PDA

View Full Version : Not going back to city 17....

Rummy
05-18-07, 10:19 PM
Ep3 in pre-production. Seems like they need to finish Ep2

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=76518

crainger
05-18-07, 10:25 PM
Skeleton Crew? So that's what takes them so long! They don't feed them. Or is it because there is no food left ;) ;)

lightman
05-19-07, 05:53 AM
"ongoing development of Episode Two, which is nearing completion ahead of what Valve hopes will be an October release." ...

Now, wasn't the idea behind episodes to be able to put out smaller games faster, each one six or so months after the previous one ? Blah. Valve.

As much as I liked HL2 and Ep1, they're still a bunch of assholes.

nutcrackr
05-19-07, 05:56 AM
that was the idea, 6-12 months is what they talked about initially, now it's going to be 16 months since the first episode. I don't really think the episodic nature has made them work any faster either.

grey_1
05-19-07, 07:23 AM
Skeleton Crew? So that's what takes them so long! They don't feed them. Or is it because there is no food left ;) ;)
Nah. freeman's body is still in the lab X16 area. Just hasn't been found yet.

or he got turned into a snork.

crainger
05-19-07, 08:30 AM
Nah. freeman's body is still in the lab X16 area. Just hasn't been found yet.

or he got turned into a snork.

LOL, that was the best Easter Egg ever. Although I was sad Freeman is dead. He is one of my favourite characters. I hope his son Jacob is ok.

grey_1
05-19-07, 09:00 AM
LOL, that was the best Easter Egg ever. Although I was sad Freeman is dead. He is one of my favourite characters. I hope his son Jacob is ok.
Him and Alyx finally did it eh?

Redeemed
05-19-07, 02:27 PM
Him and Alyx finally did it eh?

Videos???

Toss3
05-19-07, 03:11 PM
Hmpf, the only reason there isn't any food left is because Gabe "the pig" Newell ate it all! :D

Videos???

Just do it with Gary's mod! ;)

ASUSEN7900GTX
05-19-07, 03:47 PM
naah theyīve got a bunch of spesial trained chimps doing the games now days, and i guess the crew who did HL2 is on bahamas or so and monitoring the chimps on theri progress thatīs why itīs taking such timn

:D

Elvin Presler
05-19-07, 05:05 PM
The idea for "episodes" is to sell 3 mini games for $60-90 instead of one complete game for $39.99-49.99. That and so they can just can it after the first episode if they want like they did with SIN Episode 1.

It's a huge crock of $h** if you ask me. I'll never buy an "episode" game, ever.

$n][pErMan
05-19-07, 06:18 PM
It's a huge crock of $h** if you ask me. I'll never buy an "episode" game, ever.
Yup. I am also done with the episode BS. I love Half-Life and HL2.. but I hope valve fails horribly with this episode crap so it does not catch on and ruin other games.

|MaguS|
05-19-07, 06:21 PM
[pErMan']Yup. I am also done with the episode BS. I love Half-Life and HL2.. but I hope valve fails horribly with this episode crap so it does not catch on and ruin other games.

Sam & Max is proof that it can be done properly.

CaptNKILL
05-19-07, 06:39 PM
Sam & Max is proof that it can be done properly.
This isn't really directed at you Magus, its just an observation I've made since the whole episodic thing started.

As much as I enjoyed the Sam and Max episodes, I'm not going to pretend that the amount of work is even CLOSE to what is required in a first person shooter like half-life 2. Especially given that an Episode of HL2 probably takes as long to complete as 2 or 3 sam and max episodes for the average user.

With Sam and Max, they basically had people design a few new scenes (which because of the art style are rather simplistic), write dialog and then make the scenes and record the dialog. In fact, the majority of the scenery and characters from the episodes were used in previous episodes.

With a game like HL2 they have so much more to take into consideration because of the amount of freedom the player has. The level design, AI (which sam and max doesn't even really have), new graphics features, sound engine, and physics (another thing sam and max doesnt even have) all have to work properly in every possible situation the player could put themselves in.

Comparing an episodic point and click adventure game (basically an interactive 3d comic strip, which is exactly what the game always was) to a cutting edge episodic first person shooter is just crazy.

I think valve could put these games out faster than they have been, but honestly I don't think they are doing that bad. I got a quite a bit of enjoyment out of HL2 Episode 1 as well as HL2. If Ep2 is at least as good I'll be happy. It isn't often that a company can release 3 GOOD single player action games in less than 3 years (remember, HL2 was released in fall of 2004), regardless of their length. In fact the only company that pumps games out that fast is EA, and we all know how much love they get for releasing games faster (basically milking their fan base with slightly modified rehashes of the same multiplayer game).

If valve pumped out mediocre episodes with 2 hours of gameplay every 6 months everyone would crap all over them for it as well as saying they are milking their fan base. Its better that they release solid products every year or year and a half to keep people interested while also releasing products they can be proud of.

NaitoSan
05-19-07, 06:46 PM
wtf so much negativity just because you're not getting it doesn't mean they need to meet your demand. they're the developers and you aren't. i rather have them take time to make it good and worth to play. also don't forget, ep2 is coming with team fortess 2 and portal unlike ep1.

i don't mind it being delayed. if you don't want to pay for what they're asking then wait until all eps in one dvd for one price.

ynnek
05-19-07, 06:49 PM
The new EP's have more freedom? HL2 felt like I was in one of those cattle slaughter channel, being forced to progress along one path with "fences" to keep me in.

CaptNKILL
05-19-07, 06:58 PM
The new EP's have more freedom? HL2 felt like I was in one of those cattle slaughter channel, being forced to progress along one path with "fences" to keep me in.
I meant freedom with regards to what the player can do.

In a point and click adventure game you either click on empty space in the level to move, you click on hot spots, you click on dialog options, you click on an item in your inventory or you use an item on a hot spot (by clicking). Thats IT as far as player interaction goes(given that, its impressive that they can make such an enjoyable game from something so simple).

It seems pretty obvious that any first person shooter is 1000 times more complex from the "What if the player does this..." standpoint.

ynnek
05-19-07, 07:00 PM
You ever played Nethack (http://nethack.org)? :)

I'd say, that game is more complicated than any FPS made so far.

six_storm
05-19-07, 08:54 PM
I'm going back through HL2 and finishing Episode 1 right now. I thought that Episode Two and Portal were going to be released around July/August? Anywho, Episode One was $20 so . . . it doesn't break the wallet too bad.

CaptNKILL
05-19-07, 09:32 PM
You ever played Nethack (http://nethack.org)? :)

I'd say, that game is more complicated than any FPS made so far.
Not sure what that has to do with sam and max or Half-Life 2 ( :o ), but yeah I've played it.

WeReWoLf
05-19-07, 09:42 PM
Well, Portal has been finished for quite some time now. Like nearly finished after Ep1 came out. They could have released it by now, standalone. I for one would have enjoyed that. Team Fortress 2 doesn't grab me, it looks far too idiotic and uninteresting, but that's my PoV. Millions of others probably will enjoy it.

crainger
05-20-07, 01:30 AM
If it plays like TFC then I'll be right into TF2. TFC was my game back in the day. Oh how I owned at it... I suck at all other online games though :(

Elvin Presler
05-20-07, 01:53 AM
Anywho, Episode One was $20 so . . . it doesn't break the wallet too bad.

Unless you consider to get the whole game (let's call it Half Life 3) in 3-4 "episodes" you will have paid $60-80 and waited like 3 years from the time you start the game and the time you are able to complete it...IF...they ever bother to finish it, for what should have cost you $39.99 or $49.99 and been a complete game you could play through at your leisure.

Episodes are nothing but a new method to raise the price of games by an enormous amount and scam free beta testing off you.

ASUSEN7900GTX
05-20-07, 04:34 AM
speaking of sam and max is there gonna be a dvd with all episodes or how can i get them since i donīt know how?

ASUSEN7900GTX
05-20-07, 04:36 AM
you mean i have to buy HL2 again to get EP2? and then again for EP3 thatīs weird who the hell wants 4 HL2īs Valve has gone $mad about making money insted of realising the epīs separate i donīt get it but then again mad men are hard to understand