOC, Alan Wake and god knows what else doesn't work good and I have to spend another $2,000 grand in 6 months to get it to run good on my monitor I won't play it. It's pathetic, I should be saving the money and buying a house or something. :D

jAkUp
05-13-07, 02:15 AM
Ahh, but see in your sig you have a 19 In. CRT. I just bought a 30 In WS and believe me it would put your $2,000 rig in the $3,500 range. Not to mention that 30 In WS native resolution would run pretty poor on your setup with everything cranked. Any ways, I'll let you PC fanboys go, I have nothing wrong with PC's I just think it's pathetic that I buy $500 video card and it will soon be obsolete.

And what do you think would happen to a PS3 or XB360 if you tried to run at 2560x1600? I wouldn't say an XB360 is similar if you are unable to even run a resolution that high on a console.

If you are so concerned about performance, get a 1080p display for your PC. That will still look better than a console, and run much faster.

Many people want to claim consoles are the the better of the two systems with image quality and performance, but yet they forget they are trying to run a much higher resolution on a PC, higher AA/AF, etc. On a console we don't have these options, so nothing to complain about. We are stuck with what is there.

pkirby11
05-13-07, 02:16 AM
800x600 isn't that much lower than 1280x720... which is what most consoles games run at.

With PC Gaming we are tempted with newer, faster, better tech. On consoles, we are stuck with what we have. No temptations, nothing faster to spend money on, nothing better... so, yes it is cheaper.

Also, yes a console is cheaper than a similarly equipped PC, but a PC is a better experience IMO, so, likewise it is more expensive.

The console has its strengths, but none are on the technical level IMO.

I agree, never once argued that. Just that because the PC can look good I want it to run at it's best. Meaning 1900x1200 or what ever resolution with 16x AF 8x AA on. See while a console can't compare visually (never siad they could in the first place) they always will run a game for the most part at the highest quality capable of that system. Not so true with a PC.

I won't give up on upgrading the old PC. I love her to much! :D Just don't think I'm going to donate my kidneys, aint you all out by the way jAkUp? :D

pkirby11
05-13-07, 02:19 AM
And what do you think would happen to a PS3 or XB360 if you tried to run at 2560x1600? I wouldn't say an XB360 is similar if you are unable to even run a resolution that high on a console.

If you are so concerned about performance, get a 1080p display for your PC. That will still look better than a console, and run much faster.

Again, it is a 1080P so I can play my consoles and PC together. Again, I'll just leave it be. I'm not making fun of PC's. I love them, why would I crap on them? I just wish people wouldn't crap on consoles all the time. They have there advantages and benefits and they shouldn't and won't go any ware. I'm going to bed. :D