PDA

View Full Version : Next installment of Deus Ex in the works

newparad1gm
05-17-07, 03:29 PM
http://pc.ign.com/articles/789/789321p1.html

Apparently, Eidos is reviving the Deus Ex franchise, but since Ion Storm shut its doors and Warren Spector moved on to his own development studio, it doesn't seem like much of the team that worked on the original or Invisible War is involved with this. Hopefully Eidos Montreal can bring the next Deus Ex back to form, making it more akin to the first than to the sequel.

CaptNKILL
05-17-07, 03:41 PM
Sweet. :)

I actually thought Invisible War was a decent game. Not up to par with Deus Ex, but it had its moments.

I'm looking forward to this one. :)

nekrosoft13
05-17-07, 03:51 PM
oh god, they better not **** this one up

if its like Invisible War, i won't even bother

|MaguS|
05-17-07, 04:12 PM
IW wasn't bad but it was no Deus Ex Sequel. I hope they focus more on RPG and interactivity this time around.

CaptNKILL
05-17-07, 04:23 PM
IW wasn't bad but it was no Deus Ex Sequel. I hope they focus more on RPG and interactivity this time around.
They really need to give the characters some personality. Every character in Deus Ex was just oozing with personality, both in the simple (yet well done) character graphics to the voice acting.

In IW, everyone was like a shiny plastic manikin that stood in awkward positions, giving blank stares and reading from scripts.

The story needs to be far less convoluted as well. IW jumped all over the place and honestly I don't even remember anything about it. I remember pretty much everything from Deus Ex though because it was well written.

Also they need to get a decent game engine this time. The one in IW was terrible. It probably finally runs decent on modern high end hardware, but I played the game about a year after it was released, on a 6800GT and it still ran like ass and didn't look that good.

Not porting it from a console would probably help too... in fact, if they do port it, I'm almost certain it will suck in the same ways as IW.

As far as the setting, I hope they do a prequel. I prefer the realistic modern setting of Deus Ex to the futuristic setting of IW... and as I said before, the story in IW was so crappy that there isn't any sense in adding on to it.

kevJ420
05-17-07, 05:09 PM
This time i guess nvidia gpus will be the best for it out of the box.

1st one ran only in glide out of the box, and the 2nd one came out of the box with issues on nv hardware, but Warren Specter had them patched better than almost any game in history.

Considering that, I think he has more energy than most developers, so I don't think the 3rd one is going to dissapoint.

|MaguS|
05-17-07, 06:03 PM
This time i guess nvidia gpus will be the best for it out of the box.

1st one ran only in glide out of the box, and the 2nd one came out of the box with issues on nv hardware, but Warren Specter had them patched better than almost any game in history.

Considering that, I think he has more energy than most developers, so I don't think the 3rd one is going to dissapoint.

The 2nd game is still ****ty to this day, are you ****ing stupid? Oh wait... you are...

As for the 1st, it was Direct3D.

CaptNKILL
05-17-07, 06:08 PM
As for the 1st, it was Direct3D.
It used glide too. It looked better in glide (16bit color) on my voodoo 3 than it did on my geforce 2.

I wonder if I can play the game with a glide wrapper just to see if it makes any difference in the visuals. :p

|MaguS|
05-17-07, 06:13 PM
Just use OpenGL now, I think all UT1 games supported it.

kevJ420
05-17-07, 06:59 PM

I had thought that it was a project never completed by someone out of Epic.

Also, to the previous poster, I emailed nvidia so we can suggest future drivers force 32 bit color when 16 bit is called for by an app.

I've always wanted to play pop3d in 32 bit color.

|MaguS|
05-17-07, 07:10 PM
Why would you want to play PoP3D?!?!

nutcrackr
05-17-07, 10:35 PM
invisible war still had the core gameplay in deus ex so if you could ignore some of the stupidness and just play through it you might get around to enjoy it. I'd buy a sequel if it was at least as good as invisible war.

jAkUp
05-17-07, 10:38 PM
I had thought that it was a project never completed by someone out of Epic.

Also, to the previous poster, I emailed nvidia so we can suggest future drivers force 32 bit color when 16 bit is called for by an app.

I've always wanted to play pop3d in 32 bit color.

But if the app is running 16bit textures, how would it matter?

RAY16
05-17-07, 10:49 PM

http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/

Namrok
05-18-07, 10:06 AM
It's dead to me. The first one was a classic, the second one, considerably less do. I couldn't care less about the third, especially with Warren out of the picture.

kevJ420
05-18-07, 12:11 PM
Why would you want to play PoP3D?!?!

B/c that **** had some long-ass draw distances.

Plus I never beat it.

Plus playing it in 32 bit color would make the water not all white and **** when swimming thru it (2nd level only).

kevJ420
05-18-07, 12:15 PM
But if the app is running 16bit textures, how would it matter?

Good question.

But I've heard ati does it so, I'd guess it'd work.

Sazar
05-18-07, 07:55 PM
IW, I guess if you've never played the first one, it's a below average game but compared to the classic game that the first was, the second SUCKS.

I really hope that they make this as if the 2nd game was never made. That would be the only proper continuation.

I don't understand how a team that made something as great as DX could come up with something as sucky as IW :(