PDA

View Full Version : 8800GTX only uses one power connector?

darkrider01
05-12-07, 03:46 PM
I purchased a Thermaltake Power Express PSU to power my XFX 8800GTX.

The Power Express has 3 LED's on the front. One is a Red LED to indicate power is being supplied to the PSU. The other 2 LED's are green and indicate that power is being supplied to each PCIE connectors. There is a 12V1 and a 12V2. I connected both of the PCIE leads to my 8800GTX.

After connecting everything up and starting up my computer, I noticed only the power and the 12V2 PCIE LED was lit. I turned everything off and reconnected everything again. Started up, same thing. I switched the 2 PCIE connectors, now 12V1 was on, and 12V2 LED was off. So I disconnected the 12V2 PCIE connector and started up....everything ran fine.

At each step, I ran rthdribl fullscreen to see if the other conector was pulling any power. I figure that fullscreen 3d should force the card to pull power from both connectors, but I guess not.

Anyone have an explanation as to why the card has 2 connectors if only one is being used? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

MicroZ28
05-12-07, 07:53 PM
Mine only starts using both power connectors when I launch a game.Then both LED's light up only when it draws alot of power or is needed.

darkrider01
05-12-07, 10:59 PM
I ran S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for an hour...never saw the second LED light up. I'm baffled. Maybe someone will shed some light on this on Monday :D

buffbiff21
05-12-07, 11:33 PM
The card draws power from the rightmost 6pin connector primarily.

If it needs more power then it takes it from the second.

I think I read this from one of jakup's posts somewhere around here.

Amuro
05-13-07, 12:27 AM
The card draws power from the rightmost 6pin connector primarily.

If it needs more power then it takes it from the second.

I think I read this from one of jakup's posts somewhere around here.
Yes, that is true. If you do not connect the rightmost connector, you will hear a high pitch shrill reminder from the card's built-in speaker when you turn on the computer. Happened to me once. And I once didn't have the left connector on one of my cards fully plugged in and got a message saying the video card didn't get enough power and therefore would be run at reduced clockspeed, somethign like that.