PDA

View Full Version : how much of a difference w/ gold finished dvi ports?

kevJ420
05-19-07, 04:27 PM
I've always wondered about this.

I'm not sure if it's a gimmick or not.

I'd assume that due to the fact that dvi is digital, silver vs gold wouldn't make a difference, but I can't be sure, so I'd really appreciate any answers.

[Note: Inno3d's i*chill series have gold plated dvi connectors, for example.]

jAkUp
05-19-07, 05:08 PM
More of a gimmick than actually useful.

But with that being said, I have a monster DVI cable that costs about $100.

Why? Just cause.lol

RussianHAXOR
05-19-07, 05:30 PM
Haha, im with Jacob on this... Monster Cables are better cables, but the gold plating doesn't really do much...especially when its thin plating because it will just wear away.

buffbiff21
05-19-07, 10:28 PM
I use only Monster cables for my guitar equipment.

They have better shielding and internals than a cheapie cable would, and as a result carry a signal strongly and more efficiently.

WIth DVI (digital stuff..), it makes no difference. But with audio signals being carried it does.

Lemur.fi
05-20-07, 06:36 AM
Gold finish means very little even with analog signals. It is more of a symbol of quality than anything else. It does give protection against oxidation but a low quality cable with gold finish connectors is still a low quality cable.

But hey, if you store one of those Inno3d cards in a potato cellar for a few years, then atleast the connectors will still be in a good shape. The rest of the card might not be. ;)

buffbiff21
05-21-07, 02:34 AM
Gold finish means very little even with analog signals. It is more of a symbol of quality than anything else. It does give protection against oxidation but a low quality cable with gold finish connectors is still a low quality cable.

"very little" when running a 100ft cable from guitar --> amplifier can mean "very lot." you may get noise interference and weakened signal strength.. are the cables worth the price in these scenarios? probably.

stncttr908
05-21-07, 12:22 PM
High-end cables for digital signals are stupid buys. The data either gets there or it doesn't. ;)

SLippe
05-23-07, 03:23 AM
Isn't Gold more conductive as well? Just quality overall. I have one USB cable with Gold connectors.

Rakeesh
05-23-07, 03:39 AM
A $10 DVI cable is every bit as good as a $100 one. That is all you really need to know.

Nv40
05-23-07, 04:06 AM
How about VGA cable?

My monitor didnt came with DVI cables ,just VGA . Does anyone have seen real diferences between each one on your favorites movies or games? Do i need to switch ?

Lemur.fi
05-23-07, 02:14 PM
"very little" when running a 100ft cable from guitar --> amplifier can mean "very lot." you may get noise interference and weakened signal strength.. are the cables worth the price in these scenarios? probably.

So you throw away good cables as soon as you notice wear on the gold finish? I personally wouldn't. The signal is just as good, with or without the gold, provided that the contact is still tight enough and the connectors are clean.

You should be looking at the impedance and shielding instead of glitter.

Nv40:
If you mean using a DVI cable instead of a VGA cable with an LCD monitor, then yea, use a DVI cable. The extra noise does not come from the cable but there is extra D/A and A/D signal conversions when using the analog cable. The difference is not necessarily huge depending on the quality of the converters but it is noticeable when comparing two monitors side by side.

DRen72
05-23-07, 03:12 PM
DVI is digital...cable quality is less important. If the signal gets there it will work fine.

VGA is analog ...cable quality and shielding is much more important here.

ynnek
05-23-07, 05:45 PM
for DVI - you have to worry more about the cable when you start going long distances.. If I remember, the standard DVI spec is 5 meters. Anything after that, you technically should use a repeater.

However, different devices output signals at varying power levels. From what I read, usually most devices output a signal strong enough to go further. I use a 7 meter cable for my DVI-D, 1680x1050 and it looks perfect. My computer is located outside of my office.

I'm with lemur.fi.. You should be looking at the impedance and shielding instead of glitter. Don't get sucked into the hype.

DRen72
05-24-07, 09:27 AM
...I use a 7 meter cable for my DVI-D, 1680x1050 and it looks perfect. My computer is located outside of my office.

Do you have a remote starter too? :)

ynnek
05-24-07, 11:49 AM
Do you have a remote starter too? :)

Lol! Sometimes I'm tempted to get an external dvd drive to put by my desk.. But I rarely swap cd/dvd's.. PLus those enclosures would add noise by my ears, which I'm obviously trying to avoid.

With all the cables running through the side and out of the room, it looks like the borg is assimilating this part of the house..

1 dvi cable
4 3.5mm audio cables
2 TRS audio cables
2 usb cables
1 network cable
1 firewire cable

evilghost
05-24-07, 12:59 PM
Unless you've got a gold connector on the actual device you're connecting to what's the point? I LOL at the 'Monster' power cables; evidently the aluminum power lines coming into your service/meter aren't good enough?

swaaye
05-24-07, 03:56 PM
The gold plating is almost entirely there for corrosion resistance. It's also bling, and obviously people notice that. That gold is even pretty darn cheap for the manufacturer.

If you REALLY want a low resistance connection, you don't use a connector at all. You grab some silver solder and solder the wires to the circuit. Connectors are always a major source of resistance.

einstein_314
05-24-07, 07:04 PM
The gold plating is almost entirely there for corrosion resistance. It's also bling, and obviously people notice that. That gold is even pretty darn cheap for the manufacturer.

If you REALLY want a low resistance connection, you don't use a connector at all. You grab some silver solder and solder the wires to the circuit. Connectors are always a major source of resistance.
What he said ^^

The gold is there for resistance to corrosion. It's actually less conductive than the regular connectors.

evilghost
05-24-07, 09:12 PM
Bi-metals or non-like metals can actually cause corrosion, remember the tin vs gold issues back in the day of the 30-PIN RAM?

mynakedrat
05-24-07, 09:55 PM
crosstalk and chatter still happen even in digiatl movement of data.
regardless of "audio" gold connectors are softer and conduct better- less noise
plus most of the cables also have better shielding against emf modulation and severe rf interference and back wash from the voltage signal as it hit s the tv and harmonics bouce back through the cable. so highest shielding possible and gold connectors will give you a long lasting, great, noise free picture. other cable will work, but they will have occasional blips and artifacts in the transmission of data, especially around stero equip and dvd player/blu ray players/xbox power cables. all thos can destroy and degrade digital signal as well. it isnt get ther or not idea. all the is based on packets and packet loss like a huge high bandwidth swith. stuff can be lost , but it is reassembled if you have good equipment and less distortion and blockyness/fuziness/ odd colors and artifacts will occur :)
i am a gamer and a touring muscian, and those two together will be enough to know i have tried cheap solutions , which do work, but it gets bad really fast.

and if you put it in the basement---gold tarnishes really fast and is really soft also. it will get discolored and corrode slightly, like copper or silver or even platinum... now those would be good connectors and shielding.