PDA

View Full Version : Question about games in a XP/Vista dual boot system

Amuro
05-13-07, 12:36 AM
I've been running a XP/Vista Ultimate dual boot for months, but have never played any game under Vsita yet. And my question is, if I want the same game to be playable on both XP and Vista, do I need to install the game twice, once in XP and once in Vista, or can I just install the game under XP and run the .exe in Vsita? If the game does not access the registry that is.

Subtestube
05-13-07, 01:11 AM
As an extra to this question - is it possible to just install the same app twice (once from each OS) in the same place, and have it work in both OSs?

$n][pErMan
05-13-07, 02:51 AM
You will have to install in both OS's for it to work. I am not sure if it will work if you install in the same place or not. I guess that would depend on the game and the files that are written.

stncttr908
05-13-07, 03:04 AM
I think it depends. Does the game write registry entries? Does it simply read from config files? These things will probably determine whether or not this is possible.

I think you might want to ask slaWter, I believe he mentioned this being possible with many of his games.

MowTin
05-13-07, 03:30 AM
Some games will work if you just create a shortcut to the game exe. Some games have registry keys (for example direct to drive games).

I think you could often get away with just installing it to the same location on the different OS.

Or you can copy/edit registry keys.

Amuro
05-13-07, 05:57 AM
Great! Thanks for answering the questions!