PDA

View Full Version : EVGA 8800 GTS and blue/orange/random colored screen crashes

la7eralus
05-19-07, 05:50 PM
So I recently built a new pc:

Shuttle SN27P2 Athlon 64(FX)(X2) Barebone System

AMD ADA5400CZBOX Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 5400+ Socket AM2

OCZ OCZ2P800R22GK 2GB Kit DDR2 PC2-6400 Platinum Revision 2 Dual Channel Memory

EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express Video Card w/Dual-DVI, HDTV-Out

2x Seagate Barracuda ES ST3250620NS 250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200RPM Hard Drive w/16MB Buffer

That being said, while playing World of Warcraft, and ONLY that game, I get random freezes, sometimes every 5 min, sometimes only once a day. The weird part, is that i know the computer doesnt COMPLETELY freeze because if im playing music, it continues playing fine, however the screen will turn a solid color and i have to hard shutdown/restart to alleviate the problem. Ive seen solid blue screens, orange screens, grey screens, green screens, the color and shade the screen turns seems to be totally random.

Im currently using the 158.22 drivers, about to try the beta 160.03. So far i have also updated my mobos bios, the nforce software on my pc, and tried the origional drivers that came with the card. Still, to no effect.

My video bios version is: 60.80.0a.00.01
My irq is: 16

The video card is NOT overclocked, and once again, this only seems to happen in WoW, never any other time. Im running out of ideas =/

Anyway like i said im about to try the new beta drivers after running driver cleaner, i can only pray it makes a difference, otherwise i cant help but feeling like i flushed $1700 down the drain b/c i cant play the game i build this computer for =/

Any ideas would be AWESOME!!!

TYVM in advance!

RussianHAXOR
05-19-07, 06:13 PM
Kinda like this...?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/JEWISHMAFIA/callofduty2.jpg

la7eralus
05-19-07, 06:36 PM
Nope, the screen is a solid color, whatever color it happens to randomly be. So ie, solid yellow, solid green, etc.

Also, i just tried the new 160.03 beta drivers...2 min and wow and i got a yellow screen =*/

RussianHAXOR
05-19-07, 06:41 PM
Have you tried down clocking the videocard? Is there anyway you can do this?

Also try using one stick of memory at a time...

la7eralus
05-19-07, 06:59 PM
Ok well i just read on the wow forums that some people manually entered the voltagr and memory timings for their ram in the bios and this fixed their issues, so i set my timing to 4-4-4-15 like the ram is advertised at and the voltage to 2.0. Running wow now, hopefully this fixes it but for some reason i have a feeling it wont.

Ill post back with the results as they become apparent.

la7eralus
05-19-07, 07:19 PM
well, 10 min bug free in wow, then black screen.

=/

Upon restarting, i received the following:

Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)

RussianHAXOR
05-19-07, 07:25 PM
Yep, sounds like a vidoecard driver. I would download driver cleaner pro and remove your old drivers in safemode and then i would install the newest drivers available that are WHQL.

la7eralus
05-19-07, 07:54 PM
ok, uninstalled ALL Nvidia drivers from the pc, restarted into safe mode and ran driver cleaner and removed all nvidia options. I am currently restarting the machine and going to install the 158.22 whql drivers from the nvidia site, as well as the most current nforce 570 ultra amd drivers from the nvidia site, this will be the second time ive used driver cleaner to remove nvidia display drivers and the first time reinstalling nforce. I really hope this makes a difference.

Will post back soon.

la7eralus
05-19-07, 08:27 PM
Well, 10 min and wow and it happened again, this time the screen was red for a few seconds then went to black. How can it be a driver issue when ive tried every damn driver and made sure that all traces of each driver were totally gone.

Im starting to think i have a 1700$ pos...

RussianHAXOR
05-19-07, 08:53 PM
Yes, i agree it most certainly appears not to be a software issue. I would try to swap out videocards and see what happens then... like a cheap videocard. If it fails again then its your motherboard if it doesn't... then its your videocard.

la7eralus
05-19-07, 10:30 PM
Ok, yeah i went and called EVGA, they reccommended one of the 90x series nvidia drivers, which then gave me the same problem i was having, except out of wow...So thats a no go.

They also reccommended i check into my psu, which upon further inspection turned out to be more than enough power.

So, now, im running memtest86 to ensure its not my ram, im on test #7 atm with no errors found as of yet...sooooooo...ima go out for a bit, and when i come back if memtest still has no errors, ima try installing vista 64 bit just for shts n giggles and if it does it again, ill be packing up the video card and sending it back for a replacement.

What a nightmare...

la7eralus
05-21-07, 06:53 PM
Ok, memtest86+ ran for a day and a half w/ no errors, so that means my rams good.

Just for the hell of it i installed vista 64 bit to see if it made a difference, the os looks alot cooler, but the same problem still persists.

Soo, i called zipzoomfly and they gave me an rma number to replace the 8800 gts, i should have my new one in a few days, i really hope that fixes the problem.. =/

Mor1988
08-28-07, 06:34 AM
I have the same problem. A few weeks ago my Gainward Geforce 8800 GTS crashed on Vista x64 with a blue screen without text. And today the computer crashed with an orange screen on Linux 2.6.22. Is there a solution?