PDA

View Full Version : Seeking wired router advice.

Medion
05-15-07, 01:34 PM
I've been using a Linksys BEFSR41 for the past couple of years. It does a good job of splitting my broadband connection, but none of the following features work properly;

-Port Forwarding
-Port Triggering
-uPnP Forwarding
-DMZ

So naturally, games that require me to open or trigger certain ports give me issues. Blizzard Downloader? Forget it. FFXI? Type "linksys ffxi" in any search engine and you'll quickly see that that game and this router hate each other with a passion.

So I'm looking for something more stable. Not going to buy another BESFR41. Hell, for V3 (the one I have), Linksys doesn't even have updated firmware on their site. They hardly even support this router.

While I would prefer to get a sun-$50 router, I know what you get for buying cheap, so I'll set my budget at $150 for a router. Wired only preferred, I have no desire for wireless.

Any input would be appreciated.

ViN86
05-15-07, 02:04 PM
you did set a static IP on the computer correct?

i know its basic, but those features work best with a static IP. i have the same router and all those features work perfectly. i use port forwarding for my bit torrent client and DMZ for my 360 to open the NAT.

here's a gaming router. gigabit. should suit your needs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127060

Medion
05-15-07, 02:56 PM
Yup, both of my PCs have static IPs, and port forwarding, etc. is forwarded to my main PC.

And thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into that router.

radekhulan
05-15-07, 03:07 PM
I highly recommend Asus WL500g-Premium. It has brilliant Linux firmware (all you need really works), 4 LAN ports, 1 WAN port, 2 USB 2.0 ports (you can connect external HDD to them), integrated Samba, FTP server, bittorrent client and many others.

And it is fast :)

Had Linksys and Ovislink before, but they were second league compared to WL500gP.

(not so good review, they do not even know there is Linux FW for it, but still interesting read): http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/asus-wl500g-premium.html

Get latest FW here: http://wl500g.info/

Medion
05-15-07, 03:18 PM
Over at rage, the best option I was given was the Linksys WRG54GS, though I'm not sure I want another Linksys.

Wireless is a negative to me, but I still like what I heard on the Asus WLG you linked. Worth a look at least. Still, I'm leaning towards the D-Link that ViN linked.

ViN86
05-15-07, 05:08 PM
http://games.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=371

click the top link for the manual. then you can review it and see if it has the features you want. it should work well with games, since well, that's what it's supposed to do, hehe ;)

DMx
05-15-07, 05:12 PM
WRG series kick ass, go for it.

Medion
05-15-07, 08:19 PM
WRG series kick ass, go for it.

The WRG series is basically a BEFSR41 with wireless. They are cheap pieces of crap. Yea, you can luck out and get a good one that lasts beyond the 1 year warranty, but I want something that's not a throwaway router.

The argument that the WRG series can use 3rd party firmware doesn't hold much water anymore, as the V5 and V6 WRGs have less memory and can't run most 3rd party firmware. It's the V3 and V4 series that can, but these are no longer on store shelves.

There were two GREAT suggestions in this thread by ViN and Rade. I'll likely pick between those two.

Dr.Nick
05-15-07, 08:55 PM
Another vote for the D-Link 4100, it's a great router. Also if you can spare a few $$ I'd recommend the 4300 since it has all the features/wired ports of the 4100 and adds wireless in case your needs change in the future.

fraggelrock
05-15-07, 09:28 PM
here's a gaming router. gigabit. should suit your needs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127060

I got this router - it is bad ass!!

Stable and all the features work. I got all Cat 6 cables in it, and 2 computers on it and Vonage - it's the bomb!!

CaptNKILL
05-15-07, 09:52 PM
I have the D-Link gaming router with gigabit and wireless and its EXCELLENT.

Great software, tons of features and from what I can tell its reliable and well designed. Using this router eliminated all of the networking issues I had with games. Anything using the Unreal engine would disconnect randomly with my old router. On the new one, I never get disconnects and the pings are solid (even using a USB wireless NIC 3 rooms away). The wireless portion of it is also extremely reliable. I could barely get any signal at all from my old 11mbit linksys wireless router, but with this one (in the same place) I can get full 54mbit speed anywhere in my house.

I'd recommend just getting the 4300 with wireless. The price isnt much different and its just so damn cool having wireless access anywhere in the house using a simple USB wireless NIC.

Medion
05-22-07, 09:38 AM
I wasn't quite ready to spend money, if I could avoid it. So, I fiddled with everything that I could. As a last ditch effort, I got the 1.06.05 BETA firmware from Linksys (had to get a link emailed to me after a phone call).

Sure enough, port forwarding and all that is now working for the first time. No disconnects from FFXI, and get this, I'm using the Blizzard downloader today (WoW) at a speed I've NEVER seen before. I'm no longer getting that "Warning, you are behind a firewall" message.

Starscream
05-22-07, 04:05 PM
I'm a little late to the party but the only wired router I'm willing to sell in my store is the D-Link DI-604's. Rock solid and dirt cheap.

Clearly you've already fixed your problem though, heh.