PDA

View Full Version : Games which deserves to be given a sequel or remake

Pages : [1] 2 3

Sectus
05-19-07, 10:10 AM
After playing some oldish games lately I've started to realize there's so many unique games which didn't really get the chance to truly evolve... while games such as Doom and Dune 2 became super popular and got the chance to evolve as a genre (and still are... so much I've personally grown tired of those genres), there are many other games with lots of potential which should have been given the chance to evolve instead of being completely forgotten.

So, what are longlost games or genres you people wish would return? Here's my personal list (beware, lots of biased subjective opinions here :p)

X-Com
One of my most favourite strategy games of all times. Fortunately, we did get to see some more similar games. Jagged Alliance 1 and 2 are great games. The X-Com series itself started extremely promising and peaked at Apocalypse but swiftly died afterwards. And since '99 the tactical turnbased genre has been pretty much dead. Silent Storm is perhaps the only significant turn-based tactical game since then, but that lacked the geoscape which made X-Com so much more interesting.

We've had a few recent games trying the same formula, although as far as I know none of them reaching up to the gameplay of the original X-Com (the new UFO series, UFO:ET and a few other games I've forgotten). Although, there's rumours that Irrational Games are working on a new X-Com game, and another developer is working on Jagged Alliance 3 with the Silent Storm engine, so all's not lost yet. Hopefully, some day people will try to develop a remake of X-Com: Apocalypse.

Anyone itching for X-Com-esque gameplay could try one of these modern games (or just reinstall one of the classics):
Laser Squad Nemesis (made by the same people who made the original X-Com... it's a multiplayer tactical quasi-turnbased/realtime game. Unfortunately it has a monthly subscrition payment system)
Silent Storm (plus Sentinels addon)
UFO series (Aftermath, Aftershock)
UFO: Extraterrestrials

Myth
In my opinion, the RTS genre is the most stale genre in existance. Since C&C and Warcraft 2 there's been just about zero progression or innovation within the genre. Myth was one of the few games which would be technically defined as an RTS, but the similarities ended there (there's not even any base building or resource management *gasp*). The game is extremely unique and fun to play, and it got an amazing sequel as well. But then Bungie became assimilated by Microsoft, and Take 2 got all rights for Myth. We did get a rather average Myth 3 made by a relatively unknown developer, but since then Myth has been dead. And I haven't seen a similar game since. I hope Master Chief rots in hell.

Prince of Persia
You may ask why I'm listing this since we did get a modern trilogy based on Prince of Persia. Well, that's because I think the modern trilogy pretty much threw away everything which made Prince of Persia unique within the platforming genre. Prince of Persia (and other similar platformers like Flashback, Blackthorne and Bermuda Syndrome) could easily be identified by its realistic fluid character animations, "step-based" movement system and an emphasis on puzzles.

While most platformers are extremely linear and focusses the challenge on twitch based mechanics (such as getting pixel-perfect timing for jumps), Prince of Persia and other games were more puzzle-based (although the fighting systems tended to be purely based on timing with a minor strategy element... in the regard of swordfighting, that makes sense and works well). Pixel-perfect jumping wasn't necessary because of the step-based movement system, as long as you started to jump within 1 tile away from the edge you'd be fine (why modern platformers aren't doing this is a mystery...).

So, in Prince of Persia the primary challenge was based on exploring the levels and solving all the mini-puzzles of how to traverse each room.

I'd love to see a PoP-esque game in 3D. I don't think Tomb Raider or the new Prince of Persia games could be seen as a worthy successor. The closest I've played to as being PoP in 3D is probably ICO... but that game was much too short and easy.

Covert Action
In his early days I'd say Sid Meier could easily been regarded as a genius. He made Pirates, Railroad Tycoon, Civ and other games with completely unique and fun gameplay (someone should kick his ass for not making as unique games any more). I'd say the gem of all his old games and definitely the most underrated one is Covert Action. Play as a government spy to try to investigate and reveal the plots of organized criminals. The game is completely dynamic (as with almost all old Sid Meier games) so each plot is unique. This game is so unique it could easily have evolved into its own genre, but as far as I know no similar game has ever been created. This is definitely one of humanity's biggest sins... why hasn't Sid Meier or anyone else remade this yet?

-----

There are lots of other games I could list (Magic Carpet, Castles, Syndicate, Colditz, etc), but the above games are the primary ones I think really needs a sequel/remake.

Mr_LoL
05-19-07, 10:15 AM
AVP 2. What a great FPS that was. Still play it today.

ATI_Dude
05-19-07, 10:15 AM
I'd like to see remakes of:

1. Deus Ex
2. Thief
3. Thief 2
4. System Shock
5. System Shock 2

Using Unreal Engine 3 :captnkill:

Sazar
05-19-07, 10:53 AM
Half Life.

Still my fav game (bar none) today :D

The original's AI and puzzles and sheer fun factor have not been touched by anything recently. Can't wait for the black mesa project but would have loved a proper fix by Valve for it.

grey_1
05-19-07, 11:14 AM
-Blood-

-AVP2-

-System Shock 2- (still haven't played it)

Riptide
05-19-07, 11:17 AM
Star Flight.

Mr. Hunt
05-19-07, 11:33 AM
The original Legacy of Kain... but I would want it to be remade with the same gameplay, just new graphics and some added stuff... if it had a over the shoulder cam I would cry forever.

methimpikehoses
05-19-07, 12:10 PM
master of orion

Did you play Galactic Civs 2? That's pretty MoO-esque.

I would like to see:

-Wing Commander

-a new MLB game like MVP Baseball

-Oblivion

Capt. Picard
05-19-07, 12:31 PM
Larry ... using a proper 3D engine.

|MaguS|
05-19-07, 12:37 PM
System Shock 2
Drakan 2
Disrupter

Moo
05-19-07, 12:43 PM
Ultima

Wizardry

Wasteland

System Shock

Bard's Tale

Star Control

Yea, the golden age of RPGs...

KasuCode
05-19-07, 01:07 PM
Diablo 2

Tygerwoody
05-19-07, 01:24 PM
Diablo 2
Diablo 2

and EQ1 deserves a sequel as well :D

nV`andrew
05-19-07, 01:30 PM
Star Wars: KotOR series

Bicka
05-19-07, 02:01 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/14/prince-of-persia-classic-on-xbla-what-no-turban/

Well that's one game on your list...as long as you have a xbox360 ;)

jAkUp
05-19-07, 02:51 PM
Paperboy 2 sequel :D

LT.Schaffer
05-19-07, 03:02 PM
Syndicate Wars
Star Wars Dark Forces 1
Serious Sam First&Second Encounter
AVP 1
Myst 1
Need For Speed Hot Pursuit

kevJ420
05-19-07, 04:32 PM
Syndicate Wars
Star Wars Dark Forces 1
Serious Sam First&Second Encounter
AVP 1
Myst 1
Need For Speed Hot Pursuit

Myst 1 was remade, iirc.

AVP 1 did have a remake. The pc version was the remake.

Arachnid
05-19-07, 04:37 PM
A sequel to Riddick would be awesome. :jumping:

kevJ420
05-19-07, 04:41 PM
I'd want a Super Metroid remake, and it could cleverly be called Metroid 3, since it's the 3rd game in the series, and b/c Super Metroid refers to itself as Metroid 3 in the cool ass intro.

However, if and only if the franchise was purchased from Nintendo and the whole original development team did it (which is impossible) and it was for the ps3 (or ps2) only.

Yes I know this post was stupid, but it's from me.

nekrosoft13
05-19-07, 05:02 PM
riddick
mafia
vampire bloodlines
blood
Undying
Baldurs Gate
Kingpin
no one lives forever

Aphot
05-19-07, 05:21 PM
Interstate 76
Redneck Rampage
:D

muaddib
05-19-07, 06:30 PM
Sequels to Mafia (!!!!!!!!!), Riddick (not a remake), Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Giants: Citizen Kabuto, F.E.A.R, Hostile Waters, Battlezone, Max Payne (!!!!!+), Painkiller, Act of War, Far Cry; A new entry in the following series: Homeworld, Soldier of Fortune, Commandos (a proper one. The previous gives still gives me nightmares), Red Alert, Worms (a 2d, vintage one), N.O.L.F.

There are more, and that's PC only. In consoles there are a lot more...

SignorSalad
05-19-07, 08:03 PM
Hear Hear for myth. Where else but bungienet could you play regular matches with Bungie employees, like Butcher, My Modem is on Fire, Case, Ferrex, and Manus Celer Dei (well maybe not so much Manus Celer Dei).

Hambone
05-19-07, 08:06 PM
Dungeon Keeper.
I think I could safely say that game to this day has the best "announcer" voice ever recorded. Going FPS in your Dungeon with modern graphics would be a treat.

Freespace, Xwing/TieFighter, Wing Commander...... It's been many years since a good space fighter game has been released. And, that one from Microsoft a couple of years ago (forget the name) was pretty good but missed the mark with it's crappy simplistic (mouse) controls. There use to be a point to having a sweet high end joystick on your desk at all times.... but those days are long gone.