PDA

View Full Version : uh..... help my poor superior agp system

Pages : [1] 2 3

05-19-07, 12:53 PM
Ok, I recently upgraded my system and changed to a new Thermaltake Tower. Everything went fine, system was working great for a day and a half. Then out of nowhere last night the system shut down in the middle quick late night game of bf 1942, and then it started continuously reboot after that. :(

I have eliminated Memory, XFX (nana2) 7950GT AGP (lee63) Video Card (Thankfully) as possible issues.

Hard drive I am pretty sure is ok as I tried another working one and have the same problem. I now have it to where it just hangs after the bios at start, rather then even trying to enter XP and rebooting. :cool:

I checked the Bios and I think I found the issue, under PC Health status it has 3 V Core readings,

+3.0 Volts reads 3.338 Volts and isn't moving

+5.0 Volts is in the 4.xx range and moving around

+12.0 Volts is in the 11.xx range and moving around

I believe the reading over the 3.0 Volts in the bios is the source of the problem, anyone know what that is and what it means. :D

05-19-07, 01:07 PM
Is this a sign of a CPU problem? and if so why I am even able to boot the bios?

05-19-07, 01:29 PM
Ok so I think the 3.3v may be the video card. Apparently a 3.3v video card may have fried Carl 3.0v As Rock Weathers Motherboard AGP. Wow that sucks. :rolleyes: I will try a Ti4600 card now, I hope I fried the motherboard and not the video card. :cool:

05-19-07, 01:35 PM
Same problem with ti 4600, if the AGP on a motherboard is fried could that prevent the system from booting? :retard:

Jon
05-19-07, 02:17 PM
I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along. But constantly rebooting is usually a power supply problem. Also, I think the 3v line is just fine especially if its stable. But I believe at 4v the 5v line is way below spec! The 12v line is also low...

You can boot into the bios cause nothing is running under stress/needing a lot of volts at that time.

I believe a new psu of good brand would help... but you can probably test this theory by relieving some volts off the 12/5v lines (temp disconnect extra fans, cdroms, etc).

$n][pErMan
05-19-07, 02:31 PM
Its so supirior it does not work right... :udawg:

haha.. could not help it. Its probably a Power Supply issue... if your 12v rail is reading 11.xx volts it is under heavy stress.

Madpistol
05-19-07, 02:40 PM
PSU can't hold the load, so it reboots. That sounds resonable

Looks like it's time to get another PSU.

05-19-07, 02:53 PM
Ah, I though it was bad to be over the volt and it just the opposite. I will try things without some of the extras that came with the case. Also put in a ti4600 to reduce power strain.

So far I have eliminated Hard Drive, Memory, Video Card as problems. WIll see what happens with power supply test now.

05-19-07, 03:41 PM
Wow power supply is not the issue, only powering the mb. processor DVD and hd which it was easlity doing in other tower and same problems. Trying system with old memory now, maybe one of the ddr2 memory slots is bad on the motherboard.
edit: alright i'm getting somewhere now, booting with old memory, now it running a recovery chkdsk.

Question now is how do I determine whether the problem is one of the memory sticks, or the DDR2 slots on the motherboard itself? I am using the DDR1 slots right now and system is working, Carl As Rock Weather Motherboards both DDR1 & DDR2 dual channel slots and I had just upgraded memory. :D

05-19-07, 04:15 PM
Wow, holy crap, I got to a windows recovery disc, it detected my Hard drive, I cleared all partitions but only half the original space is available, 130 gigs rather then 250. Is this a sign of a wiped out hd? :(

Also I was reading that memory can be damaged by lack of power, so maybe it's all related, the power supply and the memory now suddenly bad. :(

Wow it like everything has crapped. :|

According to this I need new memory, hard drive and power supply, I never seen a system lose all this at once. :retard:

grey_1
05-19-07, 04:47 PM
I'm leaning towards psu also. You may have a bad psu, as opposed to an overloaded psu.

But checking the ram is fairly easy, different sticks in different slots til you narrow it down, best if you can borrow known good ram from someone though.

Jon
05-19-07, 05:12 PM
I believe windows xp only recognises 130gig max pre service pack 1 (or was it 2?). Anyway, once the service pack is installed the other 100+ gigs will be recognised!

Also, have just had a computer that hated the memory I bought for it. It blue screened all the time... didn't reboot at all.

With minimum parts connected, what are the voltages in the bios now?

05-19-07, 05:18 PM
I'm leaning towards psu also. You may have a bad psu, as opposed to an overloaded psu.

But checking the ram is fairly easy, different sticks in different slots til you narrow it down, best if you can borrow known good ram from someone though.

Yhea I'm already past that, I had two DDR1 dimms that I put in and the system booted, the problem then was when I used the XP CD it detected the HD but the partition was unrecognizable and the HD lost over 60% of it's capacity. I am reformatting the remaining disc space and see if I could put in in a second system I have to see if partition magic can figure it out. I don't understand why my HD was screwed up and lost over 60% of it's capacity, though I did stupidly use a magnetic ended screwdriver when I moved the HD to the new tower, but it was working fine all day yesterday. :retard:

So my running theory is that I screwed up the HD with the nagnetic screwdriver, and at the same time my 500w power supply was not enough for the new thermaltake tower with all the led's and extra fans, and the reduced power to the new DDR2 fried the memory as well, so the HD and the Memory were ruined at the same time, and I need a new power supply as well. :clap:

05-19-07, 05:24 PM
I believe windows xp only recognises 130gig max pre service pack 1 (or was it 2?). Anyway, once the service pack is installed the other 100+ gigs will be recognised!

Also, have just had a computer that hated the memory I bought for it. It blue screened all the time... didn't reboot at all.

With minimum parts connected, what are the voltages in the bios now?

ah that would be great news, I'll check now with volts

05-19-07, 05:28 PM
Voltage pretty much the same as it was, maybe in the 11.2 to .3 now where it was .5 to .7 with everything connected and the 7950GT card.

Going to try the DDR2 memory one more time with the hd reformatted. see if system boots to install disc

YES, new memory crashed at boot, then I checked bios and apparently when I updated the motherboard bios last night, and it required the default settings, those setting didn't work with the new memory, had to correct the bios settings and memory is fine. So hard drive and memory are fine and computer is running again.

Now it hits me that I had to reformat my hard drive. :(

Something happed though as the partition had an error when I ran system cd so I had to reformat. I think it was when I updated the motherboard bios and it screwed up the default settings it caused the whole thing. :(

Oh well, at least Carl AS ROCK (nana2) Weathers and my XFX (nana2) 7950 GT AGP (lee63) card are on the road to domination once more. :cool: Thanks everyone for the help, the suggestions helped me figure out the actual problem and also realize my hd was still working. :cool:

$n][pErMan
05-19-07, 07:20 PM
Damn.. for a second you almost had to ditch your HW and go to a superior PCI-E system... ;)

05-19-07, 07:26 PM
[pErMan']Damn.. for a second you almost had to ditch your HW and go to a superior PCI-E system... ;)

NEVER! (lee63) Especially now that AGP will eventually support high end DX10. :cool:

System is running 100%, only problem now is I have to reinstall everything. better then having to buy all the hardware first though :D :cool:

$n][pErMan
05-19-07, 10:38 PM
NEVER! (lee63) Especially now that AGP will eventually support high end DX10. :cool:

System is running 100%, only problem now is I have to reinstall everything. better then having to buy all the hardware first though :D :cool:
Well I would not say high end.... they are still budget cards but I guess if you are not running at super high resolutions or playing with the highest of settings and are not looking for 60+ FPS then I guess it will work. I don't see why one would not switch seeing as the price of PCI-E is so much cheaper now and the performance is so much better... but to each his own I guess.

05-19-07, 10:47 PM
[pErMan']Well I would not say high end.... they are still budget cards but I guess if you are not running at super high resolutions or playing with the highest of settings and are not looking for 60+ FPS then I guess it will work. I don't see why one would not switch seeing as the price of PCI-E is so much cheaper now and the performance is so much better... but to each his own I guess.

With my 512mb AGP (lee63) 7950GT all settings are maxed and everything is flawless, and I expect nothing less from high performance DX10 AGP :cool:

$n][pErMan
05-20-07, 12:09 AM
With my 512mb AGP (lee63) 7950GT all settings are maxed and everything is flawless, and I expect nothing less from high performance DX10 AGP :cool:
On what games and at what resolution? Also, does that include AF and AA? If so what are those set at?

05-20-07, 12:31 AM
[pErMan']On what games and at what resolution? Also, does that include AF and AA? If so what are those set at?

The newest game I have is Battlefield 2142, max settings, 1600 x 1050, 2x AA, Application AF :cool:

Redeemed
05-20-07, 12:38 AM
The newest game I have is Battlefield 2142, max settings, 1600 x 1050, 2x AA, Application AF :cool:

Why don't you run the DX10 Lost Coast demo at 1680x1050, 8xAA, 16xAF, all in game options maxed. Let us know how that goes. :p

05-20-07, 12:41 AM
Why don't you run the DX10 Lost Coast demo at 1680x1050, 8xAA, 16xAF, all in game options maxed. Let us know how that goes. :p

I'm sure I could do more then 2xAA Application AF, but everything looks perfect already so I leave room for superior AGP to breath. :cool: Most DX10 games will support the superior DX9 for at least the next two years as well. By the time most games will require DX10, they'll be selling high end DX13 cards probably. :D

Redeemed
05-20-07, 12:47 AM
I'm sure I could do more then 2xAA Application AF, but everything looks perfect already so I leave room for superior AGP to breath. :cool: Most DX10 games will support the superior DX9 for at least the next two years as well. By the time most games will require DX10, they'll be selling high end DX13 cards probably. :D

You obviously have no clue what you are talking about.

Download the Lost Planet demo. Take if for a spin- let's see how it runs on this "Superior" rig of yours. Post screenis to show your awesome and out of this world performance.

C'mon- let's see what your rig has.

05-20-07, 12:48 AM
You obviously have no clue what you are talking about.

Download the Lost Planet demo. Take if for a spin- let's see how it runs on this "Superior" rig of yours. Post screenis to show your awesome and out of this world performance.

C'mon- let's see what your rig has.

I will try your DX10 title eventually sir but I have a lot of other stuff to reinstall first. :D