PDA

View Full Version : PS3 launch severely hurts Sony's profits

Pages : [1] 2

Lyme
05-16-07, 11:16 AM
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/viewer/06q4/
04.Consolidated Results FY06

Wow,
Sales and Revenue up by +10.5% for Fiscal 06 compared to Fiscal 05.
Operating income down by -68.3%

13.Game FY06
Sales +1,016.8 (billion yen)
Operating income -232.3 (billion yen)

It is a good thing other buisnesses other than games and music posted record profits. The games division managed to wipe nearly all of their records out.

I woulden't expect a PS3 price drop anytime soon.

kevJ420
05-16-07, 03:06 PM
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/viewer/06q4/
04.Consolidated Results FY06

Wow,
Sales and Revenue up by +10.5% for Fiscal 06 compared to Fiscal 05.
Operating income down by -68.3%

13.Game FY06
Sales +1,016.8 (billion yen)
Operating income -232.3 (billion yen)

It is a good thing other buisnesses other than games and music posted record profits. The games division managed to wipe nearly all of their records out.

I wouldn't expect a PS3 price drop anytime soon.

A price cut isn't justified for the PS3.

You're already getting far more than what you pay for when you buy a ps3.

superklye
05-16-07, 03:10 PM
But they still need more people to BUY it.

Subtestube
05-16-07, 03:16 PM

Superklye is right - this is a market driven by demand. If no-one's buying, then either something's wrong with the marketing, which I don't believe, or the price is too high. Whether the PS3 is worth it or not, it looks bad by comparsion when put alongside $400 and $250. Price matters.

thor1182
05-16-07, 03:39 PM
you also get more in a PS3 that most people WANT, hence no need to pay more for a GAME console.

ViN86
05-16-07, 03:40 PM
opinion.

opinion.

seriously, i think kevJ420 gets a hardon from Sony :|

thor1182
05-16-07, 03:43 PM
can't forget sega

Toss3
05-16-07, 03:45 PM
I bet it's because they've got some things in common; they are both big, loud, offer no rumble and their brain cell(s) are totally useless.

|MaguS|
05-16-07, 03:52 PM
Yeah it hurt them... so did the X360 launch for MS... Sony just took a larger hit thanks to the larger cost of the unit. This isn't anything unexpected and Sony's Stock actually went up because the news wasn't that bad thanks to other divisions taking alot of the damage off.

BTW MS has been in the red since the have been in the game industry, Sony was actually pulling in profits before the PS3 went into full development.

Lyme
05-16-07, 03:58 PM
Yeah it hurt them... so did the X360 launch for MS... Sony just took a larger hit thanks to the larger cost of the unit. This isn't anything unexpected and Sony's Stock actually went up because the news wasn't that bad thanks to other divisions taking alot of the damage off.

That is one benifit of being a bemoth of a company.

QUOTE=|MaguS|]BTW MS has been in the red since the have been in the game industry, Sony was actually pulling in profits before the PS3 went into full development.[/QUOTE]

True, however this is only the second generation game console by MS. The console market also have become much more competitive over time.
As far as MS goes, their game unit also reported losses this last quarter. The losses are starting to slow, and MS predicts making a actual profit by next year (who would have guessed). In addition MS has the luxury of having significantly more cash on hand, and less debt.

However, either way, I think I characterized the situation without reading much of anything into the situation.. or drawing anything other than "don't expect a price drop". It is very interesting to see how Sony and the market react.

|MaguS|
05-16-07, 04:11 PM
Im expecting a price drop... Sony can take it and will take it. The more units that they have on the market the more profit they have coming in from the PSN Store, Games and Accessories. Sony's main goal is getting systems to the market, they don't care how much they lose right now. Remember they plan to give the PS3 a long lifespan.

LycosV
05-16-07, 07:07 PM
I was looking at the pictoral history of consoles over at wired (http://www.wired.com/gaming/gamingreviews/multimedia/2007/05/gallery_game_history) and if it shows one thing it's price matters alot when it comes to the downfall of consoles. There have been better consoles than those that won previous generations but if they're too expensive they will loose.

Ninja Prime
05-16-07, 08:22 PM
Thats almost 2 billion dollars in the hole for sony's game division, yikes. Never thought it would get to the point of dragging other parts of the company down, but it just might at that rate.

Lyme
05-16-07, 11:23 PM
I was looking at the pictoral history of consoles over at wired (http://www.wired.com/gaming/gamingreviews/multimedia/2007/05/gallery_game_history) and if it shows one thing it's price matters alot when it comes to the downfall of consoles. There have been better consoles than those that won previous generations but if they're too expensive they will loose.

If the burger king 360 games showed us anything. When it comes to good or cheap, cheap wins.

kevJ420
05-17-07, 12:56 AM
opinion.

opinion.

That's purely homosexual fag****, man.

Game companies don't cause people erections, if that's what you're trying to say.

kevJ420
05-17-07, 01:05 AM

The Dreamcast had a lower price point than the ps2.

I never expected the wii to win just b/c it's cheaper. I was completely wrong and dismayed about that, however. I had thought Nintendo's dominance was effectively over forever after their 65% market share in 1994.
I hope their market share is less than 35% by the end of this year and I hope they go out of business for ripping people off.

opinion.

The Virtual Boy had a lower price point than all of the systems that were alive in 1995 (other than portables and super nes, gen, sega cd, and 32x, jag and jag cd.) Of course, most of those systems were failures, but anyways.

The Faguar was ~$159 when the $399 Sega Saturn and $299 Sony PS1 came out.

SeriTonin
05-17-07, 10:29 AM
Consoles lose money for companies all the time.

Wii is like the first console to generate profit at it's debut, thanks to the ancient hardware ..aside from the bluetooth heh.

Sony is already losing money hand over fist at the price point PS3 is at now, they SHOULD lower the price.

They dont make money off consoles, they make money charging developers to put games on their console. License fee's, etc.

But if you have a console that sells like garbage, developers wont put games on that machine (Gamecube anyone?) .

A price cut would make a lot of sense for Sony's long-term finacial plan, even though I agree that it's already pretty cheap for what you get. Problem is forcing people to get/pay for a blu-ray player they might not need or want.

ViN86
05-17-07, 11:16 AM

Game companies don't cause people erections, if that's what you're trying to say.
so are you implying that you dont get a hardon from Sony cause you think Sony is a male-like figure?

obviously they dont cause erections... it's a joke :lol:

nemecb
05-18-07, 04:26 PM
Consoles lose money for companies all the time.

Wii is like the first console to generate profit at it's debut, thanks to the ancient hardware ..aside from the bluetooth heh.
Actually Nintendo has never sold a console at a loss. As badly as their last two consoles have done they've made money hand over fist.

kevJ420
05-18-07, 05:32 PM
#17, the Gamecube's lack of 3rd party support was mainly due to the fact that Nintendo charged higher royalties than their competitors did and quite possibly b/c the xbox was more powerful and much easier to program for.
Not to mention the saturn or anything, but sega had superior 3rd party support to the n64. It was b/c Nintendo was too damn greedy.

#19, you're pretty damn smart=)

What's so ****ed up about it is that they not only make profits off the consoles directly, they have overcharged their 3rd parties.

If it were up to me, I'd give royalty credits to developers, if they have a radical game that may not sell well.

I wish sony would do that, so all of the future 2D castlevanias could possibly be on the PS3.

With a new generation the technical quality goes up w/ 2D games, just as much as it does with 3d games.

I wish everyone would realise that.

Although there is no excuse for a gamer not to buy just about any castlevania game in the 1st place.

fasedww
05-20-07, 04:19 PM

Game companies don't cause people erections, if that's what you're trying to say.How come you don't overclock your E6300 at least a couple hundred mhz., will probally most likely do it on stock volts etc. temp probally stay pretty much the same also.:afraid:

kevJ420
05-20-07, 05:46 PM
How come you don't overclock your E6300 at least a couple hundred mhz., will probally most likely do it on stock volts etc. temp probally stay pretty much the same also.:afraid:

I don't really care about speed, but thanks for the advice, and I definately know you're right, but I've just never liked the thought of running something past what it's rated.

Likewise, I always try to run things different from neutral, if the difference is good.

I actually wanted to drop off even more degrees with the core 2 duo, so I was wondering what I should undervolt it to while being perfect safe.

I need to get off my ass and call tripplite and see if it's ok to use the 5-20p on the LC2400's 5-20p sockets, b/c it can run at 90VAC w/ this cord I bought. I'm not sure if it's ok b/c i don't have 5-20p outlets in my house.

evilchris
05-20-07, 05:48 PM
Im expecting a price drop... Sony can take it and will take it. The more units that they have on the market the more profit they have coming in from the PSN Store, Games and Accessories. Sony's main goal is getting systems to the market, they don't care how much they lose right now. Remember they plan to give the PS3 a long lifespan.

Are you an official Sony spokesperson? Is this the official position of Sony?

fasedww
05-20-07, 07:21 PM
I don't really care about speed, but thanks for the advice, and I definately know you're right, but I've just never liked the thought of running something past what it's rated.

Likewise, I always try to run things different from neutral, if the difference is good.

I actually wanted to drop off even more degrees with the core 2 duo, so I was wondering what I should undervolt it to while being perfect safe.

I need to get off my ass and call tripplite and see if it's ok to use the 5-20p on the LC2400's 5-20p sockets, b/c it can run at 90VAC w/ this cord I bought. I'm not sure if it's ok b/c i don't have 5-20p outlets in my house.don't care about speed you got those 8800's right? it will help push them a little better'. I would cause it won't hurt it at all, Just ask other people here, I bet they would say doit also, I have one on a msi p6n 650i motherboard at 2.78mhz with a side intakes and it idles at 26c, got a good heatsink on it , rosewill rcxz-z775 92mm 2 ball cpu cooler, came with a package at newegg.

kevJ420
05-20-07, 08:07 PM
don't care about speed you got those 8800's right? it will help push them a little better'. I would cause it won't hurt it at all, Just ask other people here, I bet they would say doit also, I have one on a msi p6n 650i motherboard at 2.78mhz with a side intakes and it idles at 26c, got a good heatsink on it , rosewill rcxz-z775 92mm 2 ball cpu cooler, came with a package at newegg.

well yeah, but not for speed, but b/c of the aa modes and also b/c there were some sli enhancements that were supposed to come out, but I guess since I'm the only person who cares about Image q. it's not going to happen.
Just b/c the 8800gtx's iq is "the best yet" doesn't mean it's IQ is any good. it's more enjoyable to post on here than it is to play anything on those pieces of ****.