PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Networking Question 802.11b

GlowStick
03-25-03, 10:38 PM
Hi,

I recently bought some netgear wireless rounting products that use the 802.11b standard. It works very well but the conection drops out every minuet or so for a few seconds.

It is highly noticeble when playing UT2k3 or Counter Strike. Also when downloading \

any ideas thanks?

Matthyahuw
03-26-03, 02:16 AM
sounds like a netgear issue, check their FAQ, or maybe just play with the antennae

jnd3
03-26-03, 08:44 AM
You might also want to check your router settings....it could be that your DHCP lease is unnaturally short (I had a problem with that and it kept hosing up my VPN into work). Is your signal strength and quality good?

Cheers,
JND

GlowStick
03-26-03, 01:08 PM
ah, ill check my dhcp release thingey

for arguments sake with the netgear tech i moved my pc really close so i get full strength.

They coudlnt help me so they said they moved my case to 'Level 2' and they will call me back.. heh heh.

The Baron
03-26-03, 04:26 PM
well.. it's time to find an old post.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4825&highlight=fragmentation+threshold

yup. there ya go.

GlowStick
03-26-03, 05:08 PM
The Baron, i bought a USB adaptor because it was very cheep? should i return it and get a pci one?

The Baron
03-26-03, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by GlowStick
The Baron, i bought a USB adaptor because it was very cheep? should i return it and get a pci one?

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, YES

;)

Words cannot impart to you the sheer amont of problems I have had with USB network adapters. Avoid like... uhhh... Michael Jackson.

GlowStick
03-26-03, 11:05 PM
The Baron i did the stuff that you said in your post and it reduced the amount of time from when the hicpups happend, but they are still there.

NetGear is saying its my IRQ's because i have too many PCI devices installed... *everything is integrated HA, only my vid card*

then they say "oh yeah, 802.11b CANT be used for gameing, thats the whole problem.

It works fine but then suddenly i get Mega packetloss. I guess ill shell out the extra cash for a PCI nic.

The Baron
03-26-03, 11:54 PM
Yup, that's exactly what I had... probably the same chipset as what I had. Blah.

jnd3
03-27-03, 08:18 AM
I have two USB adapaters (both Linksys WUSB11, one for the desktop, one for a laptop), and I really haven't had a lick of a problem with 'em. I had to do a little driver hacking in Linux, but I eventually got it to come up in RH8.0 as well. I do have a different router (D-Link 614) from you, though. It's probably worth trying a PCI card just for the heck of it, but, as always, your mileage may vary... ;)

Cheers,
JND