PDA

View Full Version : MS finally banning modified consoles from Live

Pages : [1] 2 3

tornadog
05-17-07, 06:55 PM
So MS has finally got its act together and started banning users with modified consoles from Live.

http://majornelson.spaces.live.com/

Time to sell mine...lol

PeterJensen
05-17-07, 07:04 PM
Well the mod is only out to use pirated games so it's fine with me they are banning 'em.
Cry me a ****ing river.

tornadog
05-17-07, 07:07 PM
too bad they cant do anything to prevent offline play though.:P

shungokusatsu
05-17-07, 07:20 PM
too bad they cant do anything to prevent offline play though.:P
Or online :p

The sites with the games have already released a new firmware to bypass this issue.

Lyme
05-17-07, 07:44 PM
Wow, reading the comments.. so many people with moded xboxs threatening to buy ps3's. Good deal for MS, they make the money off game sales and not consoles.

evilchris
05-17-07, 08:12 PM
I like how "1337" all the punk ass pirates in nvnews think they are.

IS HAVE IlLEGAl COPie ANd GplASY GAme SDFor FRE EhEEHH EIm A HZ05r!~!!

evilchris
05-18-07, 01:44 AM
Oh get off your effin throne. You aren't King Sh/t of Turd Island, so pull your lips off MPAA/RIAA/WTFever's ass and STFU and stop acting like you are perfect.

I never said I was perfect. I have not ever stolen anything however which includes movies, games, music, tangible good in stores, you name it. I even report income that isn't reported to the IRS!

nrdstrm
05-18-07, 03:49 AM
I never said I was perfect. I have not ever stolen anything however which includes movies, games, music, tangible good in stores, you name it. I even report income that isn't reported to the IRS!

A) Your full of crap...I don't believe you've never downloaded a song and didn't pay for it...

B) If you REALLY havn't, have you ever listened to a song that has been pirated? I'm almost posative you have..

C) Has anyone ever burned you a CD or made you a mixtape? If so, you are pirating...

I don't agree with pirating either, but to say you have NEVER "stolen" anything is absurd in this day and age...If you listen to your friends "burnt" cd, then you are complicit with pirating....

For games, movies and music, there are legitimate reasons for doing this as well...Suppose you have a 4 year old in your house who tends to ruin CDs/DVDs/Games...You would want to back them up correct? Well if you do you are breaking the law....Sure your "allowed to make a copy of your own product" due to the fair use act...However, if you copy a CD (with copy protection), game or movie, you are breaking the law because due to the DMCA you are not allowed to break encryption. Do you see how far this has gone? It's insane...I for my part buy most everything I like, but to say I've never downloaded a tune is absurd....

Peoples-Agent
05-18-07, 04:49 AM
Well, if your willing to take the risk of running a modded Xbox then Microsoft have the right to defend their kit. It's fair game here.

Personally, I struggle to see any benefit of running a modded 360. You can join a games rental service for 15 a month and have unlimited rentals with two games at a time.

The cost of 8.5GB media aint all that cheap.

I seriously can't work out how piracy pays to any extent on this one.

I can understand modding an Xbox1 though, for use of XBMC which is awesome. That alone boosted sales no end, guaranteed. People still buy Xbox1s solely for that. Great piece of software, if something similar was available totally legit I would buy it.

BioHazZarD
05-18-07, 04:50 AM
Weird i thought they did this already some time ago.. glad i dont have mine flashed.

Peoples-Agent
05-18-07, 05:07 AM
And the latest news is, people without modded units are getting banned.
Great, way to go Microsoft.

Same people are offering to send back their machine for inspection, these were reconditioned units from MS own factories, but they refuse to do anything.

Imagine being banned for NO REASON.

Can't imagine what that must feel like. Know for a fact the competition will be rubbing their hands together at the prospect.

nekrosoft13
05-18-07, 07:52 AM
And the latest news is, people without modded units are getting banned.
Great, way to go Microsoft.

Same people are offering to send back their machine for inspection, these were reconditioned units from MS own factories, but they refuse to do anything.

Imagine being banned for NO REASON.

Can't imagine what that must feel like. Know for a fact the competition will be rubbing their hands together at the prospect.

that also was the case with first xbox

nekrosoft13
05-18-07, 07:53 AM
Well, if your willing to take the risk of running a modded Xbox then Microsoft have the right to defend their kit. It's fair game here.

Personally, I struggle to see any benefit of running a modded 360. You can join a games rental service for 15 a month and have unlimited rentals with two games at a time.

I can understand modding an Xbox1 though, for use of XBMC which is awesome. That alone boosted sales no end, guaranteed. People still buy Xbox1s solely for that. Great piece of software, if something similar was available totally legit I would buy it.

yap, my xbox haven't seen a game in over 2 years, i use xbmc on that thing almost daily. now i need to find a cheap PSP and will have a decent web-based xbmc remote ;)

ViN86
05-18-07, 10:24 AM
Oh get off your effin throne. You aren't King Sh/t of Turd Island, so pull your lips off MPAA/RIAA/WTFever's ass and STFU and stop acting like you are perfect.
Gib, i think i love you.

totally agree with this.

MS should be allowed to defend themselves. modding your 360 is obviously a risk. anyone who thought it wouldnt be a risk is foolish.

nekrosoft13
05-18-07, 10:30 AM

great post!

nekrosoft13
05-18-07, 10:33 AM
MS should be allowed to defend themselves. modding your 360 is obviously a risk. anyone who thought it wouldnt be a risk is foolish.

i will tell you this, the second xbmc gets released on 360, i'm going to the store to buy 360

while xbox and xbmc is amazing, it has certain limitations, like it won't playback 1080p content because of hardware limitations.

i just hope one day xbmc gets ported to 360, so i could get one for media center. other then that 360 is useless for me.

ENU291
05-18-07, 10:48 AM
Doesn't the 360 have Windows Media Center already? I know it only plays WMV and MP4 but it's something. Hopefully MS will come to their senses and support XVID.

evilghost
05-18-07, 10:53 AM
Pirates are worthless, I'm glad to see the dropping the ban-hammer on them. Shame there wasn't a firmware kill-bit that could just disable the XBox entirely. It's one thing to modify something for fair use it's another to modify it to steal games. Don't bother arguing that copyright infringement isn't theft because it is.

It's hard for me to grasp how theft is synonymous with being a 'l33t h4x0r'.

For the folks who think it's illegal to create a mix-tape please read the AHRA of 1992:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Home_Recording_Act

nekrosoft13
05-18-07, 10:56 AM
Doesn't the 360 have Windows Media Center already? I know it only plays WMV and MP4 but it's something. Hopefully MS will come to their senses and support XVID.

like you might know already, i had 360 for 3 weeks, and returned it to the store.

Windows Media Center extender in 360 is useless compared to XBMC.

Lyme
05-18-07, 11:58 AM
To shoot holes in your statements

A) Your full of crap...I don't believe you've never downloaded a song and didn't pay for it...

Do you have to pay for free music?

B) If you REALLY havn't, have you ever listened to a song that has been pirated? I'm almost posative you have..

The sony "Happy Birthday" is under copywrite (I'm serious), singing it, is a copywrite infringement.

C) Has anyone ever burned you a CD or made you a mixtape? If so, you are pirating...

That is only illegal in the USA, it isn't in Canada.

I don't agree with pirating either, but to say you have NEVER "stolen" anything is absurd in this day and age...If you listen to your friends "burnt" cd, then you are complicit with pirating....

If your friend downloads a pirated song, burns it to a cd, and your listening to it in the car with him/her.. does that make you a pirate?

For games, movies and music, there are legitimate reasons for doing this as well...Suppose you have a 4 year old in your house who tends to ruin CDs/DVDs/Games...You would want to back them up correct? Well if you do you are breaking the law....Sure your "allowed to make a copy of your own product" due to the fair use act...However, if you copy a CD (with copy protection), game or movie, you are breaking the law because due to the DMCA you are not allowed to break encryption. Do you see how far this has gone? It's insane...

Under legal challenge (yes, it costs too much) one of those laws would have to be overturned. You cannot be provided the right to make a copy as a backup and not have the right to make a copy as a backup. Yes, the legal system in the USA has gone insane. (I could rant for a while on that alone, but I'll resist). As for scratched discs for the 360 (produced by MS) http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/gameplay/discreplacement-program.htm

I for my part buy most everything I like, but to say I've never downloaded a tune is absurd....

Also, downloading a copywrited tune is not illegal in Canada. However, uploading one is. The law up here puts the penalty on the guy distributing pirated work, rather than the consumers (who generally have no idea).

However, back on topic. MS is IMO right on the money with banning modded 360's. Given that MS looses money on hardware sales, simply because someone is buying a 360 does not make money for MS. If people are pirating games, MS is loosing the traditional income for consoles. This is a good idea, of course it is a cat and mouse game at best. MS fills the holes, the pirates get around it, rinse, repeat.

For those who are claming that they do not have a moded console, there is a "EASY" way to find out/fix it. Simply go to http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/console/softwareupdates.htm and flash your system back to the "offical" firmware. If your 360 is still reporting as pirated, you've purchased a modded one.

evilghost
05-18-07, 12:01 PM
The sony "Happy Birthday" is under copywrite (I'm serious), singing it, is a copywrite infringement.

No, no it isn't. However, a public performance of the song for profit is. Singing it at a birthday isn't.

Where do people get these ideas from?

ViN86
05-18-07, 12:14 PM
No, no it isn't. However, a public performance of the song for profit is. Singing it at a birthday isn't.

Happy Birthday hasnt entered the public domain yet? (tbh i dont know the public domain laws with respect to music)

evilchris
05-18-07, 12:15 PM

the internets

LurkerLito
05-18-07, 01:45 PM

Actually any public performance that you don't pay a license fee to perform a song is copyright infringement, as long as the copyright owner is demanding a fee for it's use. It doesn't matter if it is or is not for profit. That is why if you play your own interpretation of songs by other artists (even for free) at a club or coffee house on an open mic night like thing, the business must pay a blanket licensing fee to some licensing body. If they don't and get caught when they do random sweeps, they are fined.

Singing happy birthday at a birthday party for your kids at home is not considered a public performance, though doing it at a restaurant could be.

For more info:
http://www.ascap.com/licensing/licensingfaq.html
http://www.ascap.com/licensing/termsdefined.html

DiscipleDOC
05-18-07, 02:00 PM

What's so hard to believe? I never have and never will.

What's you point? Are you talking about the radio? If you are, then how would you have prior knowledge that the song is pirated?

Not true. I make cd's from songs that are downloadable (free). There are plenty of artists that provide free songs.

Again, how can you tell if a song is pirated? Do you go and ask if your friend did something illegal? If I know that my friend is doing something wrong, I would tell him such. Just like if my friends were planning on robbing a bank, I would not hang around them then either.