PDA

View Full Version : Another corrupted 7900gt; any justice?

vputz
05-14-07, 10:53 AM
Got an XFX 7900GT last April, which has been sloooowly getting more and more broken as the days go by. It started out fine (in fact I played all the way through Oblivion with it when I first got it, and no troubles).

However, it's gotten much worse--even to the point of having random characters in a fullscreen text console be in a different color. Low-threat games like World of Warcraft do mostly okay with the occasional "band o' neon static" through a texture... but I just installed the Oblivion expansion and it's bad news, everything from the usual distorted polygons or bad texture to complete black screen (with the game still playing).

I installed the nvidia tweak/monitor utility, which showed my GPU temp to be 80C, which seems high, but the fan is still turning and doesn't look dusty. I watercool my CPU, but there are still a couple fans in the case and it's moving air reasonably well.

I'm really trying to hold out for a new part until Nvidia releases GPUs capable of double-precision CUDA work (going back for an advanced degree in computational physics--be nice to do some work on my PC), so I'd rather not buy a new card if I don't have to. But it's been over a year since I bought the card; I'll check on an RMA, but I'm not crazy about being without a computer for a time.

I know the XFX 7900GT was overclocked, and evidently there were a lot of troubles with overclocked 7900GT cards. Is there any user 'fix', such as finding a way to underclock them or some such? Or am I pretty much in "hey, gosh, just look at those shiny new 8600 parts" mode?

vputz
05-14-07, 10:57 AM
Hm, did MORE searching and someone posted here (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77539&highlight=7900+underclock) that XFX may have a 2-year warranty; i'll check it out (again, not nuts about a long RMA, but rather have a card than not). May try underclocking in the short term.

Joe Public
05-14-07, 12:29 PM
Well, I understand the hassle involved, but if it were me, I'd RMA it before the warranty runs out, sell it unused and get a new card. Just damage control.

vputz
05-14-07, 03:10 PM
Heh--it's all timing. I have a business trip in June, so I'll probably RMA it at that point; when I get an upgrade card/system (8800 successor?), the RMA'd one will go to my wife, who doesn't run graphically intensive games (WoW is about as stressed as her system gets). So it should work fine.