PDA

View Full Version : Enough power for 8800 GTS SLI??

Dreamingawake
05-17-07, 12:39 PM
Hey ya'll. I've got a 450 watt power supply.

Now I'm not too knowledgeable on the amps and rails everyones been talking about, though I guess it's never too late to learn.

Anyway, I was just wondering if this power supply would be enough
to add another Geforce 8800GTS 320MB to the one I am currently running
so that I could have SLI.

I don't really wanna switch out my whole PSU, but if that is the case
then I'm sure I'd be better off just getting a new PSU and a GTX.

Any info would be appreciated. Thank you !! (nana2)

spaceigg
05-17-07, 12:59 PM
it may run but it probably will give you trouble. I think the minimum for one single GTS is actually 450W
if you do a search there is somewhere a website where you can put all the devices in your system and it will tell the power supply you need.

Slammin
05-17-07, 01:30 PM
Hey ya'll. I've got a 450 watt power supply.

Now I'm not too knowledgeable on the amps and rails everyones been talking about, though I guess it's never too late to learn.

Anyway, I was just wondering if this power supply would be enough
to add another Geforce 8800GTS 320MB to the one I am currently running
so that I could have SLI.

I don't really wanna switch out my whole PSU, but if that is the case
then I'm sure I'd be better off just getting a new PSU and a GTX.

Any info would be appreciated. Thank you !! (nana2)

Even if that were a top of the line PSU, I wouldn't try it. And if it's a cheaper PSU, when it goes POP, it will likely take prisoners.

tornadog
05-17-07, 01:49 PM
I had a thermaltake 480W and it couldnt handle the 8800 GTS. Now I have a OCZ 700W and it seems sufficient.

jcrox
05-17-07, 01:55 PM
I personally wouldn't try it. Ive got 2 640MB GTS's; I can put both of them in my main rig with my 700w psu just fine, but when I try that with my 4000+ system that only has a 500w psu they most definitely do not agree with the lack of power, system wont even boot most of the time and if it does, it shuts down with in minutes.

Joe Public
05-17-07, 02:19 PM
At least figure out what make and model it is and post here. Still, I wouldn't take the chance of running 8800 cards in SLI with any kind of 450W PSU either.

Revs
05-17-07, 04:18 PM
I'm running 2 8800GTS's and an E6600 overclocked to 3.36 on a CoolerMaster 550w with no probs at all:) . The power meter reads 400w ish in game.
I know it's pushing the PSU as it's fan spins up alot under load, but it copes fine. I think it'll be the next upgrade though. I wouldn't trust a 450w even with 1 GTS though:thumbdwn: . 600w plus to be safe.
The PSU is one of the things you upgrade least often so if I was you i'd get something a bit overboard, like an 800w or something, so your safe when the next upgrade comes along. :p
It it worth risking f***ing your PC for the sake of 100, I think not. Choose wisely my friend.

Revs

Dreamingawake
05-17-07, 07:15 PM
Cool. Thanks for all the informative replies guys.

I guess I'll look into upgrading my PSU, and then I'll just get a GTX, or something
better in the future when they come out.

Thank you !!!

For those who asked, this is my case.. comes with a PSU.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.php?PageTag=&page=file&memx_menu=EmbedProductDetail.php&DisplayProductID=5869&SID=

john19055
05-18-07, 12:34 AM
You are lucky if it is running one 8800GTS fine ,I would upgade if you plan on running two.I had a SilverStone Zues 560watt that put out 38amp(45peak) on the 12 rail and it ran my two 8800GTS 640mb or the system I have listed and I never had no problems ,but I upgraded it anyway just to be on the safe side.

RussianHAXOR
05-18-07, 12:59 AM
OCZ 850watt PSU FTW! I wouldnt trust a 450watt to run two 8800GTS'

Revs
05-21-07, 06:22 AM
Here's a link to a PSU calculator... http://www.extreme.outervision.com/powercalc.jsp
Fill in your system details and it tells u the minimum PSU required.

Redeemed
05-21-07, 06:26 AM
Here's a link to a PSU calculator... http://www.extreme.outervision.com/powercalc.jsp
Fill in your system details and it tells u the minimum PSU required.

That PSU calculator is over rated. I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it.

For dual 8800GTS SLi, any top-quality 650 watt single, tri-, or quad-rail PSU will be sufficient. And by "top quality" I'm referring to the brands like PC P&C, Silverstone, SeaSonic, and OCZ. Those are excellent brands.

Or, you could do one better and go with a beefier PSU. Not only would you have more wattage available to you but you'd also have more amps per 12v rail- this route would give you room to breathe in terms of upgrades. And I'd stick with one of the brands I mentioned earlier. ;)

Revs
05-21-07, 10:04 AM
It seems accurate to me, the readout on my PSU says 400win game, which is about what the website says my system should use on 60-70% load. But anyhow, as u said, 600-650w minimum for SLI to be safe. Though there's many good PSU manufacturers around. Just read some reviews before u buy.