PDA

View Full Version : Is this a memory fault? Memtest thinks not.

Jon
05-18-07, 04:20 AM
After building myself a new Intel pc, I gave my previous AMD (3800+) PC to my brother. To clear off all my old junk, he's reformatted and tried to reinstall windows. But it always blue screens during the install:

Mostly IRQ less than or equal.
Sometimes just general stops.
1 CDFS blue screen
and 1 Paged in non paged fault

I've never had any problems with it during the year I had it, the only thing he's changed is the memory. He's now using 1 gig of corsair with the 2-2-2-5 timings.

I ran memtest overnight and no errors at all. But have tried around 15+ times to install windows and it always blue screens.

So my question is, even though memtest was 100% perfect, could this still be a ram related problem?

Subtestube
05-18-07, 07:11 AM
So my question is, even though memtest was 100% perfect, could this still be a ram related problem?

I believe so - I've had a ram fault before that Memtest never turned up, but StressPrime picked up within 20 minutes. I'd give that a try... or just see if you can find another ram stick to test.

XDanger
05-18-07, 04:55 PM
is that Memtest and not Memtest86?

t3hl33td4rg0n
05-18-07, 05:01 PM
You can try Prime95, it will probably pick it up. It used to pick up errors that memtest didnt get.

Starscream
05-18-07, 06:24 PM
is that Memtest and not Memtest86?

That's a good question. I've seen bad memory test fine in the MS Memtest for hours on end that immediately fails in Memtest86.

Jon
05-18-07, 07:48 PM
Thanks guys... picked up some nice ocz platinum... I don't want to jinx it but with the Corsair memory I couldn't even install windows. At the moment the OCZ has installed windows and SP2... looks good so far!

I thought Corsair was a decent brand! It was Corsair XMS Pro for future reference that appears to have caused the problem... and I seriously replaced every part in the PC except for the ram cause it passed memtest!

Banko
05-18-07, 09:47 PM
Well if you use MS Memtest there is an option that you can enable where it will behave just like memtest86.

Also in memtest86 one of the tests isn't enabled by default (test 5)

Just run that one it always is the most picky.