PDA

View Full Version : Can't access the internet when connected wirelessly.

himura_drew
05-19-07, 09:42 AM
Hi guys!

I'm having a really strange problem with my wireless router (Dlink DI-634M Wireless MIMO router) which I intended to use to share a DSL connection wirelessly. I can connect ok to the wireless network, but I can't access the internet when I connect wirelessly. I'm pretty sure it's not a DNS problem because my internet connection works fine when I physically connect my laptop to the Dlink router via ethernet cable.

Here's the settings I use for my wireless router (if it helps any):

WIRELESS SETTINGS
Wireless Radio : On
SSID : ****
Channel : 11
Super G Mode : Disabled
Transmission Rate : Auto
802.11g Only Mode : Enabled
SSID Broadcast : Enabled
Security Mode : None

WAN SETTINGS
Please select the appropriate option to connect to your ISP: Static IP selected
IP Address : 192.xxx.x.xx
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway : IP address of router
MAC Address : (optional)
Primary DNS Server : 4.2.2.1
Secondary DNS Server : 4.2.2.1 (optional)
Link Drop Delay : 120 seconds
MTU : 1500

DHCP is also enabled and lease time is 1 Day and the Always Broadcast option set to Yes

I have 2 Dell laptops (Inspiron 670M and an XPS M1710) and a Benq Joybook which all have problems with wireless connections, but work well when wired to the Dlink router or the DSL modem.

Also, I set my DSL modem to router mode. And does it matter if I have a cordless phone in the same room (though it's not positioned near the Dlink router).

Can anyone please help out? Thanks!!

XDanger
05-19-07, 06:55 PM
Security Mode : None
apply AES NOW!!!!!!!!!! your neighbors/that guy in the car outside can connect to your network probably with no problems

I only know the basics ,
Use aes and set up the key on all machines
set your firewall to allow range 192.168.0.1- 192.168.0.4 (depending on number of active devices)

Is it a locked router or one not supplied by your isp?

Your phone is probably 2.4ghz so yes it does matter, change the channel from 11 to 1 maybe in the router config, but its still just a 0.03ghz variation

I have a 2.4ghz video sender and wireless phones , but no wireless problems at all.

Dazz
05-21-07, 03:08 AM
Connect to the router via wireless go start->run->type CMD-> type ipconfig-> if the ip address is 169.xxx.xxx.xxx then you are not connected correctly and can mean incorrect WEP/WPSK key.

It's not a DNS issue as it works via LAN and is not, it maybe a wireless signal but even then normally the connection will drop rather then stay connected but don't give web pages. Trying pinging web sites also, CMD-> ping www.bbc.co.uk as an eg.

himura_drew
05-23-07, 07:35 AM
Applied WPA-PSK encryption on my router. Removed it before because I thought it might be the one causing problems - but apparently it wasnt the culprit. :)

The strange thing is, I can ping the sites (like Google), but internet surfing is really problematic. Web surfing is real slow and access to some sites like Yahoo Mail and Gmail are spotty plus uploading attachments is really slow (I tried attaching a 10KB text file and my browser timed out).

Please help, I'm really bummed out by this problem - it's like I bought a wireless router which tured out to be useless anyway.

PS: Also, if it helps any, my DSL modem is proprietary to our ISP (or at least I think so - it's model number is PL-DSL1 with only the name of our ISP as the brand name) and I have it configured as router mode.

Kayden
05-23-07, 07:40 AM
Applied WPA-PSK encryption on my router. Removed it before because I thought it might be the one causing problems - but apparently it wasnt the culprit. :)

The strange thing is, I can ping the sites (like Google), but internet surfing is really problematic. Web surfing is real slow and access to some sites like Yahoo Mail and Gmail are spotty plus uploading attachments is really slow (I tried attaching a 10KB text file and my browser timed out).

Please help, I'm really bummed out by this problem - it's like I bought a wireless router which tured out to be useless anyway.

PS: Also, if it helps any, my DSL modem is proprietary to our ISP (or at least I think so - it's model number is PL-DSL1 with only the name of our ISP as the brand name) and I have it configured as router mode.

Can you ping google.com or just the ip for google? Whats your ping times like? Whats your signal strength?

Dazz
05-27-07, 04:57 PM
If you can ping IP and URL then could be the firewall profile, some firewall set profiles for diffrent connections, like wireless home, and LAN biz.

XDanger
05-27-07, 09:37 PM
Unless they charge you or they are lame, SOMETIMES its a good idea to call your isp and ask them.
Sometimes.