PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice from watercooling pro's.

Roliath
05-15-07, 04:55 PM
I'm tired of my room being a "tanning salon" as the lady says.
So I am looking to go water cooling but am a little unsure of what to buy.
My basic needs are cooler temps (duh!) and support for K8 processors and Intels C2D's.
I only need to "really" cool down my CPU, but it would be nice if I can throw the GPU in the mix (support for sli would rock!).

I am looking to purchase all this on saturday, and have it done by next tuesday.
So what would be my best bet, who to go with, what blocks to go with, same for rad/pump/res. And tubing size?
I'm almost tempted to just buy a freezone, but than my GPU could never be added in.
What do you guys think?

J-Mag
05-15-07, 05:19 PM
WTF? Tanning Salon? Your computer emits a lot of light?

Roliath
05-15-07, 05:39 PM
WTF? Tanning Salon? Your computer emits a lot of light?
ha, hot like one is what she is trying to say.
she tans alot, i don't...

J-Mag
05-15-07, 06:02 PM
ha, hot like one is what she is trying to say.
she tans alot, i don't...

OK I see... However, your room temp won't change if you go watercooling, so it will still be just as hot. That is unless you mount your radiator in the garage or something.

ynnek
05-15-07, 06:14 PM
OK I see... However, your room temp won't change if you go watercooling, so it will still be just as hot. That is unless you mount your radiator in the garage or something.

Yes. Watercooling is just a method to extract heat from your PC components, and ultimately dump it out in the air of your room. In this case, the heat comes off from the radiator in the surrounding air.

So the only way to cool the room down, is find a way to dump the heat out of the room. One way, as J-Mag said, is if you go watercooling, is to relocate the radiator out of your room, or at the very least, perhaps blowing the air across the radiator and have the hot exaust air sealed and ducted out of your room (like out a window).

OR, my favorite way, is to move the PC out of the room, stick with aircooling, and just use long cables for video, sound and USB.. You also move the sound away and out of the room too. Besides the cables, you don't need anything special either. Drawback is now, whatever room or hall your PC is in, is where the heat and noise is dumped. For me, its the hallway.. But the hallway has more air and airflow to disappate the heat, and nobody really hangs around the hallway to noice the noise.. (and its far away from the other rooms to not cause any annoyance.)

EDIT: And of course the obvious ways, is to extract the heat out of the air of the room.. AKA, put fans in the room that draw in fresh cool air in the room, and suck out the hot air. Or use an airconditioner setup for the room itself, or upgrade to a fancy central AC system that can control specfic zones in your house.