PDA

View Full Version : Testing an OC

Riptide
05-19-07, 06:13 PM
How do you guys test your overclocks? It was easy with my old ATI cards under XP. Just run the scanner from ATI Tool. But what about with an Nvidia card under Vista64? How do I test the mem overclock for artifacts? Is there any particular program to use?

Shocky
05-19-07, 06:30 PM
How do you guys test your overclocks? It was easy with my old ATI cards under XP. Just run the scanner from ATI Tool. But what about with an Nvidia card under Vista64? How do I test the mem overclock for artifacts? Is there any particular program to use?

Well the best artifact tester as far as I'm concerned are my eyes, just run some 3dmark06 tests maxed out with 8xAA, as soon as you start to see artifacting, back off 50mhz and use that as your OC.

I think you can also use the artifact testing with nvidia cards but it's unreliable.

ATOJAR
05-19-07, 06:44 PM
yip, when i did mine i just upped the **** core by 10MHz each time untill i seen slight artifacts in 3dmark06 then dropped it by 10MHz, the i flashed my cards bios to the current speeds.

Riptide
05-19-07, 06:46 PM
Any particular scene in 06 that I should look closely at?

ATOJAR
05-19-07, 06:47 PM
The second test, firefly forest.

Shocky
05-19-07, 06:51 PM
yip, when i did mine i just upped the **** core by 10MHz each time untill i seen slight artifacts in 3dmark06 then dropped it by 10MHz, the i flashed my cards bios to the current speeds.

The core increases in 27MHz jumps so it's importent to monitor the changes with rivatuners hardware monitor to know exactly at what points they change, dropping by 10mhz might not actually have any effect on the core speed.

ATOJAR
05-19-07, 06:58 PM
The core increases in 27MHz jumps so it's importent to monitor the changes with rivatuners hardware monitor to know exactly at what points they change, dropping by 10mhz might not actually have any effect on the core speed.

Ahhh yes, sorry that is correct!

Riptide
05-19-07, 07:02 PM
Does rivatuner work with Vista 64bit?

ATOJAR
05-19-07, 07:19 PM
Yeah.

RivaTuner v2.01 (http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.php?id=163&file=4&evp=1a9e1d03c2d1a82f01ef1d5db1bcab56)

Blacklash
05-19-07, 07:21 PM
I use ATi Tool's Articfact scan myself. I also use it to test my load temps by letting the cube in the test tumble for a few hours.

RussianHAXOR
05-19-07, 07:54 PM
I use ati tool to scan for artifacts for 10 minutes than if i dont get any i run 3dmark.

Riptide
05-19-07, 08:09 PM
Gah I tried loading atitool but the stupid vista driver signing won't allow me to run it.

RussianHAXOR
05-19-07, 08:54 PM
Wow, vista... what a .....

Riptide
05-19-07, 08:57 PM
Well artifact scanning still seems to work but I can't adjust clocks or tell what they are set at with it. Can't see temps either. Oh well.

I'll just run 3dmark06 and see what happens. The reason I'm doing this is because FarCry is giving me some texture shimmering but only when I'm zooming in with one of my weapons and it's always the vegetation. Might just be a driver issue but I want to be sure about it.

SlieTheSecond
05-19-07, 09:07 PM
Although people like to use their eyes. I would use software. Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it is not there.

I can run 3d mark 06 fine and not see a single artifact. Yet Ati Tool finds artifacts that I still can not see, within 2 minutes. Which means the overclock isn't stable.

Riptide
05-19-07, 09:19 PM
Fascinating. I have a TT Tsunami. This is a cramped, warm case.

Yet my temps never push over 78c when running the artifact scanner for 30 minutes? Do these 8800GTX cards really run this cool or is something wrong here?

agentkay
05-19-07, 09:31 PM
Some do, some donīt. Quite a few cards come with a far too thick thermal grease layer which increases idle but especially load temperatures but I think yours is one the better ones. The stock cooler with the proper amount of AS5 is pretty good, maybe 5 degrees worse than the HR03 (idle, more on load of course).

Riptide
05-19-07, 09:41 PM
Well I'm going to have to guess since I didn't notice any problems in FEAR and the fact that it passes 30 min. of artifact scanning that it's OK. The shimmering textures in FarCry must be a driver bug. But that's impossible! lol

Shocky
05-20-07, 07:32 AM
I use ati tool to scan for artifacts for 10 minutes than if i dont get any i run 3dmark.

I don't trust it, my max overclock before actually seing artifacts with my own eyes is 1045, but atitool seems to think 975 artifacts and even thats inconsistant, and i've been running my memory at 1025 for 6 months with zero problems so as far as I'm concerned its a complete waste of time.

Oh in vista it doesnt detect any upto 1045, and with slight clock adjust in XP it's somehow stable upto 1045 again.. Amusing little program, best ignored imo.

Riptide
05-20-07, 09:30 AM
I'm guessing that one of the best ways to tell genuine artifacting from a driver bug is that a bug in a game or a driver will always show up in the same exact spot every time. For instance white dots or a shimmering texture in the same place all the time means it's probably not a bad o/c causing the problem. But if the effect is random it's more likely to be caused by the o/c.

Banko
05-20-07, 10:42 AM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but you can still continue to use ATI Tool.

BCKator
05-20-07, 11:38 AM
As others have said, I use ATITool, but not really for artifact testing, just for stress testing. I've found nothing else that heats it up as much. If the system can handle an hour on this, it can handle any gaming situation. I've never seen artifacts from my 8800gtx; if pushed too far, it just hangs. I use rivatuner to dynamically control & monitor gpu, ram, and fan speeds.
-- BCK