PDA

View Full Version : The $750 MSI 8800 Ultra Factory Overclocked!

Pages : [1] 2

heatlesssun
05-12-07, 02:49 PM
Just picked one up to give the sig rig a little more juice till Barcelona & Penryn come out.

Bad idea? I've got till Monday to cancel.:afro:

DMx
05-12-07, 03:12 PM
What clocks?

heatlesssun
05-12-07, 03:35 PM
660 core/2300 memory. The specs list the shader clock at the stock 1500, which seems a little odd, as I read this:http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2979

They seem to imply that the shader clock is tied to the core somehow which imply that the shader clock should be higher on this thing.

CainSyris
05-13-07, 01:42 AM
This whole shader clock deal is annoying because it allows them to sneak lower performance in behind higher clocks of other pieces of the puzzle that don't matter as much.

I'm waiting for eVGA's overclocked card. Certainly, their card is the only one with shader clocks that even approach Ultras and that was before the Ultra launched.

Hopefully, we'll get a suitably overclocked (and shaders, too,) soon from eVGA to make the Ultra really worth the money.

$n][pErMan
05-13-07, 01:59 AM
Your probably going to be CPU limited. If you are just trying to "hold over" I would get a GTX which is a beast anyway and $250 cheaper. Last I checked too the Ultra did not really give that much more bang for the buck (as a matter of fact from what I saw it was almost trivial). But hey.. if you got the money to burn go for it. The GTX rocks so I am willing to bet the Ultra does as well ;)

agentkay
05-13-07, 02:07 AM
BTW does the shader clock automatically increase when you overclock the core on a GTX or is it a fully seperate clock that needs to be adjusted with a BIOS flash?

heatlesssun
05-13-07, 02:22 AM
BTW does the shader clock automatically increase when you overclock the core on a GTX or is it a fully seperate clock that needs to be adjusted with a BIOS flash?

I'm asking the same question. The link I provided earlier to the Anandtech stated that GTX shader clocks increased with the core clock using nTune. What wasn't clear in the article is why this occurred. Is it nTune doing something behind the scene or is it in the hardware?

This link says that anytime you increase core clocks, you increase the shader clocks as well: http://www.i4u.com/article8818.html

HeavyH20
05-13-07, 02:47 AM
The clocks are married on the stock card and the OC card. But, on many factory OC cards, the clocks are adjusted. So, a factory clock on the core of 660 does not mean they increased the shader at all. It is a pretty common practice. So, getting 660 on a stock GTX card may get you better performance than the Ultra at 660 since the shader is boosted, as well.

Dazz
05-13-07, 06:05 AM
660MHz clock speed = 1620MHz shader clock speed

heatlesssun
05-13-07, 10:21 AM
The clocks are married on the stock card and the OC card. But, on many factory OC cards, the clocks are adjusted. So, a factory clock on the core of 660 does not mean they increased the shader at all. It is a pretty common practice. So, getting 660 on a stock GTX card may get you better performance than the Ultra at 660 since the shader is boosted, as well.

Any links on this?

heatlesssun
05-13-07, 10:23 AM
[pErMan']Your probably going to be CPU limited. If you are just trying to "hold over" I would get a GTX which is a beast anyway and $250 cheaper. Last I checked too the Ultra did not really give that much more bang for the buck (as a matter of fact from what I saw it was almost trivial). But hey.. if you got the money to burn go for it. The GTX rocks so I am willing to bet the Ultra does as well ;)

I'm going to get a 1920x1200 24" Gateway LCD, so that will take care of most of the CPU bottlenecking in most cases.

agentkay
05-13-07, 11:26 AM
I can check the shader clock with Rivatuner, right?

Slammin
05-15-07, 07:24 AM
I'm going to get a 1920x1200 24" Gateway LCD, so that will take care of most of the CPU bottlenecking in most cases.

You can never have too much GPU horsepower IMHO. 1920x1200 with everthing maxed, plus a desire for 60-80+ min fps makes me say that. I even get fps increase in some games when I overclock my GTS's and I'm running Sli!

FastRedPonyCar
09-30-07, 08:43 PM
The MSI 8800 ultra OC is $600 at newegg now. Cheaper actually than the EVGA 8800 GTX oc. I ordered the MSI Ultra this afternoon. :afro:

Xion X2
09-30-07, 08:55 PM
That's the one I have. Shaders are at 1512 stock. But you can adjust them with RivaTuner 2.05v.

FastRedPonyCar
10-01-07, 07:24 AM
cool. have you run into any heating issues? I've heard these things run really hot. I've got good cooling in my case but I was wondering if it would be advisable as I've read at other sources to use riva tuner to max the fan speed all the time?

Oh one last question, I've got some AS5. Would it benefit me any to pull the Heat sink, clean the gpu and ram and apply AS5? I'm not really planning on oc'ing the card any so I can see it not being necessary.

Oh any estimate on what sort of 3dmark06 scores I should expect? (see sig)

SOAD
10-01-07, 08:13 AM
cool. have you run into any heating issues? I've heard these things run really hot. I've got good cooling in my case but I was wondering if it would be advisable as I've read at other sources to use riva tuner to max the fan speed all the time?

Oh one last question, I've got some AS5. Would it benefit me any to pull the Heat sink, clean the gpu and ram and apply AS5? I'm not really planning on oc'ing the card any so I can see it not being necessary.

Oh any estimate on what sort of 3dmark06 scores I should expect? (see sig)

I most definitly would NOT apply AS5 unless you have severe overheating issues. For one the ram will NOT touch the heatsink if you apply AS5 and you might void your warrenty like BFG cards.

Sod knows the score. Its gonna be high though :D With my sig in rig I am clocking over 13,000 :cool:

Your going to get higher. I would try for a higher CPU overclock though to totally elimante the bottleneck.

tbh though I would return the card (refuse shipping), sell your processor, get a quad core and GTX. will run faster and for longer than the Ultra.

Still. Looks sweet and the best of luck to you ^^

FastRedPonyCar
10-02-07, 10:22 AM
Eh, I don't have a need yet for a faster cpu. I gather from the reviews and benchmarks that that would be my bottle neck now but my motherboard I have I don't think would be able to fully utilize anything faster anyways. It's only 650i and only supports up to 800fsb ram.

Right now my ram isn't even running at full speed because of this. Eventually, I'll upgrade to quad core and a new mobo that can handle more than 800mhz ram. Till then, I'll just take what I can get.

GitDat
10-07-07, 07:49 AM
Is this card the same length as an EVGA 8800 GTX? I "think" it's 10.5".

spajdr
10-07-07, 08:45 AM
Is this card the same length as an EVGA 8800 GTX? I "think" it's 10.5".

same length, just cooler is little longer, but its not overlapping size of card.

CaptNKILL
10-07-07, 09:36 AM
660 core? Is that all?

Damn, thats barely faster than my GTX when I overclock it a little.

GitDat
10-07-07, 10:55 AM
660 core? Is that all?

Damn, thats barely faster than my GTX when I overclock it a little.

I wonder if they can push it a little higher though. Mine craps out around 640 :(

GitDat
10-07-07, 11:19 AM
So does pushing the shader clock higher with RivaTuner stress these cards a lot more? I wonder why MSI kept the shader clocks at stock levels :confused:

UberRN69
10-07-07, 11:23 AM
This close to NVIDIA's next new thing, I'd hold off. Becuase you know the whatever their next top of the line $500-$600 card is going to be is going to beat the $750 Ultra.

Of course there's the argument "that there's always something newer around the corner so why hold off", but the next round is due in 2'ish months, it's so close I would wait.

EDIT: I just realized that the original post was back in May, my bad.

GitDat
10-07-07, 11:26 AM
This close to NVIDIA's next new thing, I'd hold off. Becuase you know the whatever their next top of the line $500-$600 card is going to be is going to beat the $750 Ultra.

Of course there's the argument "that there's always something newer around the corner so why hold off", but the next round is due in 2'ish months, it's so close I would wait.

I don't think the next high-end card is coming out until Feb 2008. I heard it was basically some form of GTS coming out in November. This card is only $594.99 btw :D $564.99 after mail-in rebate, hehe.

Edit: Just bought one (nana2) Going to sell my old one off for $499. Cheap upgrade :clap: