PDA

View Full Version : Installed Thermalright HR-03

d00mskull
05-12-07, 05:57 PM
Well, I decided to do it myself...

Luckily I didn't ruin my card even though I manhandled it a bit.

I didn't know how exactly to apply the thermal paste so I just smeared a thin layer on all of the heatsinks that came with it and put them on there. I put the video card back in my computer even though the heatsinks are very slippery. Will they dry overnight?

nekrosoft13
05-12-07, 06:03 PM
dude, you not supposed to put thermal grease on the ramsinks, those have special paste already applied that will stick to memory

DRen72
05-12-07, 06:14 PM
:wtf: :POKE:

(popcorn)

nekrosoft13
05-12-07, 06:16 PM
:wtf: :POKE:

(popcorn)

its gonna be a good show, once those ramsinks start to fall off

DMx
05-12-07, 06:22 PM
Well, I decided to do it myself...

Luckily I didn't ruin my card even though I manhandled it a bit.

I didn't know how exactly to apply the thermal paste so I just smeared a thin layer on all of the heatsinks that came with it and put them on there. I put the video card back in my computer even though the heatsinks are very slippery. Will they dry overnight?

Oh, don't tell me you were conscious about ESD damage...

As soon as you touch your case to take the card out, you have discharged any ESD on yourself. As long as you aren't in contact with any man-made materials like polyester socks and vinyl carpet your PC will be fine.

Thermal paste should only be added the core, the RAM already has small thermal pads that cover the distance between the heatsink and the RAM.

agentkay
05-12-07, 06:22 PM
http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_support_installation_hr03-plus.htm

You need to clean the surface of the ram and GPU core but only apply a little bit of thermal paste on the HSI chip (the tiny one at the "exhaust" side of the card) and of course on the GPU core.

The ramsinks come with special double-sided sticky tape which you use to attach them on the ram chips but just like nekro said, do NOT use any paste there because they wont stick. They also wont stick if you didt clean the surface of the ram properly. After I heated up the card, I pulled it out again and pressed on the still warm ramsinks for a few minutes. Im confident that they wont fall off now.

DRen72
05-12-07, 06:24 PM
When I installed mine I noticed the RAM sinks where a little loose feeling, but so far none have fallen off. Works for me.

agentkay
05-12-07, 06:31 PM
When I installed mine I noticed the RAM sinks where a little loose feeling, but so far none have fallen off. Works for me.

They were a little loose at first but once I heated them up and pressed on them, they were not loose anymore. Seems like the heat cycle made them stick better. I think the best solution would be to use this thermal glue from Arctic Silver, which comes in two version (normal and strong) but thats too much work for me.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_thermal_adhesive.htm

This is scary:

CAUTION!
Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive is a permanent adhesive.
Components you attach with Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive will stay attached forever.

:rofl

d00mskull
05-12-07, 06:48 PM
So what should I do?

agentkay
05-12-07, 07:00 PM
Take the card out, remove the ramsinks, clean the chips surface, clean the ramsinks from the thermal paste and see if they still stick. Incase they dont email thermalright to send you that thermal sticky tape for the ram sinks, or order the thermal glue. You can temporarly use regular double sided sticky tape (its usually very thin) but of course its not the best solution but from my experience still better than leaving the chips bare without any passive cooling.

d00mskull
05-12-07, 07:02 PM
Yeah I just checked the cooler and its extremely nuclear hot. Is that normal? O_o

agentkay
05-12-07, 07:08 PM
Which cooler? The big one or the tiny ram/HSI sink? The big one gets hot especially under load (and espeically the heatpipes) but thats good because it shows that it properly works. Ram, HSI and voltage regulators are warm at idle but nothing serious but this does change once they get under load. They were hot but never that hot that it hurt my finger so Im pretty sure it was below 50C

d00mskull
05-12-07, 07:09 PM
Which cooler? The big one or the tiny ram/HSI sink? The big one gets hot especially under load (and espeically the heatpipes) but thats good because it shows that it properly works. Ram, HSI and voltage regulators are warm at idle but nothing serious but this does change once they get under load. They were hot but never that hot that it hurt my finger so Im pretty sure it was below 50C

I mean the cooler itself. I'm in nTune right now and the GPU temp is at 68C. Luckily its dropping since it was at 69C a few minutes ago.

agentkay
05-12-07, 07:12 PM
I mean the cooler itself. I'm in nTune right now and the GPU temp is at 68C. Luckily its dropping since it was at 69C a few minutes ago.

Whats your room temperature? At 24C room temperature, my card idled at 48C and was at 59C at full load on stock clocks (575/900), full load temperature at 665/1040 was 68C.

d00mskull
05-12-07, 07:14 PM
I'm at 25C room temp.

BTW...

(nana2)

^^^^ matches Uffie - Pop the Glock

agentkay
05-12-07, 07:22 PM
The 68C are still way too high for slightly higher room temperature especially if this temperature was at stock clocks or even at idle (not full load). This indicates either a poor fan or the thermal paste wasnt properly applied (too thick). At 25C room temperature and stock clocks the idle temp should be around 50C and full load maybe 60C.

d00mskull
05-12-07, 07:23 PM
The 68C are still way too high for slightly higher room temperature especially if this temperature was at stock clocks or even at idle (not full load). This indicates either a poor fan or the thermal paste wasnt properly applied (too thick). At 25C room temperature and stock clocks the idle temp should be around 50C and full load maybe 60C.

I'm at 60C idle right now, and it should be going down.

EDIT: Now it's at 62 UGH

john19055
05-12-07, 07:56 PM
60c at idle is to hot IMO since that is why you bought the cooler so the card will run cooler ,i would take it back apart and make sure you have the thermal compond on the chip evenly ,and it is not good to put thermal paste on the ram sink ,because most paste conduct eletricity but not all ,and if it is the one that conducts eletricity ,just a small amount getting on the eletrical conection could short out your card ,or cause artifacting .

ATOJAR
05-13-07, 01:06 AM
I have the Thermalright HR-03 Plus on my GTS! did you not read the instructions when installing or at least look into it a little? as said your NOT supposed to put thermal grease on the ram chips, I applied AS5 to the HSI chip and also to the GPU chip itself! ... that ram heastinks have sticky pads on the bottom so they stick to the memory! .... 60c idle is way to warm for a card with the Thermalright HR-03 Plus on, my card idles at 48c and has never rose past 60c load yet even with my overclocks!