PDA

View Full Version : Moving program files 'Warning' messages

DoomUK
05-15-07, 06:38 PM
After purchasing a new HDD, I'm moving a stack of program files from one partition to another. Simple question:-

Are the 'Renaming, Moving or Deleting X could make some programs not work..." warning messages to be taken seriously? Will I find that half my software will crash on me, requiring reinstallation?

radekhulan
05-15-07, 06:52 PM
Most programs will NOT work after being moved. However, there is one possibility how to make them work. Download utility called junction (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/Junction.mspx), this will create symbolic links to directories (same as in Linux). Now move your programs from c:\XYZ to e.g. d:\XYZ, delete c:\XYZ directory, and create a symbolic link with the same name instead, pointing to D: drive. Everything will work then :)

This is my own directory structure, with many symbolic links to different HDDs/DVDs, though they are all linked to C:, for convenience:
http://radekhulan.cz/img/1/20061222-adresarova-struktura.png

DoomUK
05-16-07, 02:08 PM
Thankyou radekhulan, although I've ran through most of the programs I've moved, and all seem to be running OK :).

nekrosoft13
05-16-07, 02:43 PM
junctions? are those that new annoying folders in vista?

radekhulan
05-16-07, 04:15 PM
"junctions" under NTFS are same as symbolic links under Linux. You can understand them as pointers. Let's say the directory is physically located at "d:\program files", but you create a symbolic link at "c:\bin" pointing to "d:\program files". Now when you install new software to "c:\bin", it will get stored at "d:\program files". This is VERY handy..

What I did already under XP is point new "c:\home" to "c:\documents and settings", as "c:\home" is much easier to type, and made other shortcuts as shown. Pays off if you like command line.

nekrosoft13
05-16-07, 04:23 PM
yeah i understand, like Documents and Settings in c drive under Vista is a Junction to C:\Users