PDA

View Full Version : Page File and Vista

breathemetal
05-19-07, 03:49 PM
I have 4 gbs of memory (check sig), and my page file is defined by the system, i have yet to play with it.

When i first boot up the system, it says im using 755 mbs of it in the task manager.

Is that too high? What should i do to lower it?

Banko
05-19-07, 05:11 PM
Well the reason it is using that much is due to prefetch.

Since you have 4 gigs of ram, I would leave prefetch on though.

breathemetal
05-19-07, 05:41 PM
What would happen if i turned it off?

|MaguS|
05-19-07, 06:05 PM
It could cause problems with software that requires it, like Photoshop.

radekhulan
05-20-07, 05:02 AM
When i first boot up the system, it says im using 755 mbs of it in the task manager.

Is that too high? What should i do to lower it?

You don't have to care about it. I have 4GB of RAM and after complete bootup Vista Ultimate x64 takes about 1.2GB of RAM. It preloads a lot of stuff via SuperFetch, runs indexing, and many services. It makes consequent app launches immediate, and offers a lot of "goodies".

If you really want, you can disable some of them, but I think it is absolutely unnecessary, as Vista memory management is smart, and frees memory as needed. I can run Outlook 2007, Live Messenger, Word 2007, Fedora Core 6 linux OS under VMWARE Player, and launch Lost Planet demo at the same time, and memory usage does not go above 70%.

http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

// EDIT as you have Vista x86, you cannot use all 4GB of RAM, but rather 3.2GB (or so).

SlieTheSecond
05-20-07, 09:04 AM
With 32 bit windows you get around 3.2GB of memory.

With 64 bit windows you can get around 128GB I think of memory.

breathemetal
05-20-07, 09:31 PM
What would be the "cons" of switching to the 64 bit version?

All i mainly do is game, download (via utorrent), watch dvd's, surf the web, and run photoshop, adobe audition, word 2007 (sometimes outlook), and various other apps.

|MaguS|
05-20-07, 09:36 PM
What would be the "cons" of switching to the 64 bit version?

All i mainly do is game, download (via utorrent), watch dvd's, surf the web, and run photoshop, adobe audition, word 2007 (sometimes outlook), and various other apps.

Nothing then, Most of those apps are 64bit compatible. Gamers are the ones who should be careful about switching to 64bit.