PDA

View Full Version : 4gigs.... worth it?

$n][pErMan
05-13-07, 10:23 PM
Well to cut right down to it, I currently have 2gigs (2 1gig sticks) of DDR2 PC2-6400 running duel channel and overclocked. Worth noting is that everything runs great on my PC (i.e. no slowdowns or stuttering). My question is, is getting another 2gigs (2 more matched 1gig sticks) really worth the extra money at this time? This would mean a total of 4 1 gig sticks running in my system. I am currently running Vista Business 32bit and do a lot of heavy gaming. Worth noting is I plan on sticking with 32bit Vista untill the bugs are worked out of the 64-bit version. This leads into my next question which is if more ram is worth it... will Vista 32-bit only being able to see 3gigs mess up anything or add instibility to my system because it can't see or use all the ram? Thanks! :)

kevJ420
05-13-07, 10:28 PM
[pErMan']Well to cut right down to it, I currently have 2gigs (2 1gig sticks) of DDR2 PC2-6400 running duel channel and overclocked. Worth noting is that everything runs great on my PC (i.e. no slowdowns or stuttering). My question is, is getting another 2gigs (2 more matched 1gig sticks) really worth the extra money at this time? This would mean a total of 4 1 gig sticks running in my system. I am currently running Vista Business 32bit and do a lot of heavy gaming. Worth noting is I plan on sticking with 32bit Vista untill the bugs are worked out of the 64-bit version. This leads into my next question which is if more ram is worth it... will Vista 32-bit only being able to see 3gigs mess up anything or add instibility to my system because it can't see or use all the ram? Thanks! :)

I think it would be a good idea to go up to 4 gigs of ram. I'm sure there's a setting that allows you to disable a module.

SlieTheSecond
05-13-07, 10:31 PM
You might lose your dual channel.
Not 100% on this, someone else will know I'm sure.

t3hl33td4rg0n
05-17-07, 05:08 AM
Many boards reduce your FSB from using all slots. I think your best bet is to wait for your next upgrade and get 2x2GB modules.

radekhulan
05-17-07, 05:43 AM
I have 4GB of RAM / Vista Ultimate x64 and truly love it. I have browser (Opera) running, Outlook 2007, Word 2007, Live Messenger, Fedora Core 6 (full OS) under VMWARE Player with MySQL/Apache, UEStudio IDE, and I can still launch Lost Planet demo and enjoy it without shutting down any applications. 4GB of RAM and quadcore handle all this with real ease.

4x1GB runs at DDR900 / dualchannel with no problems, P965 chipset can handle well up to 8GB (4x2GB).

Older config of my PC (with E6600), but shows the memory well: http://hulan.cz/temp/sestava.png

ArrowMk84
05-17-07, 08:17 AM
4GB really makes a difference is Vista 64. Everything is smoother, more responsive and I hardly ever hit the pagefile. Because of compatibility issues with a previous BIOS on my motherboard, I went with a 2x2GB configuration.

DHP
05-17-07, 09:20 AM
Well, I have a P5N32E-SLi, witch is the same board as the Striker Extreme, only less heatpipes and no LCD Poster, but everything works fine here.... See sig.

ArrowMk84
05-17-07, 09:59 AM
Well, I have a P5N32E-SLi, witch is the same board as the Striker Extreme, only less heatpipes and no LCD Poster, but everything works fine here.... See sig.

Yeah, the problem was with Corsair memory on an earlier BIOS. That problem was fixed, after I went with 2x2.

Amuro
05-17-07, 10:04 AM
If you're not gonna use Vista 64bit anytime soon, don't go to 4GB, because 1GB of it will just go to waste. So either stick with 2GB dual channel or 3GB single channel.

zoomy942
05-17-07, 10:36 AM
4 gigs might be worth it, but my question is this... if you aren;t having any problems, why mess with it just yet?

just use Readyboost! get a 2 gig USB stick! hahaha!! readyboost FTL!

Slammin
05-17-07, 10:36 AM
If you're not gonna use Vista 64bit anytime soon, don't go to 4GB, because 1GB of it will just go to waste. So either stick with 2GB dual channel or 3GB single channel.

4 sticks, where only 3 are seen by the OS is still better than 3 sticks, where you would have to run single channel. And, XP runs even better with more than 2gb of ram, so even if 1gb is wasted, you still get the benefit of having more than 2gb.

Amuro
05-17-07, 10:58 AM
4 sticks, where only 3 are seen by the OS is still better than 3 sticks, where you would have to run single channel. And, XP runs even better with more than 2gb of ram, so even if 1gb is wasted, you still get the benefit of having more than 2gb.
No, XP does not run better with more than 2GB of RAM. You'll barely notice any performance gain from 2GB to 4GB. In fact it may run slower. Vista 32-bit with 4GB may give you BSODs and memory dumps.

hell_of_doom227
05-17-07, 11:45 AM
Here is a deal.

I use Vista X64 edition 4x1Gb setup + 2gb Ready Boost. System screams.

NF590 SLI boards support 4x1Gb setup with no problems. No FSB reduced, and memory runs at full speed.

methimpikehoses
05-17-07, 11:54 AM
It's so cheap to buy RAM now, why not if you have x64? Go for it.

hell_of_doom227
05-17-07, 11:59 AM
Yap. Newegg was selling GSkill DDR2-800 5-5-5-10 2x1 Gb kits for $85. The memory is damn good.

Slammin
05-17-07, 04:17 PM
No, XP does not run better with more than 2GB of RAM. You'll barely notice any performance gain from 2GB to 4GB. In fact it may run slower. Vista 32-bit with 4GB may give you BSODs and memory dumps.

Try X-Plane with 2gb, then try it again with 4gb and come back and say that. Sure, the OS was only seeing 2.8gb, but with only 2 sticks (2gb), X-Plane gets pretty deep into your swap file. The difference is very noticable too.

I've never run into any problems with 4 sticks (4gb) in Vista32 either, but I do currently have a problem with 4gb and Vista64 and my X-Fi. It is a known issue and Creative says it will be fixed with the next X-Fi driver.

Also, you should not advise anyone to run with 3 slots since you lose the performance of dual channel.

Redeemed
05-17-07, 05:58 PM
Try X-Plane with 2gb, then try it again with 4gb and come back and say that. Sure, the OS was only seeing 2.8gb, but with only 2 sticks (2gb), X-Plane gets pretty deep into your swap file. The difference is very noticable too.

I've never run into any problems with 4 sticks (4gb) in Vista32 either, but I do currently have a problem with 4gb and Vista64 and my X-Fi. It is a known issue and Creative says it will be fixed with the next X-Fi driver.

Also, you should not advise anyone to run with 3 slots since you lose the performance of dual channel.

I tried running 4GB in XP- from a gaming and general usage point of view- there was absolutely zero performance gain. In fact, it did run slightly better with having only 2GB of RAM in my rig.

For any 32bit OS, I never recommend more than 2GB. For 64-bit OS, I typically say "The more the merrier". ;)

Slammin
05-17-07, 09:41 PM
I tried running 4GB in XP- from a gaming and general usage point of view- there was absolutely zero performance gain. In fact, it did run slightly better with having only 2GB of RAM in my rig.

For any 32bit OS, I never recommend more than 2GB. For 64-bit OS, I typically say "The more the merrier". ;)

Maybe you didn't run anything that exceeded 2gb. I'm not even saying I advise anyone running a 32bit OS to go get 4gb, but I am saying it ran fine on my system, and I also saw some benefit with some games and apps.

Oh well, I guess we all have different experiences with this stuff.

Amuro
05-17-07, 09:45 PM
What is X-Plane, lol? BTW, 3GB is known to be running fine with Vista 32. Youd don't have a problem with 4GB does not mean others won't get BSOD's with physical memory dump.

Slammin
05-17-07, 11:09 PM
And just because you got BSOD's does not mean everyone else will.

I wasn't trying to start anything with you, but advising someone to run 3 sticks in a dual channel capable mobo just to reach 3gb is a little bit silly, especially when you already said that nobody will see any gains beyond 2gb installed.

Amuro
05-17-07, 11:47 PM
And just because you got BSOD's does not mean everyone else will.

I wasn't trying to start anything with you, but advising someone to run 3 sticks in a dual channel capable mobo just to reach 3gb is a little bit silly, especially when you already said that nobody will see any gains beyond 2gb installed.
I didn't get BSODs because I don't use 4GB of RAM with my Vista Ultimate 32 bit, but lots of other people get them if you just read around the net. And when did I say "nobody will see any gains beyond 2GB" in Vista 32 bit? I was referring to XP because you mentioned XP performance.

And you do realize that the OP is actually using Vista Business 32 bit, not XP SP2, right? And my advice is stick with 2GB, but if you really want more RAM, use 3x1GB for better overall latency. If you want higher bandwidth, going with 2x1GB + 2x512MB will be the better method.

Slammin
05-18-07, 01:07 AM
Stop. You are smarter than I.

Bye.

$n][pErMan
05-18-07, 06:23 PM
Hmmm... so its probably a waste of money at this point? I don't plan on moving from Vista 32-bit to 64-bit untill all the drivers are cleaned up and its as smooth running at 32-bit Vista (which runs great for me).

john19055
05-18-07, 07:59 PM
It is worth it ,not really with a 32bit OS ,I have 4 gigs and I still think things loads faster,My Os just sees 2.75gig ,but ram has come down in price so much ,it is a good time to buy another set ,you may want to go to a 64bit OS.You might want to build another system or one of your sticks might go bad.But the reason I would get another set is the price.You can get 2gigs of PC2 8500C5 Dominator for $214,that about $150 less then what I paid for my set.Plus you can get the CORSAIR XMS2 2GB PC26400C4 for $159 a set.