PDA

View Full Version : Does technical quality or art style matter more to you?

kevJ420
05-13-07, 09:18 PM
Anyways, I've always thought it was weird how only "graphics" was rated by critics.

Does anyone think they should break it into 2 categories (graphics-technical and graphics-art)?

Anyways, I've always been more interested in the technical quality of the graphics rather than the artistic ideas/quality.

Obviously, today Nintendo is kind of dwelling on art style of course.

A game for it's time (1991) with both great art style and great technical quality is Jewel Master. (simply was in mind b/c I was just listening to its music from vgmusic.)

Another was DMC1, and by just the slightest of margins less, DMC3.

I know this is automatically a stupid thread b/c it was created by me, I know, but some people other than me might be interested in this thread.

agentkay
05-13-07, 10:08 PM
Technical quality. I can appreciate good art but without the technical quality itīs for me like trying to admire a Picasso with sand in my eyes. :D

WeReWoLf
05-13-07, 10:40 PM
Both. If the Tech is great, and combined with great textures (art), then it leaves a good impression.

Namrok
05-14-07, 08:01 AM
All art style here. Ask me if I think Okami or Gears of War looks better and I wouldn't be sure. While I can certainly appreciate the technical achievement that is Gears of War, Okami just looks so damned amazing.

Review
05-14-07, 08:18 AM
Art style here.

nutcrackr
05-14-07, 08:36 AM
Lots of games today have technically very good engines but I think they look quite bad. Art style is the key indicator as to whether I think the game looks good and I'm not really sure why people argue over graphic features.

Ninjaman09
05-14-07, 08:59 AM
Yeah I'll go with art style any day. A game that can do both however is great!

picofarad
05-14-07, 09:02 AM
Most definitely art. This (http://www.limbogame.org/), for example, is far more appealing to me visually than most of the 'next-gen' games I've seen, especially all the technically impressive but insipid brown/grey ruined city warzone games that seems to be popular at the moment.

CaptNKILL
05-14-07, 10:36 AM
Art Style here too.

There are plenty of games that are extremely outdated by todays standards that I think look excellent.

Graphics that are all "technical" with weak artistic style have little to no value once the technology is outdated.

I'd never say that Outcast, Startopia or Realms of the Haunting had the best graphics ever since they are so technically outdated (especially ROTH which sort of resembles the Duke 3d engine) but these games have some of my favorite visuals ever. Well done low res textures and attention to small scenery details make a hell of a lot more interesting graphics (to me) than a shiny pixel shaded blocky mess or super high resolution bland textures.

jAkUp
05-14-07, 11:55 AM
I say you need to have both to have a good looking game. I like the more technical side though, like nice water effects, interesting physics, etc.

toxikneedle
05-14-07, 12:15 PM
how can you start a thread with the word anyways? it's your first sentence, you didn't say anything before that.

grey_1
05-14-07, 12:19 PM
I want both, STALKER is a near perfect example of that for me.

russ_3d
05-14-07, 12:45 PM
art style and i think its lacking in most games :/

Mr_LoL
05-14-07, 01:32 PM
how can you start a thread with the word anyways? it's your first sentence, you didn't say anything before that.
Sheesh. Give it a rest ffs. The mob mentality round here is pretty bad. You should start your sentences with a capital letter. Peharps you should look at your own grammer before criticizing other peoples.

ViN86
05-14-07, 02:52 PM
we should create a "Answer kevJ420's Questions (some legit, some absolutely ****in retarded)" sub-forum.

toxikneedle
05-14-07, 02:53 PM
Sheesh. Give it a rest ffs. The mob mentality round here is pretty bad. You should start your sentences with a capital letter. Peharps you should look at your own grammer before criticizing other peoples.
i just dont like kevj, sue me.

nopp0x00
05-15-07, 05:12 AM
Well ... genius, if you don't like the posts of a certain user you can always ignore them through the control panel, or you can simply overlook them when they're posted.

No one else but you and some other wanker had any issues with this thread.

Whatever you may think about the poster, it doesn't make this thread useless.

ASUSEN7900GTX
05-15-07, 05:37 AM
i would say Oblivion has a great engine and the art is just amazing all the creatures characters just outstanding

on the other hand we have Armed assualt sure looks pretty real but the tech part is just not the best there is so that is one game in need of an overhaul.

DMC1 Primal FFX FFVIII FF IX are games that has both great engines for their time and art is just fantastic.

DMC1 was a piece of game it was really good

Metal GEar 2 and 3 are two other grest tech art games

well i donīt know if i got this art tech thing right but those games look to me as some technically and art wise some of the best ever

toxikneedle
05-15-07, 09:30 AM
Well ... genius, if you don't like the posts of a certain user you can always ignore them through the control panel, or you can simply overlook them when they're posted.

No one else but you and some other wanker had any issues with this thread.

Whatever you may think about the poster, it doesn't make this thread useless.
aww don't cry now

Quick420
05-15-07, 10:47 AM
I like a mix myself,who can forget grim fandango.The designers went all art deco on us,and the results were very cool.On the other hand check out what the high technology game has to offer....

Ut2004 very cool,Farccry very cool,etc etc.I think most designers are now at a point where they realize that they must successfully blend the two to create a 'fresh' game.Nothing ruins a game quicker than huge transitions in surroundings that dont fit any direction in gameplay(daikatana ne1?)Or NOLF1&2 They changed the art style and surroundings in NOLF2 and I didnt enjoy the game at all.

I would have to go with the artistic direction of a game being most important to me......:cool: