PDA

View Full Version : Removing the plate?

gulizard
05-13-07, 03:44 PM
I was looking and noticed my 6 Series card running a tad hot. I removed the plate cleaned the dust because its an older card I felt more confident. However after thinking about it for a bit. I decided i'd look into possibly doing the same thing for my 8800 GTS. I wondered if removing the plate is done in the same basic manner. Perhaps someone could show me what the cards look like without the "plastic" covering on.

kevJ420
05-13-07, 04:27 PM
I was looking and noticed my 6 Series card running a tad hot. I removed the plate cleaned the dust because its an older card I felt more confident. However after thinking about it for a bit. I decided i'd look into possibly doing the same thing for my 8800 GTS. I wondered if removing the plate is done in the same basic manner. Perhaps someone could show me what the cards look like without the "plastic" covering on.

I regret that I can't answer the question, but some advice would be to use AS5 when you put it back on.

That will drop temps several deg. C.

However, I'm sure someone else might know.

DMx
05-13-07, 04:47 PM
In order to take the cooler off and put it back on efficiently, here is a little step by step guide:

1: Remove the card from the case and remember to touch the side of the case before touching the card (to be on the safe side from ESD damage)
2: Remove all the screws on the underside of the card a evenly (e.g. do not remove all of one sides screws in one go).
3: Use some thermal material remover I use ArctiClean Thermal Material Remover and Surface Purifier - 60ml Kit (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=TH-000-AC&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=27), works a charm, just apply a few drops of the first bottle and use some tissues/cotton buds to clean away the thermal materials, then use the 2nd bottle once all the thermal materials are removed
4: Do what you need to the card (clean fan, etc)
5: Apply new thermal paste, I use Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5g (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=AC-000-AC&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=27), just apply a small size blob (depending on the size of the cooler/cpu/gpu)
6: Line up cooler with graphics card but dont put on until it is correctly aligned otherwise you will get thermal materials everywhere.
7: Screw in each screw a few turns each time, don't screw one in all the way until all of them are slightly in
8: Enjoy your job well done!

CaptNKILL
05-13-07, 04:50 PM
I think he's just talking about the cover on the heatsink.

On the 6800s you could just take the top "plate" off of the heatsink to expose the fins and the fan. This made it really easy to pick out any clumps of dust that would be difficult to get out with compressed air.

I'm not sure if the 8 series heat sinks can be opened that way or not though.

Joe Public
05-13-07, 05:13 PM
Been thinking the same thing. It was easy to clean my previous cards (GF6800GT, Radeon 9800, GF3, GF DDR and so on), haven't looked at my 8800GTS yet and how to get inside the HS.

jAkUp
05-13-07, 05:39 PM
Yes they can be opened in the same way.

gulizard
05-14-07, 05:58 PM
Alright I wasn't sure, and yeah just the plate. My card runs 49c, however its gotten dusty, and has been running right around 55c idle. So I was going to clean it soon.