PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia is toast???

Pages : [1] 2

sillyeagle
05-14-07, 04:40 PM
Anybody want to comment on this guys comments? I'm curious what you guys think about this, particularly the part about "nvidia is toast"....

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/31995/113/

CPUs and GPUs are going away. If we pick our next systems carefully, they will probably be the last traditional CPU/GPU system we'll ever have. AMD's buy of ATI begins to come into focus.

Nvidia's riding high at the moment, However long term, they're toast. The article is describing that 2 of AMDs new R600s GPUs (SLI'd) can do the processing work of 30 C2Ds. It's just a matter of integration and programming. AMD (err, ATI) has it aLl oVer INTC in GPU design. Nvidia doesn't have the CPU background to do the integration.

The survivors will be INTC and AMD. Place your bets.

AMD's being crushed right now . . . Hummm? Tempting, don't you think? Who's thinking a new vacation house in 2011-12?

OrangeBlast
05-14-07, 05:49 PM
uh, I dunno about that. Sounds pretty stupid actually. If anything I think the market is growing.

MaXThReAT
05-14-07, 07:45 PM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91255
This is what I thought, the day before that was published. I don't think most people understand the big picture and I don't have the time to post and explain how things are going to change. I don't think it looks good for NV but I know there not going anywhere, they along with AMDTI will be...well you can't even think of them as four companies anymore. They are two CPU/gpu mfg. who will make CGPUs, ooo I like the sound of that, it's like CG but with PU, I'll let them have that one. I just think with with MS on the opposing side...anyway I'm done.

Sazar
05-14-07, 07:47 PM
Anybody want to comment on this guys comments? I'm curious what you guys think about this, particularly the part about "nvidia is toast"....

Maybe he meant that nvidia's next gpu can make toast.

I for one am all about a multi-functional GPU. If it can make toast and coffee, ****, I'm buying that shiznit in a heartbeat :afro:

WeReWoLf
05-14-07, 07:47 PM
If i gets too bad, i reckon Intel would probably buy them out, and laugh all the while they do.

NoWayDude
05-14-07, 07:51 PM
NV can always merge with VIA. I think VIA has an X86 license.
Besides, NV are betting strongly on the mobile market, so.....

scott123
05-14-07, 08:15 PM
When your latest card is WAY late, runs hot, has poor image quality, and is slower than a GTS, then you say things like AMD/ATI did. It's rather simple, it's called "damage control".

RussianHAXOR
05-14-07, 08:18 PM
AMd is getting crushed like a little bug and they just released a new card that is 6 months late and its STILL worse than the 6 month old nvidias, JEEBUS CHRIST. I cant imagine how insane the new Nvidias will be.

m3dude
05-14-07, 08:48 PM
that is 1 of the dumbest articles ive ever read.

DMx
05-14-07, 09:01 PM
What if NVIDIA merges with AMD, they have been strong parteners in the past (although I don't know about now).

MUYA
05-14-07, 09:12 PM
FTC will never allow NV to merge with AMD now..monopoly thinger...

MUYA
05-14-07, 09:14 PM
NV can always merge with VIA. I think VIA has an X86 license.
Besides, NV are betting strongly on the mobile market, so.....
Merging with VIA? Dunno if that makes sense...Intel are pressuring hard on VIA to start royalties for making x86 Pentium chipsets isn't it? or something?

Amuro
05-14-07, 09:19 PM
FTC will never allow NV to merge with AMD now..monopoly thinger...
But is it impossible for AMD to sell ATi to Nvidia?

MUYA
05-14-07, 09:20 PM
That sir would be a..."I dunno buddy" answer :D Complicated that...as a company maybe not, if otehr discrete graphics company makes a fuss. Buying IP rights..maybe possible! "I dunno" mode.

Bman212121
05-14-07, 09:24 PM

I don't see why not. There are still other GPU makers like Intel, so there is competition.

hirantha
05-14-07, 10:27 PM
you know what, when the time comes nvidia will act accordingly. Have a lil faith all you nvidia fans!

Madpistol
05-14-07, 11:18 PM
If ATI and Nvidia were to merge, that would be a higher market monopoly of graphics platforms. Intel can't really be considered competition for the graphics market because they only sell integrated chipsets, whereas nvidia and ATI both sell independent GPU's.

Basically, I don't see that happening. It would raise hell in the GPU industry.

Ancient
05-14-07, 11:31 PM
What if NVIDIA merges with AMD, they have been strong parteners in the past (although I don't know about now).
Little chance of that happening. AMD doesn't need NVIDIA. They already have ATi.

AMD's roadmap is to merge the CPU and GPU. Anand had a recent article on that plan as well. It's the entire reason AMD bought ATi in the first place. They are looking to change the future of computing hardware and architecture by redefining the market. It's an extremely risky move but one that could pay off handsomely, so that article is not that far off base. Hard to agree with its conclusions though since that's such an unknown and fortunes can change with the introduction of a new chip as we saw with the C2D.

While AMD has no need for NVIDIA, if a CPU/GPU chip merger takes off in the market we could very well see Intel snap NVIDIA up in order to compete. And if you had to put your money on Intel/Nvidia vs. AMD/ATi, who would you pick to win that contest?

Of course, times change quickly in this business because 2 years ago many of us would have picked AMD/ATi to win. :D

rhink
05-14-07, 11:40 PM
On R600's being 20 times faster than C2D's or whatever.... it's kind of a stupid comparison. For an application that maps well to a graphics chip's capabilities, yes, they're insanely fast. But they're far from completely general purpose computing platforms. They're nuts for some physics simulations, for example, because you can operate on a large array of data using short loops of identical programs on each element. For most types of applications it's not going to give you anywhere near that advantage, if any. I think GPGPU has a lot of potential, but let's not go overboard.

m3dude
05-14-07, 11:44 PM
actually amd bought ati to get its foot in the integrated graphics market. if u think gpus are going to be phased out by fusion(or any type of combo cpu/gpu) in the near future your delirious

Amuro
05-14-07, 11:53 PM
Little chance of that happening. AMD doesn't need NVIDIA. They already have ATi.

AMD's roadmap is to merge the CPU and GPU. Anand had a recent article on that plan as well. It's the entire reason AMD bought ATi in the first place. They are looking to change the future of computing hardware and architecture by redefining the market. It's an extremely risky move but one that could pay off handsomely, so that article is not that far off base. Hard to agree with its conclusions though since that's such an unknown and fortunes can change with the introduction of a new chip as we saw with the C2D.

While AMD has no need for NVIDIA, if a CPU/GPU chip merger takes off in the market we could very well see Intel snap NVIDIA up in order to compete. And if you had to put your money on Intel/Nvidia vs. AMD/ATi, who would you pick to win that contest?

Of course, times change quickly in this business because 2 years ago many of us would have picked AMD/ATi to win. :D
Yeah, but AMD is kinda deep in debt because of the ATi acquisition, they'd be better off just sell off ATi right now.

agentkay
05-15-07, 12:31 AM
Mergers/acquisitions can be broken up when necessary or profitably. Just look at Daimler who sold of Chrystler (80%) after 9 years.

kevJ420
05-15-07, 12:39 AM
As the conservative gamer I am, I don't want everything to be integrated/all in one chip.

That could force unwanted combinations on people.

nvidia making a soundstorm 2 stand alone sound card would probably be good.

As for the article, it's bogus. simply listen to the way it sounds.

It's was like people saying back in the day, that sony was going to release a 65 bit PS, so it would be more powerful than the N64, but no one should fall for that b/c 65 isn't a power of 2.

I know this is retarded and all, but I didn't come up with this, so try to refrain from flaming me.

HeavyH20
05-15-07, 12:52 AM
If you look at current GPU's sold these days, it takes NVIDIA and ATI combined compete with Intel. But, that is actual GPU chips, so the crappy Intel integrated chips count, as well. As for discrete graphics, NVIDIA and ATI will be producing cards for some time to come. The newer technology will help improve the integrated graphics but I suspect that there will be resistance to this since many purchase desktops instead of laptops for upgradability. Then again, if it proves to be much faster and less money, interest may come around.

RussianHAXOR
05-15-07, 01:16 AM
Nobody can be as toast as ATi.... haha the 2900XT was such a Flop.