PDA

View Full Version : Half-Life 2: Black Box Canned!

Pages : [1] 2

|MaguS|
05-18-07, 10:42 PM
http://kotaku.com/gaming/valve-doesn.t-care-about-black-boxes/half+life-2-black-box-cancelled-261828.php

Seems that if you are a HL2 fan and want to buy Ep2, Portal and TF2 in the retail store you will be forced to rebuy HL2 and Ep1 aswell... or you can buy them all seperatly through Steam... your choice, physical box and dupes or buy what you want through Steam...

grey_1
05-18-07, 10:48 PM
That article is a little unclear..it almost sounds like I won't be able to get ep2 standalone retail?

If that's the case then valve is going seriously off track with their marketing schemes.

|MaguS|
05-18-07, 10:50 PM
Nope you wont, you need to buy the bundle to get Ep2 now... so if you own HL2 and Ep1 already you will get a second copy of each.

crainger
05-18-07, 10:55 PM
Bummer, ah well. Shouldn't be a huge problem to grab them off of Steam seperately.

WeReWoLf
05-18-07, 11:01 PM
That's a poorly planned strategy... i was looking forward to buying the black box.

superklye
05-18-07, 11:13 PM
that is ****ing retarded

RAY16
05-18-07, 11:15 PM
That's a poorly planned strategy... i was looking forward to buying the black box.

Not really, by doing this they probably hope it'll drive more purchases towards Steam since they will offer everything separately. Anybody that doesn't want a second copy of EP1 and HL2 will most likely by just what they need from Steam for a slightly lower price.

crainger
05-18-07, 11:18 PM
that is ****ing retarded

Remember when they screwed us with the DVD Collectors edition? 130AUD for a freaking t-shirt and 1/10 of a strategy guide! Oh and a DVD full of games too :D

nutcrackr
05-18-07, 11:24 PM
I lol at people who bought the CE, silver steam FTW.

I expect we will be able to purchase these games separately but at an increased price.

superklye
05-18-07, 11:25 PM
Remember when they screwed us with the DVD Collectors edition? 130AUD for a freaking t-shirt and 1/10 of a strategy guide! Oh and a DVD full of games too :D
God, don't remind me. What a joke.

stncttr908
05-18-07, 11:31 PM
Yeah, I'm afraid to see the price now. Probably $30 for TF2, $20 for Ep2, and $10 for Portal.

nekrosoft13
05-18-07, 11:34 PM
valve FTW

oh wait

Medion
05-18-07, 11:47 PM
I've heard so many bad things about Steam. I was on the fence about HL2 to begin with, but decided to not buy it just because of the hassle that is Steam.

Oh well, I'm not missing much, and Valve could care less about additional revenue.

nutcrackr
05-18-07, 11:56 PM
not missing out on much by not playing hl2 is the understatement of the century

Dr.Nick
05-19-07, 12:13 AM
Isn't EA the new publisher? If so it's totally understandable.

|MaguS|
05-19-07, 12:14 AM
Isn't EA the new publisher? If so it's totally understandable.

EA publishes the retail copy, Valve still controls the digital copy.

kevJ420
05-19-07, 12:15 AM
this kind of sucks left nut.

I imagine i now have to buy the three games on the dvd CE november 2004 disc again if i want to play them on my current system, based on what they're doing with these newest games.

On the other hand I'm a dumb ass b/c i don't remember my password.

$n][pErMan
05-19-07, 12:16 AM
If EA is the publisher I will never buy another Valve game again.... lol. Hell, I refuse to buy it anyway if I can't buy it stand alone in the store. Oh well, no loss really. The episode type games suck ass. I'll wait till Black Mesa comes out and enjoy that.

Toss3
05-19-07, 03:59 AM
So what happens to those who baught r600s with the black box bundle? I really don't mind paying for both as I've only played hl 2 thus far... :)

grey_1
05-19-07, 06:06 AM
Nope you wont, you need to buy the bundle to get Ep2 now... so if you own HL2 and Ep1 already you will get a second copy of each.
Yeah..I don't need any more coasters. I think I'm finally finished with valve.

Redeemed
05-19-07, 06:35 AM
So what happens to those who baught r600s with the black box bundle? I really don't mind paying for both as I've only played hl 2 thus far... :)

That's a good question. Either this is all FUD, or the black box will be exclusive to the R600 purchase.

Rakeesh
05-19-07, 06:58 AM
Not really, by doing this they probably hope it'll drive more purchases towards Steam since they will offer everything separately. Anybody that doesn't want a second copy of EP1 and HL2 will most likely by just what they need from Steam for a slightly lower price.

And I'll bet that if they wait around two months they'll be able to buy the second copy of EP1 and HL2 with EP2 for cheaper than what EP2 alone costs on steam.

Seriously, I waited something like a month after EP1 came out and bought it for $8 at circuit city. Meanwhile the steam users were proud of their 10% discount which made the game cost $18.

Steam will never touch the price that retail stores will sell it for. Retail stores commonly use games as loss leaders for sales events, and it is very profitable for them too.

I guess when EP3 comes out, we can buy a third copy of HL2. Yay 3 copies FTW.

Redeemed
05-19-07, 07:09 AM
And I'll bet that if they wait around two months they'll be able to buy the second copy of EP1 and HL2 with EP2 for cheaper than what EP2 alone costs on steam.

Seriously, I waited something like a month after EP1 came out and bought it for $8 at circuit city. Meanwhile the steam users were proud of their 10% discount which made the game cost $18.

Steam will never touch the price that retail stores will sell it for. Retail stores commonly use games as loss leaders for sales events, and it is very profitable for them too.

I guess when EP3 comes out, we can buy a third copy of HL2. Yay 3 copies FTW.

Actually, I'm aiming to get dual XTs in CrossFire. They come with a blackbox coupon. I'm sure I'll be able to get the black box set that way.

CaptNKILL
05-19-07, 08:46 AM
Wow this sucks ass. I really wanted that black box.

:(

Morrow
05-19-07, 08:49 AM
I just hope that there will an option to buy TF2 separately on steam because I'm not going to buy episode 2.