PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 HD-DVD update released!

superklye
05-15-07, 09:52 AM
Just read about it over at AVS. Here's the official feedback thread...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=847397

Here's what the HD DVD audio update will include on May 15th:

- Fix DD being stuck in "Night Mode" which is essentially Dynamic Range Compression leading to the sound sounding very flat

- Option to output ALL HD DVD audio as DTS 1.5Mbps (list includes DD+, TrueHD, DTS, and any other audio option offered on HD DVD discs I may have missed)

- Option to output ALL HD DVD audio as DD 640Kbps, (which it currently does, but will be fixed from the Night Mode bug), list includes DD+, TrueHD, DTS, and any other audio option offered on HD DVD discs that I may have missed.

- Option to output ALL HD DVD audio as WMAPro 1.5Mbps, (list includes DD+, TrueHD, DTS, and any other audio option offered on HD DVD discs I may have missed) for those receivers that support WMA.

- Option to enable/disable Night Mode (with the default set to off)

- Fix a number of disc incompatibilities (including DVD Essentials) as well as a number of Lip Sync issues.

This update is SEPARATE from the Spring Dashboard Update that came out on May 7, 2007.

ENU291
05-15-07, 10:05 AM
Lovin this news! Thanks Kyle! :thumbsup:

Namrok
05-15-07, 10:21 AM
Took em long enough. All my HD-DVDs sounded pretty bad. Always had to jack the volume way up, and even then things came off sounding pretty flat.

superklye
05-15-07, 10:24 AM
Yeah, damn that "night mode." I don't know how that bug made it past QA, but whatever. I'm glad it's fixed.

Until now, I'd thought the audio on NIN - Beside You in Time sucked pretty badly, but I guess it was just because of the 360 bug. I can't wait to get my A2 home, hooked up to my dad's new system (the bass is set to like 1/10th of max and it is ass-rattling) and 1080p Samsung DLP to see how this disc SHOULD have sounded.

Lyme
05-15-07, 10:45 AM
Sweet, can't wait to try this.

superklye
05-15-07, 10:45 AM
fyi: you have to put an HD DVD in the drive in order for the update to start.

Lyme
05-16-07, 02:00 AM
Sounds a ton better with the update. Set my system to DTS for my 6.1 surround system. Very nice.

Arioch
05-16-07, 05:54 AM
Just in time for the Matrix movies.

nekrosoft13
05-16-07, 06:50 AM
is this a software update only, or it also includes a firmware?

i want to pick up hd-dvd drive for my PC, if it has a firmware update, then i will have to take it to a friends house to get it updated.

superklye
05-16-07, 07:04 AM
I'm pretty sure it's just software. I don't think any firmware update would affect the drive. It does nothing but read the discs...the 360 console does all the processing and work. What would they update on the drive?

nekrosoft13
05-16-07, 08:13 AM
I'm pretty sure it's just software. I don't think any firmware update would affect the drive. It does nothing but read the discs...the 360 console does all the processing and work. What would they update on the drive?

i don't know, but every drive gets firmware updates for some reason or another

Lyme
05-16-07, 10:52 AM
Simply a software update, microsoft puts none of the fun goo on the hd-dvd drive.

GamerGuyX
05-16-07, 05:27 PM
This update could of been so much more if Microsoft actually allowed a way to listen to TrueHD soundtracks the way they were meant: lossless. Instead of compressed into DTS or DD.

Lyme
05-16-07, 05:41 PM
How much true HD content is there on hd-dvd's?

GamerGuyX
05-16-07, 05:45 PM
How much true HD content is there on hd-dvd's?

The Phantom of the Opera
Training Day
Constantine
Troy
The Perfect Storm
The Wicker Man
End of Days
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (isolated music-only track)
Batman Begins
V for Vendetta
The Ant Bully
Superman Returns
Lady in the Water
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (UK only)
Clerks II
Pulse
Nine Inch Nails - Beside You in Time
Poseidon'
The Departed
Happy Feet
The World's Fastest Indian
Feast
School for Scoundrels
Alpha Dog
Letters from Iwo Jima
The Matrix
The Matrix Reloaded
The Matrix Revolutions
Black Christmas
Harsh Times
Blood Diamond
The War
Blue Planet(IMAX)
Nutty Professor II: The Klumps
Royal Space Force—The Wings of Honneamise
Patlabor The Movie
Patlabor 2 The Movie
Darkman
We Are Marshall
Manilow Live!
Heart: Alive In Seattle
Nature's Colors With The World's Greatest Music

Ancient
05-16-07, 05:48 PM
This update could of been so much more if Microsoft actually allowed a way to listen to TrueHD soundtracks the way they were meant: lossless. Instead of compressed into DTS or DD.
MS did allow a way - hook the HD-DVD player up to your PC. With the proper PC hardware you can have TrueHD output.

GamerGuyX
05-16-07, 06:11 PM
MS did allow a way - hook the HD-DVD player up to your PC. With the proper PC hardware you can have TrueHD output.

I bought my 360 HD DVD player for my 360. Thanks for that though. ;)

Ancient
05-16-07, 09:27 PM
I bought mine to watch HD DVDs and have no idea if my XBOX 360 wants one for itself. ;)

fasedww
05-20-07, 04:09 PM
Yup Just put my king kong movie in and it said ther was a update, worked alright, everything sounds find of course, I have my 360 hooked up to pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1ch Surround System:D