PDA

View Full Version : Xbox live potential

sytaylor
05-13-07, 06:59 PM
Is it just me or is the media section of Xbox live shoddy? Gamespot and IGN far out rank Xbox Live in terms of content even without a subscription. Where are the options for streaming content? Reviews of every xbox game released? Even if its by a puppet microsoft dude.

Think of what they could offer.

Downloadable music, films, tv shows. It struck me watching heroes on my TV via HDMI that I'd much rather download it to my 360 and I'd part with a few points to do so. Sure there are legalities involved, but if windowsmedia.com has more content than Xbox Live, it strikes me that someone at Microsoft is missing a HUGE market gap. I know they want their media center software to be the entertainment hub, but the 360 is perfectly placed. I think they should take the hit on media center and really release the potential. Same goes for Nintendo and Sony if they could deliver it right.

Anyone know a guy at Microsoft I can sell this idea to for millions? :D

GamerGuyX
05-13-07, 07:19 PM
Films and TV shows are already downloadable on US Xbox Live accounts.

Peoples-Agent
05-13-07, 08:23 PM
Sy , the reason is .... we get shafted in the UK, seriously.

If you ever see the US Marketplace, they get tons more content than we do. So many copyright gripes and red tape all over the place, it's really being held back. :(

Lyme
05-13-07, 08:36 PM
The marketplace stuff is supposed to come into the UK by the end of the year.. now I wish I knew the timetable for Canada.

crainger
05-13-07, 10:13 PM
Well I'll be waiting another 2 years then :(

All we have is the HD Episode of South Park, that everyone got as a freebie. Ah well I guess it's better than nothing. :)

sytaylor
05-13-07, 10:29 PM

If you ever see the US Marketplace, they get tons more content than we do. So many copyright gripes and red tape all over the place, it's really being held back. :(

Aha, so I'm misinformed. Funky. So long as they've got their legal beavers... beavering.

superklye
05-13-07, 11:07 PM
What's the freebie HD SP episode? I started looking through the Market Place but I got annoyed.

GamerGuyX
05-13-07, 11:45 PM
What's the freebie HD SP episode? I started looking through the Market Place but I got annoyed.

Are you serious!? You didn't download it?

http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=14562

Everybody was talking about it like two months ago.

Camp0rz
05-14-07, 12:04 AM
Can't you non-US people just sign up with US accounts? I made a fake UK one to play the R6 demo.

crainger
05-14-07, 01:16 AM
Can't you non-US people just sign up with US accounts? I made a fake UK one to play the R6 demo.

What if Teh Microsoft finds out! They'll seize my 360 and probably my Vistas too!

Seriously though. That works? I thought they would determine locale the same way websites do. Like when I tried to watch Heroes online.

Peoples-Agent
05-14-07, 05:41 AM
Some people have done that to get the Borat gamerpics and such, but generally you can't can't spend UK MS Points on an American gamertag, your have to buy some off eBay or something.

KasuCode
05-14-07, 06:05 AM
I thought the last patch or maybe its the next one prevents from making an account in another country or something.

ViN86
05-14-07, 08:00 AM

US FTW
:headbang:

you guys should move here. id love to have you here :D

Peoples-Agent
05-14-07, 10:55 AM
US FTW
:headbang:

you guys should move here. id love to have you here :D

If I had the funds, and didn't have family that needed me around ....I would have done already.

Infact, I nearly moved to Miami years ago on a work programme but I let a blasted woman get in the way spoiling it.

The clock is ticking though, if it's ever gonna happen, will have to be while i've still got my young good looks and teeth intact. LOL

superklye
05-14-07, 11:41 AM
Are you serious!? You didn't download it?

http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=14562

Everybody was talking about it like two months ago.
I've only had my 360 for like 9 days. :o And before that, I'd just as soon rather not use my roommate's unless I absolutely had to.

ViN86
05-14-07, 12:28 PM
If I had the funds, and didn't have family that needed me around ....I would have done already.

Infact, I nearly moved to Miami years ago on a work programme but I let a blasted woman get in the way spoiling it.

The clock is ticking though, if it's ever gonna happen, will have to be while i've still got my young good looks and teeth intact. LOL
LIES

everyone knows British ppl have terrible teeth :D

jk :p

ajay()
05-14-07, 12:34 PM
I'm hoping we don't get the fully enabled Marketplace here in the UK before I can afford the 120g HDD :)

Peoples-Agent
05-14-07, 01:09 PM
I'm hoping we don't get the fully enabled Marketplace here in the UK before I can afford the 120g HDD :)

Don't worry, it will never happen.

Well, unless your willing to change your ISP to BT and sign up for something else to pay for ontop... to make use of the IPTV stuff.

Added to that , your be getting out of date TV episodes that were aired months before in the US.

You want upto date content such as TV shows, better off getting yourself a usenet account and nabbing x264 releases in .mkv, converting to WMV-HD.

Not sure the legality of that, not sure who's copyright your actually infringing if alot of the shows haven't even began showing in the UK full stop yet.

If it's the BBC, they can kiss my ass.... having to pay for a "TV License" when I never even watch the BBC, it sucks.

sytaylor
05-14-07, 01:12 PM
You want upto date content such as TV shows, better off getting yourself a usenet account and nabbing x264 releases in .mkv, converting to WMV-HD.

Yeah theres software to do that, but in the end I just got an HDMI cable, cuts out the 360 all together.

ViN86
05-14-07, 01:43 PM
IIRC, cant you just change your location to the US and it will show all the content? or did they fix/change that?

backfiggen
05-14-07, 03:45 PM
IIRC, cant you just change your location to the US and it will show all the content? or did they fix/change that?

They changed it with the spring update. And this sucks.

Peoples-Agent
05-14-07, 04:02 PM
Yeah theres software to do that, but in the end I just got an HDMI cable, cuts out the 360 all together.

I got a standalone DVD upscaler that pays high bitrate xvids so its worth the converting.

What im really waiting for is the Kiss DP-700 that will have native h264 support, 1080p mpeg2 support etc

Hoping it don't take too long, the DP-600 and 1600 looks cool but think it's worth the wait.

ViN86
05-15-07, 11:10 AM
They changed it with the spring update. And this sucks.
wow. ghey.