PDA

View Full Version : Definitive method to end Vista disk thrashing?

Pages : [1] 2

Moo
05-17-07, 06:51 PM
Any definitive way to end the disk thrashing in Vista?

I have a laptop with 1 GB RAM.

Already done the following:

1. Using 1GB Readyboost flashdrive.

2. Enabled the Advanced Performance for Write Caching in harddrive properties.

3. Disabled hard drive indexing.

4. Under Power Options, selected "Power Saver" under Search and Indexing.

... still thrashes like a cheap biotch when compter is idling and resuming from sleep, with NO applications open.

I am an inch away from turning off SuperFetch.

Any suggestions?

:(

Dr.Nick
05-17-07, 07:01 PM
System Protection is pretty bad with disk activity. Disabling it, auto defrags, and windows defender took care of all my disk activity issues

|MaguS|
05-17-07, 07:11 PM
Disable Defender and SuperFetch, I did that and all the thrashing ended.

Dr.Nick
05-17-07, 08:36 PM
Superfetch does it's thing at boot -its worse with Readyboost- and doesn't really do much afterwards(at least after you've used your PC for a few days). It's benefits are nice so I don't recommend disabling it.
As for System Protection, every time I installed, uninstalled, moved, and modified any software it would be followed by a couple of minutes of intense and unnecessary disk usage. It drove me crazy

|MaguS|
05-17-07, 08:43 PM
I disabled SuperFetch and I noticed no performance difference once my PC is loaded...

Darkoz
05-18-07, 09:32 AM
Go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services
Disable Superfetch and Windows Search

jAkUp
05-19-07, 12:50 AM
Yea, Vista sure loves a fast HD. I even get thrashing sometimes in the middle of a game for no apparent reason... I have disabled everything besides superfetch, I will disable superfetch too and see what happens.

Redeemed
05-19-07, 02:26 AM
Wow. After disabling Superfetch and Windows Search my HDD has fallen completely silent. Holy crap, that fixed it. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

LOL

Your avatar always gives me the chills man. :p

|MaguS|
05-19-07, 07:42 AM
LOL

Your avatar always gives me the chills man. :p

Well a two legged horse should be put down...

Moo
05-19-07, 08:21 AM

Well it does look like a Chocobo... reminds me of the intro from Final Fantasy Tactics.

SwedX
05-19-07, 08:54 AM
Yea, Vista sure loves a fast HD. I even get thrashing sometimes in the middle of a game for no apparent reason... I have disabled everything besides superfetch, I will disable superfetch too and see what happens.
Exactly what have you disabled and any services ?
Would be nice to know :)

I have disabled indexing on my drives but not superfetch, maybe will try that out myself and see as I get some stuttering in Stalker even then I have 2 GB mem.
Yeah have disabled windows defender and windows search will disabled some services next.

grey_1
05-19-07, 09:06 AM
Exactly what have you disabled and any services ?
Would be nice to know :)

I have disabled indexing on my drives but not superfetch, maybe will try that out myself and see as I get some stuttering in Stalker even then I have 2 GB mem.
Yeah have disabled windows defender and windows search will disabled some services next.
I have superfetch and defender disabled, write caching and advanced enabled on the hdd, and mine is all but silent.

SwedX
05-19-07, 09:45 AM
I have superfetch and defender disabled, write caching and advanced enabled on the hdd, and mine is all but silent.

Same here write caching and advanced enabled on the HDD, forgot to say that and the dreaded UAC disabled to, okey it will not speed up the system but you will got more time to other stuff than click on 10 tusends windows just to install a driver or two.

I tested and disabled the Superfetch but it wont do much, its a great feature IMO and as one said its only in the boot it does its stuff!

|MaguS|
05-19-07, 09:50 AM
Once I disabled Superfetch all my thrashing stopped so it doesn't just do its work during boot...

SwedX
05-19-07, 09:56 AM
Once I disabled Superfetch all my thrashing stopped so it doesn't just do its work during boot...

Okey I see, maybe its how fast/big drive/programs you have couse for me it dident make any diffrence what I noticed.

Redeemed
05-20-07, 12:30 PM

NOOO! Leave my beloved Quarter Horse out of this! :p

LycosV
05-20-07, 04:59 PM
If you disable indexing/windows search won't you loose access to the search as you type start menu? Besides the index should only think like crazy untill it's indexed everything.

Peoples-Agent
05-20-07, 06:04 PM
What's the downside to disabling superfetch?

grey_1
05-20-07, 06:11 PM
What's the downside to disabling superfetch?
Not much on a reasonably new pc. I notice hardely any difference on my aging 4400.

Peoples-Agent
05-20-07, 06:17 PM
Not much on a reasonably new pc. I notice hardely any difference on my aging 4400.

So is there really much point in disabling it? lol

Would disabling it have a negative impact on intensive tasks such as video encoding do you think?

|MaguS|
05-20-07, 06:46 PM
So is there really much point in disabling it? lol

Would disabling it have a negative impact on intensive tasks such as video encoding do you think?

No Superfetch is suppose to load all the common apps you use when a computer first starts up so that it loads those programs quickly. If you use your PC for gaming or any large intensive applications then it shouldn't be used.

Peoples-Agent
05-20-07, 06:59 PM
So Superfetch is a bit crap really lol

Is that all it does? ....doesn't it offer enhanced memory usage / performance?

|MaguS|
05-20-07, 07:07 PM
No, its just for systems with low ram so they can act faster when loading commonly used programs. I can see no difference with it on or off other then my HD thrashing like crazy when its on.

Peoples-Agent
05-20-07, 07:25 PM
I've just canned Indexing, SuperFetch and Windows Search.

Wonder what that will do to performance.

|MaguS|
05-20-07, 07:32 PM
You will only noticed a performance difference with Indexing if you oftenly use the windows search function... I um... never do.