PDA

View Full Version : .wmv Crashes my computer help please

KasuCode
05-14-07, 04:17 PM
Every time I play a .wmv file, in a web browser, or in media player 11 it crashes. It dosnt do it with other formats like .ogg, .avi, or .mkv. They are the only other formats I have tried. Dosnt always crash at the same time. Sometimes it will play up to 1 minute before it crashes. Even if im playing the video in windowed mode it will turn my screen black or gray or something and make me restart. Im thinking its my video drivers as I have not had this problem when I was running vista in the past, just had diffrent drivers.

Ive tried changing my 8800gtx out with a 7800gtx and get the same thing.

Running 158.18
Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit.

Anyone else have this problem or know what I can do to fix it.

KasuCode
05-14-07, 05:05 PM
Nevermind I just turned off hardware acceleration so I dont have to worry about it. it works fine now.

Monolyth
05-14-07, 05:38 PM
I'm having the same issues with Vista-64. My machine just hard-lock's and I have to restart. Seems to have started once I upgraded the drivers to 158.18, probably will be going back down to 100.65. It seems to be any video - wmv, mpeg2(dvd), h.264, etc. (probably the acceleration as previously mentioned.)

KasuCode
05-14-07, 06:11 PM
Yea I think its a driver issue with some people using 158.18 under Media Player 11. Theres an option to turn off hardware acceleration for .wmv files. It fixed my problem.